Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parrot Anafi time lapse feature

Anthony1980

Reaction score
Has anyone got the way to use the time lapse function on the Anafi I can use hyerlapse easy enough just not time lapse

Any instructions anywhere would help you tube etc

Cheers

Time-lapse allows you to capture a series of stills. You can select intervals of either time or distance, eg. a still every ten seconds or a still taken every 50 metres. I have done both, just to see how it works. It wasn't at all obvious to me why I would want to do it again. These are complicated toys, there's no need to play with every feature to get your money's worth out of a drone. I can't remember what steps are involved, I just remember trying to do it and managing to do it the first time. That's not particularly helpful, is it? I'll try again.

Time-lapse is selected in stills picture mode rather than video mode then you select Timelapse as the photo mode, then you select the time interval: 5,10,15, 30, 60 or 120 seconds.

GPS Lapse works in a similar way, a photo mode under the still camera mode, you can select an interval of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 or 200 metres between stills.

Hyperlapse is an option under the video mode, a hyper-lapse creates a video, Time-Lapse and GPS Lapse create a series of individual sequentially labelled stills.

I imagine these modes are demanded by people doing surveys rather than people being arty.

As described above, Timelapse takes a series of individual photos every X number of seconds. That’s it. That’s all it does. What you do with those photos is up to you.

One typical use is to join them all together as frames in a video. The effect is similar to Hyperlapse, but it’s usually nicer in terms of image quality.

Most video editing applications have a feature which will create the video for you. All you have to do is point it to the folder that contains all the photos.

Another use of timelapse is to help you capture a moment that you can’t predict. For example, you may be waiting for a herd of Elk to move down a mountainside to drink at a river. You know there will be some cool moments as they jostle and bump each other, but you can’t possibly know exactly when the best moments will be. Answer: shoot a bunch of photos (using timelapse) every few seconds, and just keep the best ones.

GPS-lapse does the same thing, except the Anafi will take a photo when it detects that it’s moved a certain distance. This can be useful for inspection work. For example, you could fly the Anafi along the side of a bridge (or under it using the upward gimbal tilt of the Anafi). Instead of remembering to shoot a photo every few yards, you can use timelapse to do it for you.

Those are some examples, but there are more uses for timelapse. Hope that helps.

Note: whether you use hyperlapse or timelapse to create a video, it is very likely that you will need to apply image stabilization to the result. Many video editing apps include a stabilization feature that will suffice for these types of videos. If the result is still herky-jerky, then you’ll need to use something like Premiere’s warp stabilizer or Final Cuts more intensive optical flow stabilization.

Great Job in your description. A very thoughtful and well reported response. You must be a teacher by trade? LOL Just what the dr. ordered for this Anafi newbie. :) Thanks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronni