Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SkyShit Booster mods for BB2 any good?

Im not getting that distance with the boosters so that cannot be the issue

Another reason for disconnect, Parrot set parameters with SkyController 2 maximum distance is 2.1 miles, around 3400 meters.

Your bebop 2 will disconnect at this range, but will reconnect on flight back well it should reconnect.

Paul

I ordered a second booster for the drone since I have two Bebop 2's. I think my best bet is to install it in the second drone to see where the problem is. Its a busy several weeks with back to back camping trips so it may be two weeks before I get to do it. I have been flying it anyway, at least it still gets stock range.

Mike

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I have a Anafi with Skytroller 3 and it cam use 5ghz wifi... is this a pretty simple plug and play install? My main gripe with the Anafi is the range so this would be great of it isnt something I can screw up too easily.
SKYSHIT 3 BOOSTER MOD KIT 2020 FOR ANAFI/SKYCONTROLLER 3 (CE MODE -> GOD MODE)

SALE

$151.00

Regular price$168.00

Shipping calculated at checkout.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I have a Anafi with Skytroller 3 and it cam use 5ghz wifi... is this a pretty simple plug and play install? My main gripe with the Anafi is the range so this would be great of it isnt something I can screw up too easily.
SKYSHIT 3 BOOSTER MOD KIT 2020 FOR ANAFI/SKYCONTROLLER 3 (CE MODE -> GOD MODE)

SALE

$151.00

Regular price$168.00

Shipping calculated at checkout.

Easy to install,plug and play,you will need parrot tool kit to remove screws,you will need 2 batterys,here the ones i am using
if you dont have RC ballance Battery charger And dont know how to solder wires and make adapter to be able to hook up skycontroller 3 directly to charger,you will have To buy usb charger for 18350 batterys,here is One i purchased
you will have to open skycontroller 3 and remove batterys every time to charge them,not big deal,it takes less than minute to do that and batterys also charge very fast.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Easy to install,plug and play,you will need parrot tool kit to remove screws,you will need 2 batterys,here the ones i am using
if you dont have RC ballance Battery charger And dont know how to solder wires and make adapter to be able to hook up skycontroller 3 directly to charger,you will have To buy usb charger for 18350 batterys,here is One i purchased
you will have to open skycontroller 3 and remove batterys every time to charge them,not big deal,it takes less than minute to do that and batterys also charge very fast.
Thanks man.. I am pretty sure I have a charger from my vaping days stashed somewhere.. that doesnt sound too bad.. do people say the results are well worth the $?

Thanks man.. I am pretty sure I have a charger from my vaping days stashed somewhere.. that doesnt sound too bad.. do people say the results are well worth the $?

I picked up the same SkyController 3 booster setup, actually this is my second kit recently picking up a 2020-mid version.

Parrots latest SC3 firmware, can’t remember which one but it greatly effected transmission signal here for States side. I can’t get the same distance as before, before the update it was working great.

What ever you do, don’t sell the kit especially with this recent Parrot firmware update effecting performance. I personally wouldn’t want to pass along my issues to another party, keep the kit and get with Solaris maybe he can offer tips to get maximum performance.

Paul

I picked up the same SkyController 3 booster setup, actually this is my second kit recently picking up a 2020-mid version.

Parrots latest SC3 firmware, can’t remember which one but it greatly effected transmission signal here for States side. I can’t get the same distance as before, before the update it was working great.

What ever you do, don’t sell the kit especially with this recent Parrot firmware update effecting performance. I personally wouldn’t want to pass along my issues to another party, keep the kit and get with Solaris maybe he can offer tips to get maximum performance.

Paul
If Parrot could get the flight distance improved they would really have a competitive drone.. I love the app, form factor and quietness of the anafi..and the lack of NFZs. Not to mention the camera is pretty **** good in this price range

If Parrot could get the flight distance improved they would really have a competitive drone.. I love the app, form factor and quietness of the anafi..and the lack of NFZs. Not to mention the camera is pretty **** good in this price range

I agree, the camera is really good. Zoom, is super. Flight distance was good two years ago, these recent updates took that away.

My two SkyController 3 mod kits, latest version mod kit is currently on. My original SkyController 3 mod kit, I changed the battery setup replacing smaller 4.2 volt 18350 batteries with a set of 18650 batteries. This increased battery time and accessible for quick replacement with another fully charged set.

I’ll take the anafi out for a flight this week, haven't flown it a while. Will use Auriga Anafi app, see how that goes.

Paul

B4555636-2FBC-43F3-8E95-42B0D9605B00.jpeg

I agree, the camera is really good. Zoom, is super. Flight distance was good two years ago, these recent updates took that away.

My two SkyController 3 mod kits, latest version mod kit is currently on. My original SkyController 3 mod kit, I changed the battery setup replacing smaller 4.2 volt 18350 batteries with a set of 18650 batteries. This increased battery time and accessible for quick replacement with another fully charged set.

I’ll take the anafi out for a flight this week, haven't flown it a while. Will use Auriga Anafi app, see how that goes.

Paul

View attachment 4817
Let me know how it goes. I am pretty interested in this mod if it shows a pretty significant improvement over stock. I have a spare skytroller to mess around with (had a anafi die mid flight into a channel)

Ive been busy the past few weeks with camping trips and such so I haven't had time to look into why my booster kit is not working properly. As last stated, I think the issue is with the drone, when I bought the kit I did buy a second booster for a second drone so I am going to install the booster in my second drone and see if that works. That would prove the issue is in the original drone.

So to be sure I am following the instructions right, this is the connections to the booster from the drone. I found in a video the primary antenna is the connection on the right of the drone correct?

The booster's antenna connections are they correct?

Mike

Attachments

• 0927201854 (Medium).jpg
    0927201854 (Medium).jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 8
Ive been busy the past few weeks with camping trips and such so I haven't had time to look into why my booster kit is not working properly. As last stated, I think the issue is with the drone, when I bought the kit I did buy a second booster for a second drone so I am going to install the booster in my second drone and see if that works. That would prove the issue is in the original drone.

So to be sure I am following the instructions right, this is the connections to the booster from the drone. I found in a video the primary antenna is the connection on the right of the drone correct?

The booster's antenna connections are they correct?

Mike
Hello Mike,

Yes, you have both cables connected to proper sides. Here’s additional information added you your picture, keep us posted if replacing the mini board solves the issue. If not, get back with Solaris or even me and we figure this out.

All the best,
Paul

E2D1350A-0012-4734-8F41-5CA8F0759AC3.jpeg

I can confirm I do see an LED light on the booster board with the original drone so the board is getting power. The flights with it either the range is the same as stock or only a little bit better. I have posted my findings up above.

Hopefully I will see a difference with boosting the second drone, then I can look at the first drone to see why it isn't working as it should.

Mike

I completed the drone, but due to weather and time I didn't have time to take it for a good test flight. I just launched it and climbed to max altitude and brought it down. Not a good test.

Opened the controller back up because I wanted to check it out and one of the buttons popped out of place so I wanted to fix that. I noticed one of the booster's boards LED light was dim compared to the other one. That is weird. So I took them off to check the connections and one of the wifi connection pads popped off. So I have to replace it. Thankfully spares were included with the kit. I have 2 left.

Not sure if that was why the LED was dimmer. Ran out of time so I will solder a new one on tonight.

Mike

Attachments

• 0929201840 (Medium).jpg
    0929201840 (Medium).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 8
  • 0929201843 (Medium).jpg
    0929201843 (Medium).jpg
    185 KB · Views: 8
  • 0929201847_HDR (Medium).jpg
    0929201847_HDR (Medium).jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 9
The U.FL connector that fell off was probably the reason for the weak light, wasn’t soldered on strong enough for good connection.

If you damage or loose the last two spare U.FL connectors, you can bypass using a U.FL connector and solder the cables two leads directly to board same area the U.FL connector was supposed to go. Cut off the connector at end of cable, trim ends and solder two leads to board.

After soldering both leads to board, apply a small strip of industrial tape over soldered area to prevent these two soldered leads from tearing out during reassembly.

You're almost there, it’s a terrific mod well worth the loops to go through. Hang in there, won’t be long your Bebop 2 will have super low level performance.

Paul

I didn't have power on the main board, the controller was off. Hopefully tonight I can fix that broken connection, I have 2 left, worst case Ill do as you suggested, just solder the wires on.

I found on the other side of the board where the center connections make contact so I can verify all soldered connections.

Mike

Last night I soldered a replacement connection on the board (not shown) I then verified the continuity between the wifi connections and the antennas and the board. (Red, Blue arrows) as was shown in the installation video he produced. I also verified the continuity to the circuit board via the yellow arrows. (both pictures) I also verified there is no short to ground (red/blue crossing, yellow/ground crossing)

Assembled the controller, the LED on the one booster board is still dimmer then the other. Probably have to wait until Friday for a test flight to see if this fixes the problem. I will test both drones.

Mike

Attachments

• 0929201847_HDR (Medium).jpg
    0929201847_HDR (Medium).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 0930201939 (Medium).jpg
    0930201939 (Medium).jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 5
Did some testing today. I dug up an older flight back when the drone was pure stock and did the same flight today with both drones. The distance was basically the same between the two. With the boosters, the rance was slightly more then doubled before loss of signal. Since both drones compared the same, if there is an issue with the range, its in the controller. Even after fixing the soldering connection the one booster board in the Skycontroller is still dim. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

Is there any way I can do some testing to see if the kit is working properly? Flight data shows Wifi Signal is around -72DbM when it loses signal. Still seems it should still have a lock. When the drone was stock, loss of signal did not occur until wifi dropped to -88dBm.

The display on screen (android) still shows a decent wifi connection when it loses signal.

Mike

Attachments

• ExpertGPS-1416-1026.jpg
    ExpertGPS-1416-1026.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 4
While I was flying this test flight, for the heck of it, I turned the drone to a different direction and flew over the towns and was able to get about 4,000 feet away before loss of signal. This is from the same launching point as before. The downside is I don't have a "stock" flight of this. I do however have a Bebop 2 power and a spare controller (black Joystick) that I could use to make a "stock" flight and see the difference.

I plan on some flying today with my brother who also has a Bebop 2 so I can use this to compare.

Mike

Attachments

• ExpertGPS-1416-1026A.jpg
    ExpertGPS-1416-1026A.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot Peckville.jpg
    Screenshot Peckville.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 2
That will work, use your brothers spare controller to compare. You can even fly low level flights and compare, drop bebop 2 at a certain distance and compare with a stock controller. The modified controller Bebop 2 should fly lower, just an idea to pass along.

Good luck

We took some flights today and compared. One example is he was able to fly to about 177 meters and I was able to go about 320 meters in the same direction before loss of signal. I don't have his flight data to compare. I was seeing an average of 50% more distance compared to stock. It is better then stock, but seems like from looking at the videos about the boosters it should be better. Or is this all that the boosters can do? In all cases I see a reading of -72dBm when I lose signal. The small wifi graph on Freelight still shows a decent signal so I am wondering if something is still not right.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood