Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi worth keeping, if stuck in CE mode

Don't bother with someone whose views are like a wall.
The stupidity is invincible
Fully agree, basic troubleshooting is too much for people these days. They will complain before they even open a manual :’-)

I've just been out about 2hrs ago for a quick flight, I got to 190m and got an interference message, It was in a local park which happened to be virtually deserted probably due to the coronavirus.
It was about 100m from nearest houses/buildings and also relatively close to a museum which could well have wifi.
I'm not sure what people make of that range based on those circumstances?

It's possible that you have some devices like a smartwatch, Bluetooth headset, phone with all transmissions for example BT, wifi, cellular on?
If I turn all those devices off or in airplane mode I get way better reception.

If you already have everything off or in airplane mode, then I am afraid the anafi is probably broken. If you want I can post some screenshots of 1+ KM flights near urban areas all in CE mode

I also fly my Anifi in what I thought was a deserted area, and have had problems with interference.

I was completely stumped until I saw some microwave-like (likely not microwave, maybe free wifi, maybe 5G towers, other?) transmission towers, with parabolic antennas pointing across the area in which I was flying.

In my case, it seemed that when my Anafi flew through or along the path between the towers I received the interference message. I was at least 200 m away from these towers at all times, often further. The towers seemed to have more effect above 50 m.

I don't remember seeing these towers last year, but it could be that I just didn't notice them.

While googling what the microwave-like towers could be I came across the following.
and

No prisons near Mud Lake, but there is a water treatment facility..

...parabolic antennas can mean that they are radio relay towers. Which means, it is a beam from some other parabolic antenna pointed to that area, you are flying in.
I doubt, that is targeting your drone, you just should be careful flying in the nearer area.

What band have you been on?

And to the interferences from other wifi devices:
I can only speak for myself6, but manual set in 5G, it seems the best (fcc mode,.at least) for the Anafi.

I've been able to use the automatic WIFI channel selection without any major issues to date.

I'm more curious as to if these towers are new, or just something I didn't notice before.

I experience interference in the same areas, that are at least 400 m from any houses, over what is called Mud Lake in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- The only structures anywhere near are these towers and the water purification plant.
- The parabolic antennas seem to be aimed at the areas where I experience interference.

Still curious as to what these towers are.
- I like you doubt they are something like a 'SkyFence'.
- I don't think 5G is coming to Ottawa, but it might be.

I'll take some pictures of the towers and do a Google Image search.

With Anafi, 5G is meaning the 5.8 GHz Band.
And there selecting channel 165, for example
Sorry for confusing you

[...]

I'll take some pictures of the towers and do a Google Image search.
Do they have parabolic antennas most opposite each other?
Then it might be a (wifi, perhaps?) relais station, I'd say.
To get a signal directional to a specific location

You can try it another way to find out, if/how much they disturb your bird ;-)

Choose a starting point for a flightpath at the side of the parabolic antennas.
Try to guess the height most correctly
Fly the path and cross the supposed beam in minimum 100 meters, ~300 yards distance to the antenna, most quickly.
And less quickly
Slow

Be carefull

Use 5.8 GHz first, try 2.4 ghz after

Good luck and report back!
Just kidding, the good luck part should be unneeded.
I expect the RTH to work well, in case something really cuts your signal for some time.

I expect the RTH to work well, in case something really cuts your signal for some time.

Unless it interferes with the GPS of the Anafi, in which case it will auto land and most probably crash unless the terrain underneath it is completely flat :p

But in my scenario (that what I expect ;-), there is only the strong interference in the direct way, the dish is pointing to.

Which gets the pilot back in control, as soon the bird gets some meter up or down of these altitude.

So that should just be a educating test, imho.
But (disclaimer): Every pilot is responsible for her, his, its doing ;-)

Last edited:
True, I posted the :p because it was meant lighthearted. But yeah responsibility is always with the pilot

I have flown around a lot of Cell Towers and high voltage power lines and none have given me any problems. Mind you not all cell towers are the same but their is also this video of a guy in Portugal I believe flying around many different antennas and not one problem.

Aside that it could be a relais cell tower (getting the cell connection with the parabolic antenna somewhere), it could just be a wifi connection from a far away headquarter to a outside station, or be a tower for a directed radio line.
Lots of options, cell towers are not really bad, afaik, for connection to my flying birds in close proximity to them.
Wifi hotspots, also sometimes on celltowers, can be more disturbing.
But not to expect in the nowheresland
But a "high power" radio signal relais is really strong at the source. Just in a small beam ;-)

Lets see what spectre will report, later

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar