Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Very poor Wifi range...need help troubleshooting

ppdv1

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Bebop 2 that came with a Skycontroller 1 Black Edition and cant get beyond 130 feet in distance or elevation before i loose WiFi signal and RTH is activated. I'm going on 3 weeks now reading everything i can find, watching every YouTube video and tutorial out there and cant figure out whats going on. I've reset the drone back to factory and started over, Bebop 2 firmware v4.7.1, Skycontroller v1.7.4, Free Flight Pro v5.2.2. I've tried all WiFi settings on both 2.4 and 5 GHz in manual and WiFi all. In manual mode i'm using WiFi bands with minimal to zero urban signal interference. I'm making sure that the drone is connected to the Skycontroller and that my device is connected to the Skycontroller WiFi before starting Free Flight Pro. I've tried using an iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Tab E, all up to date on current iOS and Android versions. I've piloted the drone with and without the Skycontroller and get the same WiFi range before loosing WiFi signal. Geo fencing is turned off. Flown in Video and Sport Mode. I've come to the conclusion that i have an antenna issue but cant figure out if the issue is with the drone or the Skycontroller. I've checked that the Skycontroller antenna cables were properly connected, on the drone I've removed and replaced both of the antennas. The only thing i have not done is open the drone or the Skycontroller to check the antenna cable connections at the mother boards or replace all of the antenna cables. I don't have access to another Bebop or Skycontroller to borrow to help me isolate which is causing my issues. I have minimal electronic technical experience and don't have the equipment or knowledge to test cables and boards or WiFi signal transmission and reception strength. Before i attempt to open them up and start spending more money replacing cables, antennas, boards, etc. can anyone think of anything i'm overlooking or lend some technical assistance. Really, any form of help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to read of your plight. I would presume, as you have, that there is an antenna issue with the drone itself as the problem persists when not using the sky controller. The only thing you haven't mentioned is if you have tried flying in a remote location however, you should still get better than 130' or 40m regardless of where you fly. I hope you can get this problem resolved as the Bebop 2, from what I have seen (don't own one but have watched dozens of videos reviewing the unit) is a really nice drone and much under rated in the wider community.

How much did you pay for the drone? There are some great deals for the bebop 2 (new) around the web.

Reactions: ppdv1
Thank you for your reply. I agree, I should be getting greater distance with device alone but what has me confused is that the Skycontroller 1 has its own amplified WiFi antennas and when used it connects and communicates directly to the drone and then my device is connected to the skycontroller thru the FreeFlight Pro app for FPV on screen display. So it seems to me that if my antenna issue is in the drone and it is broadcasting a weak signal that I still should get some gain in range when paired directly to the skycontroller high gain antennas vs just the phone. Hope what I’m saying makes sense. As for flying in a remote location, I haven’t went to a fully remote location with zero detectable inference but I am in semi remote outside of residential neighborhoods with a small amount of interfering signals, however I also have a Hubsan H501s that I fly in that same location and get 900 to 1000ft (+300m) before I start getting some lag in FPV (5ghz) and still maintaining strong controll signal (2.4ghz) and could go much further I’m sure but haven’t pushed my luck. I’d like to believe that the Parrot technology would be a little more advanced than Hubsan and perform as well or better in the same airspace interference. I purchased this Bebop 2, Skycontrollet Black Edition, 3 standard batteries, 1 high capacity battery, 4 chargers, 3 sets props, tablet sun shade, Bebop tool kit, 3 extra factory drone antennas, srcew kit and silicone body supports for $200 locally. I’m assuming that the previous owner had this issue due to the extra antennas and couldn’t figure it out either but he won’t admit it! I’ve learned my lesson and buying used without test flight first won’t happen again. I’ve been wanting one of these since they came out and can’t give up on it cause I can’t even sell it to someone else knowning something is wrong with it cause I’m not wired that way!

I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but the Skycontroller 2P (the controller with the black flight control knobs) has issues and to top it off you CAN NOT get a battery replacement anywhere for it should you have charging or battery issues.
Parrot.com doesn't even stock the batteries. My suggestion is, contract Parrot Hot Line support and demand a Skycontroller 2 with the square battery that can be replaced if needed. I had two of these controllers and both of them were bad and had problems
Don't wait until your warranty time runs out to do this.
Just a suggestion.
Good luck.

Are you using Wifi to fly, which is NOT needed.
Same issue for me.!

Power on the drone and controller 2, wait for solid red(drone) and solid green lights(controller 2), leaving wifi off. The phone is not needed except for viewing the drones image. The controller manages the drone.

OP has Skycontroller 1 ,not Skycontroller 2.....he has low range when using skycontroller 1 or when using iOS or android device....130 feet is very low range,problem has nothing to do with skycontroller or devices.....OP should check antennas in bebop front feet,make sure antenna cables are connected properly and not disconnected,if cables are properly connected OP should follow cables back to main board and make sure cables are not damaged or disconnected from main board....

I recently purchased a used Bebop 2 that came with a Skycontroller 1 Black Edition and cant get beyond 130 feet in distance or elevation before i loose WiFi signal and RTH is activated. I'm going on 3 weeks now reading everything i can find, watching every YouTube video and tutorial out there and cant figure out whats going on. I've reset the drone back to factory and started over, Bebop 2 firmware v4.7.1, Skycontroller v1.7.4, Free Flight Pro v5.2.2. I've tried all WiFi settings on both 2.4 and 5 GHz in manual and WiFi all. In manual mode i'm using WiFi bands with minimal to zero urban signal interference. I'm making sure that the drone is connected to the Skycontroller and that my device is connected to the Skycontroller WiFi before starting Free Flight Pro. I've tried using an iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Tab E, all up to date on current iOS and Android versions. I've piloted the drone with and without the Skycontroller and get the same WiFi range before loosing WiFi signal. Geo fencing is turned off. Flown in Video and Sport Mode. I've come to the conclusion that i have an antenna issue but cant figure out if the issue is with the drone or the Skycontroller. I've checked that the Skycontroller antenna cables were properly connected, on the drone I've removed and replaced both of the antennas. The only thing i have not done is open the drone or the Skycontroller to check the antenna cable connections at the mother boards or replace all of the antenna cables. I don't have access to another Bebop or Skycontroller to borrow to help me isolate which is causing my issues. I have minimal electronic technical experience and don't have the equipment or knowledge to test cables and boards or WiFi signal transmission and reception strength. Before i attempt to open them up and start spending more money replacing cables, antennas, boards, etc. can anyone think of anything i'm overlooking or lend some technical assistance. Really, any form of help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Put your phone in Airplane Mode, then turn on Wifi. I had the same problem before doing that.

I have the same issue on a crashed Bebop2 where I replaced the motherboard with one from ebay. I have a 2nd Bebop2 that works perfectly so I have a side by side comparison. The weak WIFI drone also gets only about 100 ft. It is definitely the WIFI transmitting chip on the drone itself. I even swapped the antennas from the good drone and it had no effect. If yours is under warranty, get it replaced ASAP. BTW, the drone fell out of the sky twice due only to using a non-parrot after-market battery. STAY CLEAR of cheaper non-Parrot batteries. They do no have the necessary C rating no matter what they printed on the battery. Anyway, love my Bebop2 drone that has normal WIFI strength. The other one is used only for Flight Plan flights which are just as awesome. I just plan the flight and the video I want, launch it and it does it's thing.

If your drone is out of warranty you may try replacing the motherboard. Mine was about $80 including shipping from ebay. Yeah, I got one with a bad WIFI that I didn't find out for about 2 months so I couldn't return it. But if you get a good one, it's better than buying a new drone..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut