Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Panorama modes

doylecolmdoyle

Reaction score
Creating a thread to document my experiences with the Anafi Pano modes, mainly I am disappointed the automated pano modes dont output DNG / RAW files, also my iphone 6 wont let me choose the "excellent quality" panoramas when processing them inside with freeflight6 software, I have contacted Parrot support to try see if DNG / RAW panos can be incorporated in future firmware updates and to request a list of what phones will actually process "excellent quality" panoramas via the FF6 app, just received a reply from support today, which was pretty generic "Please let me investigate and get back to you"

I have also experienced an issue where the pano function will just not work (the drone starts to take photos then just stops) in low light conditions.

Anyways the pano options are a good start, hopefully Parrot keep improving them, post your experiences here.

Next opportunity I have, I plan to create my own manual Pano using the single frame DNG+JPG format, which I will stitch manually.

Free free to post your experiences here, along with any photos

Here is Perth city on a sunny day.

IMG_8345.jpg by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Don’t forget that you can always stitch the created images yourself as they are kept even when you create an automatic pano.

e998501b12ba27205e52f78b076b4f52.jpg

[emoji846]

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
The bracketing is DNG / RAW!
e998501b12ba27205e52f78b076b4f52.jpg

[emoji846]
I know guys, I meant RAW bracketed panorama's, sorry. I have tried doing it manually, but it hasn't worked so far... I have stuff too close to the bird. One day, I'll find the perfect scene where I can do it manually with nothing up close, so any movement isn't a deal-breaker.

Unfortunately we dont see that magical DNG+ JPG option within Panorama mode :(

View attachment 913
Fingers crossed it might come in an update one day for certain panorama's. I couldn't see the 360 ever getting it, because of the write buffer issues to cards. Even with my DSLR, once it gets about 17 RAW frames being transferred it all slows dow to a trickle, because it's SD card based & not CF card based that could possibly take it all. One option would be to have 2 micro SD card slots & write between them for 360 pano's.

Yes, I agree that RAW files for the 360 pano would not be ideal, but hopefully they can implement for the vert and hoz panos
There is always the other option, to record those images in HEIF format. It's much better than Jpeg & exponentially smaller, but not quite as good as RAW for highlight & shadow recovery!

So I kept my promise to make a test today. I can confirm that the „Follow me“ mode“ actually worked for me as intended! (@Krusty i will send you my screen record via pm later). There was. I special double tap or anything needed for me.
This is what happened and the steps I did...

I think you post this in the wrong thread!

Last edited:
In response to my original post, I received a email back from Parrot support regarding what iphones can actually process "excellent quality" panoramas with the FF6 application, below is the reply (basically any iphone from 6s and above), I wont be updating my phone any time soon, so looks like I am stuck with the lower quality panos out of FF6, tho I think I will try photograph and stitch my own DNG panos when needed.

You have an iPhone 6, we tested with a 6S and the feature is available.

The 6S has better hardware in comparison. Excellent quality is available from the Apple 6S and above.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
In response to my original post, I received a email back from Parrot support regarding what iphones can actually process "excellent quality" panoramas with the FF6 application, below is the reply (basically any iphone from 6s and above), I wont be updating my phone any time soon, so looks like I am stuck with the lower quality panos out of FF6, tho I think I will try photograph and stitch my own DNG panos when needed.
That's interesting! I am using an iPhone 8 Plus & I get a lot of stitching errors on excellent & normal quality in FF6. I have tried merging the images together in Photoshop & it's hit & miss as to whether it works, but in AutoPana Giga it works consistently as you can force points of reference between the frames. I believe that Hugin allows this also, but I never spent any time learning how to use it, I found the UI too confusing initially, so spent the $ on AutoPana Giga instead.

I actually think that my problem with pano's in FF6 has been that I'm too low down & that there has been wind moving the Anafi around as it goes through the capture process. I'll have to try it again in still conditions & from higher up so as to be fair to its potential.

I was out last night and again my anafi wouldn't shoot a pano, the drone / app would just not start the process, no process bar or anything, also I couldn't control the pro exposure setting (when in dng mode) I think it was a bug in the software, I landed the drone and re-started everything and then I could control the pro-exposure settings, but didnt retest pano as I was low on battery.

I did shoot my first manual pano in DNG, was only a 3wide x 2high pano but lightroom stitched it fine, in the end I didn't like the photo and only use a a crop out of the pano, but this did allow me to end up with a portrait photo.

P1260242-Pano-Edit-Extra-Small.jpg

Creating a thread to document my experiences with the Anafi Pano modes, mainly I am disappointed the automated pano modes dont output DNG / RAW files, also my iphone 6 wont let me choose the "excellent quality" panoramas when processing them inside with freeflight6 software, I have contacted Parrot support to try see if DNG / RAW panos can be incorporated in future firmware updates and to request a list of what phones will actually process "excellent quality" panoramas via the FF6 app, just received a reply from support today, which was pretty generic "Please let me investigate and get back to you"

I have also experienced an issue where the pano function will just not work (the drone starts to take photos then just stops) in low light conditions.

Anyways the pano options are a good start, hopefully Parrot keep improving them, post your experiences here.

Next opportunity I have, I plan to create my own manual Pano using the single frame DNG+JPG format, which I will stitch manually.

Free free to post your experiences here, along with any photos

Here is Perth city on a sunny day.

IMG_8345.jpg by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
Nice photo! I have yet to try the HDR setting. Is your image incorporating HDR? It seems like it is?

I generally love the quality of the images produced by the Parrot. The panoramic for me was a bit dark but sewn nicely. Only one small discontinuity that I could find. Wonderful you can export the panorama in several different formats! This bird is an excellent and stable camera platform. The video color at 4K is saturated, sharp and still as a tripod when hovering. Amazing drone! I've attached a low light image to share an unlikely lighting situation for this drone, but obviously it met the challenge with "flying colors!"

Attachments

• P0170070.JPG
    P0170070.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut