Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A quick question about the anafi follow me mode(s)

LT Black

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to use the Anafi to film in follow me mode along the outer path shown (either clockwise or anti-clockwise), inside the red circle, is an electricity pylon.

I would also need to avoid the area marked by yellow diagonal lines.

Watching videos I certainly would not want to use dynamic mode, am I also right in thinking I should not use tracking mode either as when I turn along the path the Anafi could stray into the area marked by yellow diagonal lines and instead the safest(ish) option is using locked mode ?

I will be using my phone attached to my bike

Thanks for the advice and feedback

Screenshot-2021-04-07-Google-Earth-question.jpg

Correct, Dynamic poses the highest likelihood of hitting the tower or straying into the hatched zone. If you position the drone to the inside of your path in track mode it will gradually come to a position behind you. It may vary side to side a bit and could hit those obstacles. Think of Lock as a locked heading, so if you started in the lower right corner of the photo and had the drone positioned 30 feet to your left it would stay 30 feet to your left as you rode up the path towards the upper right corner and hold the heading it started on. When you turn that corner it will now be 30 feet left and 30 feet in front of you. When you reach the 90 degree corner at the left it will now be 30 feet in front of you but 30 feet on your right. OK, as long as there are no obstructions outside the area of the photograph. Along the bottom edge it will be parallel to you and 30 feet to your right. It will always point towards the original heading and fly to keep you in the frame. This is safe enough in this situation but may not produce the video you want because the constant heading is a bit boring.

This is only a general idea of how Follow Me works and in my experience it varies quite a bit. Having crashed a few times in Follow Me I always test a planned flight by walking the path so I can abort quickly. I highly recommend a handlebar mount so you can see what's happening in real time and abort. MY crashes were when the phone was in my pocket. One other possible solution to having a dangerous obstacle near part of your path is to stop the follow me and leave it hovering short of the obstacle, walk your bike past it, manually fly the drone up to you and re-start the Follow Me, then merge the two clips in post.

If you haven't seen this one it provides a good explanation:

Reactions: LT Black
Correct, Dynamic poses the highest likelihood of hitting the tower or straying into the hatched zone. If you position the drone to the inside of your path in track mode it will gradually come to a position behind you. It may vary side to side a bit and could hit those obstacles. Think of Lock as a locked heading, so if you started in the lower right corner of the photo and had the drone positioned 30 feet to your left it would stay 30 feet to your left as you rode up the path towards the upper right corner and hold the heading it started on. When you turn that corner it will now be 30 feet left and 30 feet in front of you. When you reach the 90 degree corner at the left it will now be 30 feet in front of you but 30 feet on your right. OK, as long as there are no obstructions outside the area of the photograph. Along the bottom edge it will be parallel to you and 30 feet to your right. It will always point towards the original heading and fly to keep you in the frame. This is safe enough in this situation but may not produce the video you want because the constant heading is a bit boring.

This is only a general idea of how Follow Me works and in my experience it varies quite a bit. Having crashed a few times in Follow Me I always test a planned flight by walking the path so I can abort quickly. I highly recommend a handlebar mount so you can see what's happening in real time and abort. MY crashes were when the phone was in my pocket. One other possible solution to having a dangerous obstacle near part of your path is to stop the follow me and leave it hovering short of the obstacle, walk your bike past it, manually fly the drone up to you and re-start the Follow Me, then merge the two clips in post.

If you haven't seen this one it provides a good explanation:
Thanks for the heads up and suggestion, I really appreciate it. Yes I am specifically looking at the quad lock mount (or similar) for this. That video does explain it well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut