Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parrot Disco video out of focus...

greektony

Reaction score
Hi all, as title says, the parrot disco which I took out earlier today for first time is pretty badly out of focus when I look back at the video footage. How do I fix this? Is there something I am missing in the FreeFlight app?

There are a few videos on youtube showing how to refocus the lens but most out of focus Disco's had been crashed. You just might have got one not focused right from the factory.

Reactions: greektony
There are a few videos on youtube showing how to refocus the lens but most out of focus Disco's had been crashed. You just might have got one not focused right from the factory.

Thanks for the quick reply. Not what I wanted to hear though!! As these Disco's are as rare as hens teeth in the UK. So does that mean the only option is to dismantle the camera housing and manually adjust the lens rather than being able to do anything in software?

Not knowing what the App might have but I have never seen a App have a option to focus the lens as it is a fix lens. I have changed lenses on action cams and getting the glue off to be able to spin the lens is not to hard. Just need to take your time. I find getting them focused the hard part :)

A lot of (all?) Discos have this issue in the cold. Some people have put some insulation so that the camera's own heat keeps it warm. The alternative is to unglue and refocus, but you'll likely have to redo it the other way when flying in the summer.

A lot of (all?) Discos have this issue in the cold. Some people have put some insulation so that the camera's own heat keeps it warm. The alternative is to unglue and refocus, but you'll likely have to redo it the other way when flying in the summer.

Thanks Kilrah, so basically you are telling me that I need to buy 2 :) 1 for the summer and 1 for the winter lol

Thanks Agustine, I shall scour youtube for some videos and amazon for any tools I need :)

Last edited:
Not much to it, sharp knife to cut the seal on the glue. Getting it focused you will need some kind of chart on a wall with lines running through it. A large monitor helps to see what you are doing. Might want to mark one for summer and one for winter somehow.

Thanks Kilrah, so basically you are telling me that I need to buy 2 :) 1 for the summer and 1 for the winter lol

Thanks Agustine, I shall scour youtube for some videos and amazon for any tools I need :)

I also echo Kilrah’s comments. Having flown my Disco in both sub-zero and heatwave temperatures there is a distinct difference in the resultant focus.

I have toyed with the idea of employing a similar technique I use with my astronomical telescopes and that is to use a resistor network around the lens as a low powered heater. The purpose with the telescopes is to combat due formation on the objective lens. I have used a similar system on the eyepieces which aren’t too much bigger than the camera assembly in the Disco.

Regards

Nidge.

I had same problem and its easy enough to sort as other posts have said, just be gentle and then set it in focus, I used flexible quick setting glue with it switched on throughout to ensure focus did not move during drying process. You will se a remarkable difference.

I have improved my focus issues by making a better seal between the nose cone hole and the camera. The camera is heated by warm air from the electronics, which should keep it at a reasonably stable temperature, but if cold air enters through the front in flight this will cause it to vary much more.

If yours is misaligned and leaking air, carefully cut the glue with a palette knife and reglue the nose flush onto the body, then put the chuck in and line up the hole with the camera before the glue sets. I also added a 20mm (internal) paper washer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut