Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Still to windy for the boys to go out and play

Agustine,
I'm curious,- the Anafi with golden (?) skin: is this the one hanging in a tree for weeks or your new one?

No that is the new one. The old one is just for parts now as the camera horizontal is way off and I don't trust it other then short flights in the back yard.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
I'm thinking about buying the mechanical repair kit directly from the Parrot shop for having replacement parts.
... still have a 40% voucher they gave me for translating the manual 2.4 into German .... ;)

I'm thinking about buying the mechanical repair kit directly from the Parrot shop for having replacement parts.
... still have a 40% voucher they gave me for translating the manual 2.4 into German .... ;)

Cool. What I found with the first Anafi is the connections on the cables are a trouble spot. A hard impact seems to displace them and not make good contact. This was the problem I had when the camera would not calibrate until I reseated the cables. The first Anafi also seems to not be to stable when it is using the bottom camera until it gets over 11 feet and when GPS takes over. It tends to wonder a lot more then the new one. I did a 360 pano with it the other day and there where a lot of mistakes where before it was always perfect. So it will be my parts Anafi :)

Last few days start out nice but by 8AM the winds pick up and we even had light snow today :(
The boys want to go play LOL

View attachment 1921

View attachment 1923
Blueb.jpg
It's been a bit windy in England too. While it was too windy for flying far and high it has been possible to fly in the woods, at knee height, following the bees around the bluebells.

They are great. I have two Anafis so I got two sets, at different times from different sources at different prices. The guards themselves seem just the same! They feel very light and suggest that they would be brittle but I only use them for keeping vegetation out of the props or guarding against a grazing impact with a wall or to make the drone look less of a danger when flying near people or wildlife. They push fit over the legs and seem to grip on three sides. The best thing about them is how fast they can be added and taken off again. I have prop guards for the DJI Spark, three different kinds, and they are all less satisfactory than these for the Anafi because they take much longer to put on and take off. If prop guards take two or three minutes to put on and take off you will leave them on when you shouldn't or leave them off when you shouldn't. These take half a minute to snap on and off the full set.

I haven't tested them for impact on top speed and so on because I can't foresee any situations in which I would be using them and expecting to be flying far or fast. I think they have some effect. When hand launching the drone I suggest holding the drone out quite high because it tends to drop as it isn't anticipating as much weight, launch shoulder high rather than waist high. By the time it has dropped half a metre or so it compensates and will then hover as well as ever. It probably catches a little more wind and so will use more power. I recommend them heartily for those flights when they will be useful: when people might be watching you, when looking up at bridges and viaducts, when flying close to walls or when flying very low over vegetation you don't want to scythe away. They are not perfect. I have crashed into a twig with the prop guards on and ended up with a damaged prop anyway. I have also managed to behead one bluebell, but without them on I expect there would have been much more accidental damage.

The reason I bought them was following a crash at a viaduct, looking up at the arch, doing the Anafi's party-piece. I was manoeuvring very slowly and returning the gimbal to horizontal when the props clipped the wall causing the drone to drop about ten metres. Fortunately, it landed in long grass and the only damage was to one of the props. If it had prop guards on it would have just gently bounced off.

This morning I had a chance to get out and fly. Still cold this morning minus 2C so my finger tips were pretty cold. Had both Anafi's out. Just breaking in the new one and the old one I was playing around with follow me. Never spent much time using it so it was good to test some things out. Worked very well with my LG G6 phone.

Picture of the new one out playing in the sun.

Its one of those Vinyl Decal wrap Covers you can buy from Ebay or Amazon. For the price I am not to impressed but I will see just how long it will last before I pass final judgment LOL

I'm curious on the 'add ons' and the noise. I bought a set of the prop guards for mine and the first time out, it was windy, the anafi got hit by a strong wind gust and 'fluttered' momentarily. It was about 100 feet up, on it's way back in on RTH mode. I thought a bird had attacked it, that's how violent the motion was. I panicked, thinking it was going to crash from that high up, but it didn't and returned ok. Upon inspection, I saw where one of the blades had impacted the guard, just enough to nick the leading edge at the tip. I removed the guards and have not put them back on.
Then I attached a set of the leg extenders, to allow it to sit higher. I flew it this weekend with those on and it seemed louder, even at a great distance, I could now hear the Anafi, even when it was too far away to see. I removed those as well yesterday.
Just curious on others experiences with add on pieces to their Anafi.

Seems to depend on how windy it is. If really windy I can hear the Anafi fighting the wind, motors revving higher so its noisier

Maybe it was just the wind, it was in the 20 mph speeds yesterday. I have noticed, on the dead calm days, the Anafi is very quiet, windy days, a lot more noise, so maybe the attachments aren't the cause? I have noticed, or it looks like it anyway, that on windy days, with either the prop guards or the leg extenders, the drone catches more wind and isn't as stable in flight or hover. More drag, more wind resistance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Turbeville