Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Weird ND Filter thing

They are causing vignetting as they are either too small or too far away from the camera lens. What make are they and are they sold as being suitable for the Anafi. If they are, and they are fitted correctly, then I would return them for a refund

I have better fitting Freewell filters that do a slight vignette. Check to see if the foam rubber ring that grips the camera has become loose or sticks out. I had to take an exacto knife and trim mine to remove excess material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Freewell filters and although my vignetting is nowhere near as bad as yours I still get it when I take photos in DNG RECT and in both DNG+JPEG Wide. This is corrected if you run them through camera profile for the Anafi.

Attachments

• P1050569.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
Mavic Pro ones physically fit Anafi but when shooting still photos which use most of the image sensor cause that effect.

Perhaps they are selling those?

Edit: My error, Mavic Pro rather than air which has screw on filters.

Last edited:
I use proper Anafi filters made by SunnyLife and they fit very well with no vignette effects. However all filters will produce error messages if you fit them before booting up. Always let the drone boot up and go through the bizarre dance that involves attempting to look at its own backside. Once it has done that dance it will meekly let you shove a filter on and will never again try to push the camera into such an unnatural position that the filter touches the arms or the back of gimbal unit.
You can fit the Anafi with filters designed for the Mavic pro, the fit is the same, but these will produce undesirable vignette effects, especially in wide stills but even in standard 1080p video. I would say the only value in this is if you already own some Mavic Pro filters you can get some idea of what they might do for you if you replaced them with proper filters which fitted and didn't spoil the edges of your image.

FreeWell filters are the only ones that Parrot said to use as they helped Freewell develop the filter in house. I have two Anafi's and both boot up just fine with the filters on. Adding filters to the camera after the fact is only putting stress the gimble motors.

Reactions: Frank Candor
Oh pardon me for sharing my experience instead of yours.
I don't know why you have taken offence to my observation. As you and the OP use the same brand filters I was hoping that you could suggest whether they can be fitted incorrectly thus causing the vignetting. I do not have any filters therefore I have no experience of fitting them.

On my Anafi it's enough to let the lens plastic security cap on the cam (I'll believe it's much lighter as a ND filter) to received an error after initialize.

FreeWell filters are the only ones that Parrot said to use as they helped Freewell develop the filter in house. I have two Anafi's and both boot up just fine with the filters on. Adding filters to the camera after the fact is only putting stress the gimble motors.

I get the gimbal error everytime I install the Freewell filters prior to starting the Anafi. Here's what the manual states:

I even sent Freewell a message on twitter and they responded by referencing the Anafi manual stating that the filter should be mounted after powering on the drone. I'm also noticing micro-jitters in windy conditions with the filters mounted. I'm going out today to do some flying and will test this out more, but I'm moving towards not using the filters at all. I'll probably do a video on my conclusions.

I have two Anafis, both will startup and calibrate with the filters on no problem. It is common knowledge that some gimbals will have a problem with them on. You would think they all had the same standard of quality but it seems they do not. From reading posts here and on the Anafi facebook pages it seems to be a 50\50 chance that you will get the error.
I hardly use mine now and they just sit in my UAV bag.

The Sunnylife filters DO have a slight vignette effect, but only when taking stills in the wide mode. You can avoid this by taking stills in rectangular format rather than wide or by not using the filters if you intend to capture wide stills. The filters are only really of benefit in video mode when significant amounts of movement are observable. If you are flying high and most of the movement in the shot is caused by the drone's own movement it is unlikely to be significantly improved by the filters. If you are concerned about vignette effects (especially those that only hostile critics notice) you might consider flying with a little touch of zoom, say 1.1x zoom, which should eliminate the edges where any vignetting effect might be seen.
You will learn if your Anafi can boot up with the filters on or not (you are bound to forget you left the filter on when you restart) but it is best to follow Parrot's own advice and add the filters after boot up. The Anafi knows not to fight a gimbal obstruction so no harm will come to it by holding the camera still while you push the filter in place and it won't work any better or worse in either case.

... The Anafi knows not to fight a gimbal obstruction so no harm will come to it by holding the camera still while you push the filter in place and it won't work any better or worse in either case.
I always put my Freewell filters in place before gimbal initialization, because I don't believe, that "Anafi knows not to fight a gimbal obstruction".
Where does this information come from?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryontarded