Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zoom in HDR is blurred

Devoluy

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry in advance for translation problems.

Could someone tell me if it is normal for my zoom in HDR mode to be blurred at 2.8 magnification ? Do you have the same problem ?

The videos are taken as standard, automatic, with no loss of quality, in 1080p, 30i / s, and around 12-18 ° C.

I have the same problem for the photos.

If I remove the HDR mode, the quality is good, so it does not seem to be a problem of the lens but the internal software. I reset of course the drone before and also after the update 6.4 v1.4.0 for Anafi, and I still have the same problem.

Here are 3 examples of videos:

- mountain zoom in HDR mode: you will notice that at a magnification up to 2.8, the image is blurred :

- other zoom in HDR mode with sunny weather: blurred also at a magnification of 2.8:

- dolly zoom in HDR mode: there too, blurred at the end of zoom. I see this problem whatever the level of brightness:

I contacted Parrot who tells me that my product is defective and offers me to exchange with my dealer.

But, when I showed Parrot the Jello effect problem on the Bebop 2, they asked me to exchange it but I noticed later that it was a problem for all Bebop 2, (especially beyond a speed of 10 m / s or headwind).

I do not want to exchange it especially if I find the same problem on another Anafi.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Best Regards,

I have also had the same findings with this, that the image is soft at full zoom, even with limiting it to supposedly "Lossless"!

As a result, I do not use the zoom facility on the Anafi at all, I prefer to crop in if I need to in post-production, rather than have soft footage captured that is impossible to do anything with. This includes using the "Dolly Zoom" feature, as it has always come out soft for me at the full zoom end of things, regardless of what format of capture is used or what finishing type is chosen, such as:
- 4K, HDR,​
- 2.7K, Natural​
- 1080, P-Log​
- Cinema​

....... I do not use the zoom facility on the Anafi at all, I prefer to crop in if I need to in post-production ..........
That is the sensible way to use 4K. Using that method, you will have the full frame to select which part of the screen you want to have zoomed in. If you zoom while flying, you may end up missing some important object - and you cannot zoom out in post!.
However, we must keep in mind that the variety of people using the Anafi and their different approaches to filming and the eventual editing afterwards (if any) mean that it is impossible to give advice that suits all. :)
Regards
Douglas

Thank you for your feedback.

Indeed, I do not want to shoot in 4K because my computer is not powerful enough and I have no TV 4K but 1080p.
I do not want to do post-production as well because I do not have the software, nor the time to do post-production and I would like to stay only with the existing ANAFI features, if possible.

To answer Krusty Geeza, I do not have the same result with or without HDR, and with a zoom to 2.8.
Without HDR, the picture is very good.
Here are 2 short sequences in 1080p and at 2.8 magnification (lossless):
- Without HDR:

- With HDR:

Do you think we have the same blurred image problem (in HDR and 2.8 zoom) with all ANAFI drones?
Do you advise me to exchange my drone at the dealer?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
I don't think there is anything wrong with your Anafi based on the samples you have provided.
Using the Anafi's HDR during video DOES induce some blur/graininess (especially when zoomed)...I do not use HDR in video at all ( at any resolution) because of that.
Still pictures seem to better in HDR but I personally think the HDR processing in the Anafi is too harsh in either video or still images.
It all depends on what you are doing with the videos. Facebook and YouTube will ruin the best of videos anyway with their processing/compression so if you need HDR to reclaim parts of a shot you might blur it anyway just by posting.

Thank you for your opinion.
I confirm that it is not Youtube that gives this blur aspect but the raw video is the same as the one I posted on Youtube. I've exactly the same problems with the photos.
Parrot tells me that my drone is apparently defective and offers an exchange. Do you doubt, as I do, that exchange is useless?

Thank you for your opinion.
I confirm that it is not Youtube that gives this blur aspect but the raw video is the same as the one I posted on Youtube. I've exactly the same problems with the photos.
Parrot tells me that my drone is apparently defective and offers an exchange. Do you doubt, as I do, that exchange is useless?

Honestly, I would take advantage of the exchange. Then you would know for sure if it is or isn't a defect or just normal. I personally would always have the thought "would an exchange/different unit be better?" in the back of my mind...
The only concern is the time that'll take, at best, probably 10-14 days between shipping it back, Parrot checking then packaging/shipping another, and then the return shipping time.
Can you bring it back to your vendor for an exchange? I got mine at Best Buy and the gimbal was all wonky. I brought it back the next day and exchanged it for another and that has been fine.

Hello,

Could someone tell me if it is normal for my zoom in HDR mode to be blurred at 2.8 magnification ? Do you have the same problem ?

The videos are taken as standard, automatic, with no loss of quality, in 1080p, 30i / s, and around 12-18 ° C.

If I remove the HDR mode, the quality is good, so it does not seem to be a problem of the lens but the internal software. I reset of course the drone before and also after the update 6.4 v1.4.0 for Anafi, and I still have the same problem.

- mountain zoom in HDR mode: you will notice that at a magnification up to 2.8, the image is blurred :

- other zoom in HDR mode with sunny weather: blurred also at a magnification of 2.8:

- dolly zoom in HDR mode: there too, blurred at the end of zoom. I see this problem whatever the level of brightness:

I contacted Parrot who tells me that my product is defective and offers me to exchange with my dealer.

But, when I showed Parrot the Jello effect problem on the Bebop 2, they asked me to exchange it but I noticed later that it was a problem for all Bebop 2, (especially beyond a speed of 10 m / s or headwind).

I do not want to exchange it especially if I find the same problem on another Anafi.

Best Regards,

My Anafi is grounded right now so I have difficulty making a real test shot in HDR. But from the last update or was it the previous one? If the lossless zoom is set to OFF, the video will not be blurred, for some strange reason it only happens when lossless zoom is set ON. Try and experiment a little with that settings. :)

Regards, Leif.

• Wow
Hello,

Best Regards,

OK, I just ran a quick little test in the back yard with the Anafi just sitting up on the barbeque grille (not flying/hovering just turned on)just so you can judge the difference on my Anafi with the same settings that you mentioned :

I ran 4 different videos all at 1080P 30fps everything auto:

First: No Zoom and no HDR

Second: No Zoom WITH HDR

Third: 2.8 Zoom ( max lossless at 1080) No HDR
1080 2.8X ZOOM NO HDR

Fourth: 2.8 Zoom WITH HDR
1080 2.8 ZOOM W/HDR

Also a still image ( JPEG Rect) with and without HDR

Attachments

• hdr.JPG
    hdr.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • no hdr.JPG
    no hdr.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 11
Thank you very much for your help and your tests. I really appreciate sincerely.
So I notice that for you too, the zoom HDR at 2.8 induces a blurry video, perhaps less pronounced than mine. Your video without HDR is much better.
As Landbo proposes, I will also try tomorrow by removing the option "lossless zoom". This sounds strange indeed, but why not try.

Reactions: Landbo
Thank you very much for your help and your tests. I really appreciate sincerely.
So I notice that for you too, the zoom HDR at 2.8 induces a blurry video, perhaps less pronounced than mine. Your video without HDR is much better.
As Landbo proposes, I will also try tomorrow by removing the option "lossless zoom". This sounds strange indeed, but why not try.

Just to experiment...2 more 10-second clips and 2 still images
I removed "Lossless Zoom Only" so it now goes out to 3.0X zoom in 1080P... Same settings and location as above but the sun might be a bit different now:

1080P 3.0X ZOOM NO HDR

1080P 3.0X ZOOM W/HDR

Attachments

• 3.0X Zoom NO HDR.JPG
    3.0X Zoom NO HDR.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 3.0X Zoom WHDR.JPG
    3.0X Zoom WHDR.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Landbo
Thank you again for these tests. The test with "Lossless zoom only" does not change anything: the zoom with HDR is still unclear.
However, strangely, the photos with and without HDR look identical and are of good quality. Are you sure you took a picture with HDR?

My Anafi is grounded right now so I have difficulty making a real test shot in HDR. But from the last update or was it the previous one? If the lossless zoom is set to OFF, the video will not be blurred, for some strange reason it only happens when lossless zoom is set ON. Try and experiment a little with that settings. :)

Regards, Leif.
Now that was something I had n't tried out yet! I have always had Lossless Zoom turned on, so it wouldn't digitally crop in to the footage.

I will try this out this afternoon, when I get back.

To answer Krusty Geeza, I do not have the same result with or without HDR, and with a zoom to 2.8.
Without HDR, the picture is very good.
Here are 2 short sequences in 1080p and at 2.8 magnification (lossless):
- Without HDR:

- With HDR:

Do you think we have the same blurred image problem (in HDR and 2.8 zoom) with all ANAFI drones?
Do you advise me to exchange my drone at the dealer?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards
I am going to have to do another series of tests on this before I respond with my evidence either way, sorry. I should be able to do that this afternoon though.

I don't know that it is a problem across all Anafi's. I tested a couple of sessions of recording a week & a bit ago using HDR & automatic settings for exposure, getting very sharp definition with it, I did not zoom at all though. That was surprising to me, because prior to that it was always slightly soft if I used HDR.

I'm actually wondering if HDR works well when you actually have a wide dynamic range. The day I did the little HDR experiment was very glary & overcast, with a wide dynamic range. The set of images of the backyard pool & dog do show the HDR at work in a fairly good way, considering it is created inside the device. The only way you are going to get beeter results is to take bracketed DNG's & merge them using luminosity masking.

I do wonder if there is a trigger of some sort, that brightness needs to be over a certain level for the HDR to kick in properly? I'm just surmising here... ;)

I am going to have to do another series of tests on this before I respond with my evidence either way, sorry. I should be able to do that this afternoon though.

I don't know that it is a problem across all Anafi's. I tested a couple of sessions of recording a week & a bit ago using HDR & automatic settings for exposure, getting very sharp definition with it, I did not zoom at all though. That was surprising to me, because prior to that it was always slightly soft if I used HDR.

I'm actually wondering if HDR works well when you actually have a wide dynamic range. The day I did the little HDR experiment was very glary & overcast, with a wide dynamic range. The set of images of the backyard pool & dog do show the HDR at work in a fairly good way, considering it is created inside the device. The only way you are going to get beeter results is to take bracketed DNG's & merge them using luminosity masking.

I do wonder if there is a trigger of some sort, that brightness needs to be over a certain level for the HDR to kick in properly? I'm just surmising here... ;)

You bring up another interesting point about the HDR done in the Anafi. Maybe it does seem to affect the images that really will need it.
But that is what we do in a post application of merging images for a HDR effect...Blending the most contrasted images and that makes the most difference when comparing the final to the originals.

I was just trying to demonstrate to the original poster that the HDR DOES affect the image quality (clarity) when using video. The zoom just amplifies it.
When I was researching the Anafi to purchase, a few of the reviews that I saw mentioned the quality of the video not being good when using HDR and their videos reflected that. I can now agree with that finding. But until the original post here I didn't even try the zoom with HDR while video recording because of the quality even NOT zoomed.

That being said, I think that the still images do benefit from the Anafi's HDR (depending on the conditions), at least compared to how it degrades the videos!

I will look forward to any experiments you may do...If you get different results, maybe mine has a problem as well as the original posters?

You bring up another interesting point about the HDR done in the Anafi. Maybe it does seem to affect the images that really will need it.
But that is what we do in a post application of merging images for a HDR effect...Blending the most contrasted images and that makes the most difference when comparing the final to the originals.

I was just trying to demonstrate to the original poster that the HDR DOES affect the image quality (clarity) when using video. The zoom just amplifies it.
When I was researching the Anafi to purchase, a few of the reviews that I saw mentioned the quality of the video not being good when using HDR and their videos reflected that. I can now agree with that finding. But until the original post here I didn't even try the zoom with HDR while video recording because of the quality even NOT zoomed.

That being said, I think that the still images do benefit from the Anafi's HDR (depending on the conditions), at least compared to how it degrades the videos!

I will look forward to any experiments you may do...If you get different results, maybe mine has a problem as well as the original posters?
I can almost guarantee that the reviews you watched were from August of 2018, straight after the Anafi's launch. There was a lot of hate going on for it in those first reviews produced by some very obvious DJI fanboys! None of whom have updated their reviews or added more to them showing the improvements over time that Parrot have achieved with it.

I will still leave comment on video & photo quality until after I have imported & cut together my testing footage, which I'll be doing very soon.

Reactions: Zigzag84
I got the footage at 1080x1920 uploaded & it is blatantly obvious as to the differences at that resolution in regards to video quality at the very furthest end of the zoom feature!

Eventually, I hope to have footage for the Anafi taken with & without zoom & compared together in all resolutions, using HDR & without HDR, to see what it is like now after the most recent update.

Thank you very much for all these tests. This confirms that the HDR with the zoom is to be avoided. I did the tests after the update and it did not change anything.

Thank you very much for all these tests. This confirms that the HDR with the zoom is to be avoided. I did the tests after the update and it did not change anything.
Thank You for bringing the whole thing up...My biggest take away is the results of HDR on the video. The graininess and smearing are evident even if not zoomed in HDR. But there isn't as much if any, of that in the still images.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut