Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parachute

jvv

Reaction score
Hello, I want to buy a PARROT ANAFI THERMAL, but I need to put it a parachute to secure the flying, because it will be over people. Do anyone know any solution in the market?

Thank you!

I do not consider a parachute to be feasible on the Anafi. It will be extra weight, will need to be attached so that it can be deployed in any orientation and the Anafi would have to be at such a height that the parachute will fully inflate. Even then it would descend rather quickly unless the parachute is very large.

Where abouts are you that allows flying over people?

Thanks for your reply. In Spain, if you want to use the drone professionally in inhabited areas, you must install a system to reduce the impact so that they give you the go-ahead. Anafi Thermal exceeds the weight limit of 250 gr. I'm trying to find a feasible solution to work with it.

We have the exact same (stupid) rule here in France.

I’m afraid adding a parachute (and an autonomous radio-commanded system to launch the parachute) would be so heavy, as @Liger 1956 said, that it is not possible for the Anafi :

- The over-weight would reduce the flight time to few minutes.

- I learned also to fly professionally on heavier DJI systems equipped with parachutes (Phantom Pro 4), and if you need to launch a parachute to avoid a crash on people (and reduce the impacts ‘Joules’, you need first to cut the motors. There is no possibility to cut the motor on an Anafi with the existing command (SkyController 3). A motor cut is possible with DJI crossing the sticks inwards.
Of course we can imagine an ‘autonomous system to cut the motors’ but once again it would be extra weight and contra-productive for a 320g drone.

- The new European regulation (that will apply also to professionals), will propose a much better way to fly professionally, even over people, with a risk-based analysis.
This set of rule will of course apply to Spanish and French telepilots. You can reduce/mitigate the risk to lower value below the future 80 Joules limit (nowadays 69 Joules with a parachute in France) proving that the impact of a drone (weight, height, speed...) is lower than that ...

The new European CE rules were meant to be applied in July, but due to the virus, they have postponed it to January 2021... that will be my approach for the Anafi...

I may need further analysis to make it correct, but the potential Energy Ep expressed in Joules of an object falling from the sky is Ep = mgH (g is 9,81 m.s-2, m is the weight of an Anafi in kg so it’s 0,320 kg, and H is the heigth of the object in meter)

Example for the future EC rules for an Anafi flying at 25 m above the surface : the Energy of the impact would be 9.81 x 0,320 x 25 = 78.48 Joules -> Ok to fly above a ‘small group of people’ in the future (not a crowd but above a sidewalk on the street for example). I would set a heigth barrier on FF6 of 24 m...
At 30 m, it would be 94.18 Joules -> Not Ok to fly above a group of people.

Just for info, a parachute test on a DJI F450 from a company where I learnt ‘pro’ flight. Depending on how fast you react to cut the motors, launch the parachute, the attitude and altitude of the drone at the time of launch... it can be a failure (first attempt in the video), or a success (second attempt) :

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. If I can figure out a way to solve it, don't hesitate I will let you know.

Reactions: MustangPhil
Thanks for the help. If I can figure out a way to solve it, don't hesitate I will let you know.
I don't think there is a solution. The parachute also has weight, it needs a case, it also has weight, it needs an actuating spring structure, it also has weight. They gather so much extra weight that you can lift approx. Drones weighing 1kg are capable. Of the DJI consumer drones, only the Phantom and Mavic (2) pro have a parachute. Smaller drones cannot support their weight and there is not enough space to attach them.
I suggest you buy a Mavic mini as a second plane to fly over people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schaefer73