Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Should it stay or should it go???

RedDeviluk

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just having a brain fart moment, so rather than decide myself, I thought I'd throw it open to you all. Basically I bought a used, but CONDITION A (IE MINT) Anafi from CEX by post earlier this week. It's arrived in original box but there are two dings on the bodywork. I had some vouchers to use that I'd forgotten about, so basically paid £286 cash for it. I doubt I'll use the vouchers in the future. The USB C cable was also missing (but I have millions)

I've contacted CEX to highlight the issues and they've said bring it back for a refund.

I've tested the drone and all seems well. My head says send it back for a refund, my heart says keep it, it's only a few scratches.

What do you all think?
76c3872e5f468c03bca4002aa563da20.jpg
dc959c34812f8495390e5604be7acff6.jpg
c8e9734e366203293c8ab3a6d168c0c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If it flies fine and everything works as it should then I say who cares about a couple of scratches on a used Anafi. Getting one that has no scratches is not going to make fly any better :)
I would add these leg protectors and they will cover up your scratches and give the feet better protection.

Reactions: RedDeviluk
I'd keep it unless I had high confidence I could get one in better condition at the same price. As Augustine said, if it flies fine I don't see a downside to keeping it.

**** good price! I bought a refurb too and have had 0 problems so far. Just use a bit of 220 grit sandpaper and take a few strokes on the damage to make it less obvious. Mine had a ding on one corner of the battery similar to your gimbal arm......I can hardly see it now.

I would also check the props minutely and the prop screws for tightness. Most likely the props were replaced given the location of the damage. Then test every flight and camera mode you can think of.

I'm happy and I saved enough for a second battery and ND filters. I'm still $200 below the extended kit with two batteries and a fancy case. I just use the cardboard box which fits nicely inside my daypack.

Every flight hour makes me more impressed with this little drone!

It’s a pretty tough bird. I’ve crashed mine a few times this last week and it’s been only prop damage so far. I like that they break right away and the motors don’t take the hit. That front rash could be from a 3rd part gimbal cover that uses those arms for holding. The back is a crash but looks like pure cosmetic. My recent experience is don’t use 3rd part props ever on the Anafi. They don’t handle stress and break at the mount. I will never trust them again after my last few surprise crashes. All prop failure caused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have to agree that if the one you have is operating perfectly and otherwise in good shape...Keep it.... instead of hoping the replacement is good..
Just use a bit of sandpaper to smooth out those scuffs and enjoy it!!
The first one that I got from Best Buy had a terrible camera gimbal issue. I took it back to Best Buy the next day and they happily replaced it with another which has been good.
If you have to ship it back and then wait for other one/ replacement...who knows what the next pre-owned one will be?

I think Rocky the FS brought up a good point.
Keep it and with the money you saved buy a second battery.

Well Guys, I decided to keep it, took it for a low and slow spin around and all works perfectly. Just bought myself insurance and a case so now I'm good to go. All I need to buy is a shorter USB C lead. Any idea (roughly) how short the original lead is as mine are all pretty long.

Cheers.

Rich
469c824bbe6aae9999ee32de08c6709e.jpg
216ab705a4ee13943d332552bfd1ca62.jpg
0279d0084496fbc2f12f4e7e1bb59632.jpg
b07c09b9193c5e19ac72835ab62a0c36.jpg

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
The cable that came with my second one is 20 inches (black in color). My first Anafi was only about 8 inches (white in color). I use a Anker cable that is pretty long and just roll it up but I know that it is a good cable and not the cheap ones they send you :)

....All I need to buy is a shorter USB C lead. Any idea (roughly) how short the original lead is as mine are all pretty long.

This is the one I bought, about 8 inches. Stays out of the way.
Amazon.com: USB a to USB c Cable TecMad 90 Degree Plug Nylon Braided Type C to USB 3.0 Cable for New MacBook,Nexus 5X,Samsung s9 s8 Note 9,LG V30 V20 G6 G5,Hero 6/5,DJI Mavic Pro Drone and More-0.8ft/0.25m Grey: Computers & Accessories

Of course return it. If you found it when you open the box. It is a defected product already.

I also use a short Nylon version cable (not the same brand) and I am really happy with it.
Just wanted to point an advantage on short cables : My phone did slide and ‘pop-out’ of the controller and instead of crashing the phone on the ground, it kept attached to the SC3 via the short cable.

The fun part, as I was still flying Line Of Sight, I just detached my phone and put it back in my pocket, and could safely flight the Anafi back to me and land with the SC3 unconnected to the phone. I was a little anxious about it but could manage that ‘the light way’...

The second fun part (?) of this thread, is with an initial post from a UK fellow owner of the Anafi, and with a title stating ‘should it stay or should it go ?’, I did not even think of making a stupid joke about the Brexit. I think I’m now half cured ;o)
Sorry, I promise I won’t do it again.

Last edited:
Well Guys, I decided to keep it, took it for a low and slow spin around and all works perfectly. Just bought myself insurance and a case so now I'm good to go. All I need to buy is a shorter USB C lead. Any idea (roughly) how short the original lead is as mine are all pretty long.

Cheers.

Rich
469c824bbe6aae9999ee32de08c6709e.jpg
216ab705a4ee13943d332552bfd1ca62.jpg
0279d0084496fbc2f12f4e7e1bb59632.jpg
b07c09b9193c5e19ac72835ab62a0c36.jpg

Can I ask what insurance you got for it please? From where, how much and what does it cover in UK.

I'm thinking of buying an Anafi and had some issues with BB2 and so wouldn't mind some peace of mind with insurance if it covers crashes, fly aways, fall from sky etc.

Thanks

Can I ask what insurance you got for it please? From where, how much and what does it cover in UK.

I'm thinking of buying an Anafi and had some issues with BB2 and so wouldn't mind some peace of mind with insurance if it covers crashes, fly aways, fall from sky etc.

Thanks

No problems MrQ11. I got mine (after researching) covered with "COVERDRONE". The policy cost me £55.92. This was to insure my Anafi for a replacement (£499). The excess is £100 but it does cover me for theft, damage, flying over water, flyaways etc. It also covers me for 1,000.000 public liability and public damage. You can also cover yourself for equipment such as tablets etc, but as the excess is £100 for that I decided against it as it would be covering an additional battery (which costs £89) and I fly with my phone (which is already covered, so it didn't seem worth it in the end).

If you need anything further, feel free to give me a shout.

Rich

Reactions: MrQ11
Thanks Rich. That seems decent price, quite high excess though, but least means if fly away and Parrot won't support you get a new one for £100.

I'm thinking of CEX as well, although heard Amazon are great with any problems as well, CEX only have had B at mo for £370, but nervous on the potential state would come.

Maybe wait for Amazon price to come down a bit.

How are you finding it? No problems? Disconnections, etc?

Thanks

I really can't fault CEX, their returns policy is that if it arrives and you don't want it, walk into the nearest store and return it for a full refund, for me it was a no brainer. I wanted to buy it as cheaply as possible so it was essential disposable. Using the long forgotten vouchers was great. Now, if I crash my drone, I'll pay my £100 excess and get a brand new drone which will still be over £100 cheaper than buying brand new... So it's basically a trainer.

I'm loving it, I've had some DJI products in the past which I bought brand new but was always too afraid to fly due to the cost. With this and the insurance, it's increased my confidence so previous best distance of a few hundred feet was increased this weekend to over half a mile and over water.

I'm using the modded app for a better signal strength, but at half a mile out and a hundred feet up, I had signal to spare. I've also just purchased a spare battery at £69 rather than the usual £89. I figure if it crashes, I can sell the spare battery and the controller to pay the excess.

Where are you based?

Cheers,

Rich
e53517c1dd14e54c739a17785d93b9e0.jpg
73f717db4a8d93266148cd9a0003f5c6.jpg

Reactions: MrQ11
Know exactly what you mean. There's so much can go wrong and drop from the sky, which isn't user fault.

I would love say a Mavic 2 zoom, but don't have £1300 to risk as such, so Anafi seems good bet with good specs, and the insurance is interesting.

Where did you get your cheaper battery from? Always need 2 batteries really I think as well.

What's the modded app you mention? Thought you had to use freeflight 6?

Thanks

It took 16 days to arrive, but worth that fit the money saved:

The modded app is exactly the same as FF6, it basically had the FCC signal strength enabled that they enjoy in the US. I didn't do it for range, more for a better signal, though the original app is just as capable of your not flying miles away (and I'm not).

Loving it so far