Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RTH Safety Issue

RolfBertram.me

Reaction score
RTH safety issue: This picture illustrates my normal work setup for real estate photography. Within 10 meters radius is a roof, a tree, a power line. If RTH starts within that radius, I noticed the drone goes down first and then moves horizontally to RTH. This could hit a power line and knock out power to a whole neigborhoud. I suggest for safety reasons the done should always first keep altitude during RTH, even if close to RTH, and last it should decent only once it right above RTH point. It should be an easy firmware fix, and it could prevent very expensive accidents.1664

The "normal" RTH process (ascending to the chosen RTH height, then returning to the RTH point and landing there) is only performed, if the distance Anafi to RTH point is much larger than 12m (about 30m and more).

Reactions: mf22
RTH safety issue: This picture illustrates my normal work setup for real estate photography. Within 10 meters radius is a roof, a tree, a power line. If RTH starts within that radius, I noticed the drone goes down first and then moves horizontally to RTH. This could hit a power line and knock out power to a whole neigborhoud. I suggest for safety reasons the done should always first keep altitude during RTH, even if close to RTH, and last it should decent only once it right above RTH point. It should be an easy firmware fix, and it could prevent very expensive accidents.View attachment 1664

As stated above, The RTH operation is normal and makes sense. If the drone is that close to the home point it should just either land or move without a height gain. It should be well within your sight and you should be able to manually control it home and not rely on an automatic mode to get back. RTH is really only designed to get it back if you lose sight, the signal is lost, or the battery is very low. None of those should apply to your situation.
I am pretty sure that ANY drone will respond this way.

RTH safety issue: This picture illustrates my normal work setup for real estate photography. Within 10 meters radius is a roof, a tree, a power line. If RTH starts within that radius, I noticed the drone goes down first and then moves horizontally to RTH. This could hit a power line and knock out power to a whole neigborhoud. I suggest for safety reasons the done should always first keep altitude during RTH, even if close to RTH, and last it should decent only once it right above RTH point. It should be an easy firmware fix, and it could prevent very expensive accidents.View attachment 1664

If you want a safe RTH, you must start at least 25 meters from your workplace as Anafi will then go to the RTH height you have set before she returns to "home".

So I agree with you in your view of rising to a safe height before flying home. Unfortunately, all manufacturers of hobby drones did not seem to be that way. :(

Regards, Leif.

Of course, you may want a different RTH action and that, of course, is your prerogative, you shouldn't even be thinking about an automated RTH in the situation you describe. That, in my opinion, is asking for trouble.
If an Anafi can "take down" a power line, I think those power lines must be a joke

Of course, you may want a different RTH action and that, of course, is your prerogative, you shouldn't even be thinking about an automated RTH in the situation you describe. That, in my opinion, is asking for trouble.
If an Anafi can "take down" a power line, I think those power lines must be a joke
I am thinking about lost connection issue, and the drone will do automatic RTH. Also, it's not about destroying the power lines. It's about a short circuit between two conductors. Happens a lot from birds and squirrels, and that blows a huge fuse for 2000 homes in my area several times per year.

As stated above, The RTH operation is normal and makes sense. If the drone is that close to the home point it should just either land or move without a height gain. It should be well within your sight and you should be able to manually control it home and not rely on an automatic mode to get back. RTH is really only designed to get it back if you lose sight, the signal is lost, or the battery is very low. None of those should apply to your situation.
I am pretty sure that ANY drone will respond this way.
I read that other manufacturer's drones do the same. The issue is lost connection, and then RTH is automatic with no way to manually control it.

If you want a safe RTH, you must start at least 25 meters from your workplace as Anafi will then go to the RTH height you have set before she returns to "home".

So I agree with you in your view of rising to a safe height before flying home. Unfortunately, all manufacturers of hobby drones did not seem to be that way. :(

Regards, Leif.
That is a very good suggestion. A bit tricky to implement on small property, but easy to do on a large properties.

Reactions: Landbo
Within the distance you have expressed concern with, there should not be a connection loss.
On farther distances and there is a connection loss, it will go up to a set height before starting the return

I am thinking about lost connection issue, and the drone will do automatic RTH. Also, it's not about destroying the power lines. It's about a short circuit between two conductors. Happens a lot from birds and squirrels, and that blows a huge fuse for 2000 homes in my area several times per year.
I do understand your concern and can see how a bird or such might short the wires but a plastic drone will not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut