Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mobile phone Data...

davyg

Reaction score
Does Freeflight6 eat into your mobile phone data allowance?, just curious as I only have a 500MB monthly data plan!, I have done a search but came up with nothing..

No, it does not, except when you are downloading maps, if you are not using a WiFi connection. So go somewhere with WiFi to do that.

No, it does not, except when you are downloading maps, if you are not using a WiFi connection. So go somewhere with WiFi to do that.
cheers, was just curious as to when a pilot was out in the field (no pun intended there ), and your phone is set to flight mode (aeroplane mode), would the app utilise your mobile data for your current location or whether it used Google offline maps that I had alread downloaded to my phone, say like if you were using Touch & fly modes

cheers, was just curious as to when a pilot was out in the field (no pun intended there ), and your phone is set to flight mode (aeroplane mode), would the app utilise your mobile data for your current location or whether it used Google offline maps that I had alread downloaded to my phone, say like if you were using Touch & fly modes

As I understand it, once you pre-download the area you will need, the app does not require internet connection while in-flight.
If you were to fly out of the area you pre-downloaded, I suppose it would show you a blank map, but I never tried.
Still, the drone has GPS tracking internally, so it should know all the time where it is on the map, and report the position to the remote and therefore Free Flight to display position on the map.

You might try and disable data on the phone and see what happens perhaps, but in any case I would not fly out of the pre-loaded map area, I do not necessarily trust drone and software in that situation, given there are occasional reports of glitches and other issues.

Last edited:
cheers, was just curious as to when a pilot was out in the field (no pun intended there ), and your phone is set to flight mode (aeroplane mode), would the app utilise your mobile data for your current location or whether it used Google offline maps that I had already downloaded to my phone, say like if you were using Touch & fly modes
If you have set it to aeroplane mode it cannot use mobile data. As I understand it, the app will download Google Earth imagery when you tell it to. Then you still have offline maps when out of cell range. What I don't know, and am curious about, is how big these files are, where they reside on the phone, and how to delete those you no longer need. They must be rather large, given the ability to zoom very close anywhere GE has good resolution.

cheers for the clarification... I suppose if you get a random opportunity for a flight in an area you don't have maps for then it would have to be a LOS flight..... if I am correct in my assumption... :)

cheers for the clarification... I suppose if you get a random opportunity for a flight in an area you don't have maps for then it would have to be a LOS flight..... if I am correct in my assumption... :)

I am not quite sure..
if you leave the data on, it will download the maps as needed though.
In the end, the cost of an extra 6gb with my mobile provider is around 1,5% the cost of the drone with an extra battery. Looking at Free Flight data usage when preloading maps, that would be enough for loading at least 30-40 different areas, and flying with maps on is way more convenient and probably safer than without.
So personally I would never go without.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randallt14