Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi range in Freeflight FCC mod

wmichniewski

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have downloaded Freeflight FCC mod 6.5.1 and change the wifi channel to the 165 and according to the reviews the drone should reach about 2km but for some reasons it doesn't work in my case, very poor signal at 300m and height 30m. Anyone any idea why please?

There could be many factors including which region you are in.

In the UK ch165 isn’t allocated for WiFi but for indoor/outdoor Short Range Devices, such as video links for home security, remote security sensors, etc, even analog FPV transmitters. These devices could be transmitting at 100% duty cycle / constant carrier, over large bandwidths. The channel guide in the Anafi App will not show these as it only shows signals from genuine WiFi emitters. So if you are flying in an urban environment with a lot of this activity the chances of interference will be high and your range much reduced.

Terrestrially speaking 5.8GHz has a reduced range capability when compared to that of 2.4GHz so if you’re flying in an area with low activity in this allocation it might be worth manually changing the channel to one between 1 and 11 on 2.4GHz. The received video might be lower quality as the bandwidth will be smaller but the range will increase. Also the further you fly from the point of take off the pointing accuracy of your controller becomes much more important. The Anafi controller does have a relatively wide beam width but still very directional.

My personal experience is attaining a range of just over 2km on 5.8GHz but this was on flat farmland well away from any other radio signals. This max distance wasn’t due to loss of signal but due to some grumpy members of my model flying club bumping their gums because I was doing something that appeared to be witchcraft to them.

Regards

Nidge.

Thank you for excellent reply. Top man. I think it is time for DJI
Unless you are thinking of a Mavic Pro or Phantom4, which use the Ocusync system, I don’t think you’ll gain much more as the Mavic Air and the Spark are WiFi too. Also DJI only have provision for four or five channels on 5.8GHz, none of which are within the EU allocation for WiFi. This was a really big issue for Android users in the EU before DJI unlocked the ability to use an OTG cable to tether the remote to the phone. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a DJI hater, I have a Spark, four Phantoms, and six builds using the Naza and Wookong flight controllers. But since getting my Anafi just before Christmas last year they’ve pretty much been gathering dust.

Regards

Nidge.

I run FCC mode in the UK, but have always just left it in auto.... Is it worth attempting channel 165?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks @davinchi2000 so would you regard the "auto" setting as fairly obsolete?, I've always assumed it adapts, so checking the wifi at launch point is fine, but then flying far away, surely this would change things?

Rich

I've always had distance problems. since I use the manual connection, I have very long distances.
I have not had problems with image cuts or small distances.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stefante