Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Munitions Stores

Krusty Geeza

Reaction score
Website
alexmausolf.com
A bit of mixed media, with some photo's from my DSLR & video from the Anafi combined of some abandoned munitions stores that were built back in WWII. I'm not happy with what I got here, I had tried creating a mapped out flight using Flight Plan, but had no idea what I was doing & it was about 40 degrees C that day, so I ended up cutting it all short & heading to cooler abandoned locations to investigate for that afternoon So, I'll be back soon, which is good actually as I have had time to think about angles, flight movements, etc... for hopefully much better footage.

I'm still working out frame rates, dimensions & other things in regards of capture & slowly learning to edit this stuff in FCPX. I also like to share my stuff, regardless of how amateurish it may currently be, as every bit of constructive criticism helps to evolve what I can do. Even just watching others videos provides ideas or inspiration to me!

Reactions: ufosaboveus
A bit of mixed media, with some photo's from my DSLR & video from the Anafi combined of some abandoned munitions stores that were built back in WWII. I'm not happy with what I got here, I had tried creating a mapped out flight using Flight Plan, but had no idea what I was doing & it was about 40 degrees C that day, so I ended up cutting it all short & heading to cooler abandoned locations to investigate for that afternoon So, I'll be back soon, which is good actually as I have had time to think about angles, flight movements, etc... for hopefully much better footage.

I'm still working out frame rates, dimensions & other things in regards of capture & slowly learning to edit this stuff in FCPX. I also like to share my stuff, regardless of how amateurish it may currently be, as every bit of constructive criticism helps to evolve what I can do. Even just watching others videos provides ideas or inspiration to me!

Hey.

I think you will get a much better result if you shot in 1080p 24-30 or maybe 50-60 FPS and at the same time did not raise the speed of your final product. Instead, you should practice flying Anafi smoot so that you avoid all the camera shake and alsp blur of your pan's (YAW). You will also get a better result by filming a day where the sun is shining behind some blur clouds or in direct cloudy weather.

Wondering about the look of some of the water holes near the AMO houses. It actually looks like they are covered with a thin layer of ice. But with 40 degrees Celsius in Australia, that can of course not be true ?

Regards, Leif.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Hey.

I think you will get a much better result if you shot in 1080p 24-30 or maybe 50-60 FPS and at the same time did not raise the speed of your final product. Instead, you should practice flying Anafi smoot so that you avoid all the camera shake and alsp blur of your pan's (YAW). You will also get a better result by filming a day where the sun is shining behind some blur clouds or in direct cloudy weather.

Wondering about the look of some of the water holes near the AMO houses. It actually looks like they are covered with a thin layer of ice. But with 40 degrees Celsius in Australia, that can of course not be true ?

Regards, Leif.
Howdy Leif, it was very windy for both of the videos I shared last night, it was the same day, about 45 k/ph at 10 metres, going up to about 55 k/ph at about 40 metres. So I stuck to about 30 metres as a maximum that day.

Regarding flying, I am practising this when I have the opportunity, trying one thing over & over at a time. I have set Film mode to slower speeds & responses again since these videos were taken.

Regarding light, there are ideal conditions, as a photographer I fully understand this, but then there is my life, where for reasons I won't go into here, I don't & never will drive, so I am reliant on the fortnightly longer sessions I have with my support worker to get to the spots I am wanting to capture, so the light is what it is on those days.

Regarding video:
  • Frame rates - I am still comparing the looks of the different options available to see what I like & what works best for the Australian electricity frequency of 60 Hz.
  • Shutter Speeds - I understand to use a slower shutter speed if doing yawing extensively, at a cost of a loss of detail at that moment, but that can be accomodated for easily enough. Just shoot at a shutter speed of 1/50 if capturing at 24 fps for normal, then really slow the shutter speed down for the yaw clips. This of course means being precise in location if wanting it all to look continuous, which is extremely hard to impossible to accomplish, so it means having edits in the resulting videos or shooting the whole thing at slower shutter speeds for that sweeping cinematic look. Well, that's my limited grasp of it all thus far, I am just new to it all.
  • Capture dimensions - I have found that if I record at 4K, then down-sample the end edit, I get better general detail & much better shadow/highlight detail as well as a slightly better dynamic range in the final output.
  • Ramping Speeds - I agree, get it 'in camera' if at all possible. That means learning how to fly with nice smooth yaws, as well as perfectly straight & faster, much faster! Also to avoid height changes too much, or to make them smoother & more gradual
  • Sweeps/Yaw - Because the Anafi captures only in mp4 format, this will potentially always be a problem when performed at speed, so needs the slowest frame rates possible to get silky smooth pans.
  • Compression/Exports - Finally, all this hard work is then affected by Youtube's compression, but interestingly not by Vimeo! I'll open a Vimeo free account & see if this is true for myself.
  • Camera Shake - I am learning that stronger winds are the enemy of smooth footage, slowly. Especially if flying slowly. In Sport mode, it's not such a problem, or so noticeable, but for me that is not of much benefit, unless I am taking long clips with longer distances travelled.
Thanks again for your input, Leif, it's appreciated, I learn from every discourse I have.

Regards, Leif.
Leif, I forgot, sorry!

The white is salt! In the distance you can see what is left of large salt pans here, with it all covered in white. They are something I want to get some footage of, before they disappear, as an expressway/motorway is being built right through the middle of them... Progress! :unsure:

Reactions: Landbo
Leif, I forgot, sorry!

The white is salt! In the distance you can see what is left of large salt pans here, with it all covered in white. They are something I want to get some footage of, before they disappear, as an expressway/motorway is being built right through the middle of them... Progress! :unsure:

I only saw the small ponds right next to the AMO houses. But it is a salt crust lying in the water and not ice.

Yes far away, one extracts salt from seawater. There is the explanation then.

Regards, Leif.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar