Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The importance of keeping your device's OS up to date

PollyWannaFly

Reaction score
We all face it at one time or another: the dreaded 'An OS Update is available for your *device name here*'. I for one most often dismiss them, for they're a hassle, may corrupt use of my favorite apps requiring them to be updated, etc. But recently aquiring my first drone (Anafi) had me tearing my hair out trying to get Anafi/Skycontroller3/iPhone 6s to play together nicely. It began with the initial install of Freeflight6 & its' automatic requirement to update the firmware of both the Skycontroller3 and the Anafi. 90% into the Skycontroller's update, it froze into an hourglass state for over 15 minuets. No other option to take other than 'Cancel' & hopefully re-try. From that point onward, my iPhone 6s with IOS 11.7.2 would not recognize the Skycontroller3. Every suggestion from Parrot Support as well as suggestions from this ultra-supportive forum were tried, but nothing worked. I was at wit's end, and apparently I wasn't alone, for other forum members were facing similar issues with their setups.
Weeks of hopeless trials past, when I discovered that Apple was inviting me to update my IOS from 11.7 to 12.5 (my iPhone 6s won't support IOS 13 or higher). I pondered the idea of deleting *yet again* FF6 from my iPhone, installing Apple's IOS update & then re-installing FF6, all at the risk of having my other installed apps balk at the new OS they don't comprehend. In the end I bit the bullet. 45min. later I carefully re-installed FF6 but did NOT open it once install completed. Shut off WIFI, turned on Location Services, powered up SC3 and then Anafi. Once they sync'd up, I then connected my iPhone to my SC3. FF6 automatically opened requesting allowance to my device's systems & agreement to Parrot's T&Cs (which it hadn't done since the initial installation!). Two 'OK's later I had complete connections amongst all three components! A small yet powerful miracle had been witnessed :)
It's silly, but Parrot Support never suggests that you confirm that your device's OS is up to date in relation to the Firmware updates you're committed to download. On the surface, most OS updates don't reveal all that they're modifying - that detail is provided to app developers exclusively. The OS providers can suggest app modifications in order to maintain stability in their products, and it's up to the app developers to accept or waive the suggestions. Does the consumer need to know?? Not directly...until their beloved app no longer functions the way it should! Yet the OS revision is hardly ever taken into consideration by the end user (that's you & I) - probably because it's such a dreaded chore to update them you'd rather not face it. Paint me 'Guilty as Charged'.
In closing, I'd like to remind all who have read this to randomly check your current device's OS level often & search for revision updates, that you've most likely bypassed at the sake of 'current stability' across the device's platform. You might be pleasantly surprised to find your device is quicker, safer and above all else 'stable as a rock'! In fact, why not do it now?? ;)
Hope this helps many.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRC and Liger 1956
I am glad that you got things sorted eventually. A simple "your OS needs updating to run FF6" message would have been useful to you.

Hey Pollywanafly
Excellent news persistence paid off
Now you will be able to enjoy a much better flying experience using controller
Good job and happy flying!

Thanks, guys! It sure does feel good just to see that unobstructed screen ;)
Liger: HA! That message would help Everyone!! In fact, I confirmed to myself that 'If there was an incompatability issue I'd have been alerted & the download would abort' - that never happened thou...so why assume it'd be THAT?? Now, what would take the braintrusts at Parrot to firmly recommend that the presumed platform/OS be up to date before installing FF6? NO! Instead they'd rather suggest you try an entirely different device AFTER you're faced with a failed download!! Highly absurd!
BRC: I'm sure it was a response from you within another forum (Bebop I think??) that lead me to consider the OS as a likely cause. Thank You, Sir :D

We all face it at one time or another: the dreaded 'An OS Update is available for your *device name here*'. I for one most often dismiss them, for they're a hassle, may corrupt use of my favorite apps requiring them to be updated, etc. But recently aquiring my first drone (Anafi) had me tearing my hair out trying to get Anafi/Skycontroller3/iPhone 6s to play together nicely. It began with the initial install of Freeflight6 & its' automatic requirement to update the firmware of both the Skycontroller3 and the Anafi. 90% into the Skycontroller's update, it froze into an hourglass state for over 15 minuets. No other option to take other than 'Cancel' & hopefully re-try. From that point onward, my iPhone 6s with IOS 11.7.2 would not recognize the Skycontroller3. Every suggestion from Parrot Support as well as suggestions from this ultra-supportive forum were tried, but nothing worked. I was at wit's end, and apparently I wasn't alone, for other forum members were facing similar issues with their setups.
Weeks of hopeless trials past, when I discovered that Apple was inviting me to update my IOS from 11.7 to 12.5 (my iPhone 6s won't support IOS 13 or higher). I pondered the idea of deleting *yet again* FF6 from my iPhone, installing Apple's IOS update & then re-installing FF6, all at the risk of having my other installed apps balk at the new OS they don't comprehend. In the end I bit the bullet. 45min. later I carefully re-installed FF6 but did NOT open it once install completed. Shut off WIFI, turned on Location Services, powered up SC3 and then Anafi. Once they sync'd up, I then connected my iPhone to my SC3. FF6 automatically opened requesting allowance to my device's systems & agreement to Parrot's T&Cs (which it hadn't done since the initial installation!). Two 'OK's later I had complete connections amongst all three components! A small yet powerful miracle had been witnessed :)
It's silly, but Parrot Support never suggests that you confirm that your device's OS is up to date in relation to the Firmware updates you're committed to download. On the surface, most OS updates don't reveal all that they're modifying - that detail is provided to app developers exclusively. The OS providers can suggest app modifications in order to maintain stability in their products, and it's up to the app developers to accept or waive the suggestions. Does the consumer need to know?? Not directly...until their beloved app no longer functions the way it should! Yet the OS revision is hardly ever taken into consideration by the end user (that's you & I) - probably because it's such a dreaded chore to update them you'd rather not face it. Paint me 'Guilty as Charged'.
In closing, I'd like to remind all who have read this to randomly check your current device's OS level often & search for revision updates, that you've most likely bypassed at the sake of 'current stability' across the device's platform. You might be pleasantly surprised to find your device is quicker, safer and above all else 'stable as a rock'! In fact, why not do it now?? ;)
Hope this helps many.
It's a good idea to switch on "Auto Update" on your device. Then you always have the newest OS or bugfixes.

I have been in the IT SWE business for way too long to know:
Just because a new OS is out doesnt mean that everything will work fine. A new App Update will follow that same mantra.

I dont use my mobile. Instead I use a slightly older Ipad mini which tolerates longer updates.

Moral of the story
Let somebody else be the guinea pig.
Make a good backup Before.
Test before you fully update/upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood