Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Strong Interference

Flyer

Reaction score
Hi. I have had this happen twice while flying my new Anafi. In the app (at the bottom) a warning appears stating "Strong Interference" with a yellow background. I'm at a loss to understand why this is happening. The first time it happened I lost total control over the drone for approximately 4 minutes. The second time I was fortunate not to loose control of the drone. Could someone assist me with this issue?
Thanks in advance

You are getting interference from wifi around you or the drone,(remember that the wifi signals may be stronger where the drone is as it flies away from you)
Use an app like WiFi Analyzer to sniff the area around you and choose a channel that has no or little traffic on it.
Try using the 5GHz band if you have access to it or if you have no access because of your location restrictions you’ll have to spoof your gps location to give you access.

Reactions: Jed Anafi and Flyer
How far was the drone and where you in a busy area (residential/commercial)?

Strong interference which means just that... you should get the drone closer to ensure the connection isnt lost. For starter, make sure the controller antenna face the drone with clear line of sight. Not even your body in the way.

5 GHZ may get you a better signal but only short range. Whenver i ve tried using it, range was limited to 500' or so. It is useful for short range flight in busy areas but not for longer distance

Reactions: Flyer
I get this a lot in MIAMI, and as PascalG says. I always try to be at the highest elevation I can get. Even standing on a deck or balcony, or just 6 ft off the ground makes a difference. I haven't found switching to 5 Ghz makes a difference for me, however it might work for you. This is an issue you have to figure out for your location.

Hi. I have had this happen twice while flying my new Anafi. In the app (at the bottom) a warning appears stating "Strong Interference" with a yellow background. I'm at a loss to understand why this is happening. The first time it happened I lost total control over the drone for approximately 4 minutes. The second time I was fortunate not to loose control of the drone. Could someone assist me with this issue?
Thanks in advance

It may also be your own phone that interferes with the WiFi, try to put the phone in flight mode. Additionally, it would be an advantage to let the controller / Anafi manage to find the shared channel to work on. The WiFi signal spectrum looks quite different from where Anafi is located than on the place you are standing. Locking up to a single channel is, in my opinion, the same as asking for big problems with the connection.

Fly safe, greetings Leif.

How far was the drone and where you in a busy area (residential/commercial)?

Strong interference which means just that... you should get the drone closer to ensure the connection isnt lost. For starter, make sure the controller antenna face the drone with clear line of sight. Not even your body in the way.

5 GHZ may get you a better signal but only short range. Whenver i ve tried using it, range was limited to 500' or so. It is useful for short range flight in busy areas but not for longer distance
It may also be your own phone that interferes with the WiFi, try to put the phone in flight mode. Additionally, it would be an advantage to let the controller / Anafi manage to find the shared channel to work on. The WiFi signal spectrum looks quite different from where Anafi is located than on the place you are standing. Locking up to a single channel is, in my opinion, the same as asking for big problems with the connection.

Fly safe, greetings Leif.

Thanks Leif.
It has happened again yesterday! I have a 'roof inspection' business and went to access a job near where I live. I decided to have a prelim look at the roof before quoting. Placed the Anifi on the concrete drive outside the building (big METAL shed) and it launched. Up to 2/3 meters all fine. As soon as I got higher the 'strong interference' warning appeared at the bottom of the screen. Didn't loose control of the drone though.
Just recapping on my first post that started this conversation. I was at a house (mine) at the top end of Fraser Island off the coast of Australia all last week. We were doing a considerable amount of work around the property each day and I was videoing it every day. The second last day was when the big loose happened - no control over the drone. The drone was 4/6 meters in the air at the time and about the same distance away from me. Go figure!
I know I'm missing something here but not sure what.
I have a Yuneec Typhoon H also and have never had a problem with the wifi connection on that.
I love my Anifi and it is very frustrating to have this happening but not all the time.
Just to finish. I'm a licenced drone piolet here in Oz and I fly by the rules both visually, altitude and distance.

Reactions: Philb
Did you install a "Wifi Analyzer" app on your smartphone as Grim said? Did you check with this app for any nearby routers which might cause interference on some channels? Did you choose another free Wifi channel or the 5 GHz band?

Look for Cell phone towers! Near by. I have a park I fly in and cell tower at end if I go anywhere on that heading near or beyond The tower my transmitter goes crazy

I also had the "Strong Interference" warning come up recently. I had just launched the Anafi near a stream, in a narrow rural valley where there it is very unlikely that there is any Wi-Fi interference. The drone drifted away from me, over the stream, just a little out of reach. I hit RTH. It went down and further away. I stopped RTH and kept the control left to bring it back toward me. After 20 seconds or so it came over and I was able to land it. The whole flight took about 90 seconds, but it seemed like forever at the time. I wonder if this "Strong Interference" is a software update issue as I have never seen it before, since I started flying the Anafi a month ago.

Reactions: Jed Anafi
I also had the "Strong Interference" warning come up recently. I had just launched the Anafi near a stream, in a narrow rural valley where there it is very unlikely that there is any Wi-Fi interference. The drone drifted away from me, over the stream, just a little out of reach. I hit RTH. It went down and further away. I stopped RTH and kept the control left to bring it back toward me. After 20 seconds or so it came over and I was able to land it. The whole flight took about 90 seconds, but it seemed like forever at the time. I wonder if this "Strong Interference" is a software update issue as I have never seen it before, since I started flying the Anafi a month ago.
"unlikely that there is any Wi-Fi interference" means, that you don't know it really. Better test it with a Wifi analyzer app and perhaps choose another channel.
[Own smartphone: Flight mode active?]

I really never had a problem with the signal and after the last couple of updates I find it actually getting better distance and no drop outs in video. The small town I live in has about 400 houses and pretty much everyone has Wi-Fi. There is only one cell tower in town and I fly by it a lot with no issues. My point being is I really don't think this problem is related to any software update. Like I said mine just seems to get better with every update Parrot puts out.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
"unlikely that there is any Wi-Fi interference" means, that you don't know it really. Better test it with a Wifi analyzer app and perhaps choose another channel.
[Own smartphone: Flight mode active?]

I will try it. Do you have a suggested App? I did not have Flight Mode active at the time. Thanks

Putting your phone in flight mode is critical, every time I forgot I got interference issues. If you or people next to you have other devices incl Apple Watch, turn them off too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut