Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Android / IOS ?

Hi Eric,

Its not all about the NITS rating, there are other elements that Huawei have tweaked to enable the screen to be viewed in bright sunlight..... Some users get drawn into the "NITS" thing, when in fact a phone could have a lower NIT rating than an other, but still able to outshine it.

Huawei also give the facility to unlock the phone on their website, which is always a bonus, and a few of us have manged to root the XT2 as well..... all in all a great piece of kit.

Also..... Over a 100 pages of superb comments on the XT2 from the Mavic Forum everyone loves it

db,

Okay, I know I'm showing my age and my lack of tech savvy, but what does it mean to "root" the device. That doesn't mean anything to me!

Eric

db,

Okay, I know I'm showing my age and my lack of tech savvy, but what does it mean to "root" the device. That doesn't mean anything to me!

Eric

As I am a lazy bugger I will just copy and paste :) Basically means you can do anything you want to the phone and the version of Android installed.

From the tinternet:

Rooting is a process that allows you to attain root access to the Android operating system code (the equivalent term for Apple devices id jailbreaking). It gives you privileges to modify the software code on the device or install other software that the manufacturer wouldn’t normally allow you to. And for good mobile security reasons: they don’t want users to make modifications to the phones that could result in accidents beyond repair; it is easier for them to offer support if they allow users to only use the same unmodified version of the software. But tech savvy users have already developed rooting methods, which vary depending on device. They are available on the web, and more and more Android users are resorting to them because of the powerful perks they provide, such as:

• dot
    full customization for just about every theme/graphic
  • dot
    download of any app, regardless of the app store they’re posted on
  • dot
    extended battery life and added performance
  • dot
    updates to the latest version of Android if your device is outdated and no longer updated by the manufacturer

Hi Eric,

Its not all about the NITS rating, there are other elements that Huawei have tweaked to enable the screen to be viewed in bright sunlight..... Some users get drawn into the "NITS" thing, when in fact a phone could have a lower NIT rating than an other, but still able to outshine it.

Huawei also give the facility to unlock the phone on their website, which is always a bonus, and a few of us have manged to root the XT2 as well..... all in all a great piece of kit.

Also..... Over a 100 pages of superb comments on the XT2 from the Mavic Forum everyone loves it
You are right. It’s not all about the nits. I alluded to that under the list of iphone nits.
Also, this doesn’t take contrast ratio into account, which also impacts visibility in sunlight.

And there is even more to it than that. Some of these phones are only capable of outputting maximum nits in small areas of the screen. Some have a sort of polarization or other glass technology. But at the end of the day, nits is a good starting point.

As far as finding the ratings, I just type the name of the phone and “nits” into google. Usually there is something in the first few results, especially for better known brands.

Now with respect to the XT2, I don’t know anything about it. You’ll want to make sure it can handle newer drones like the Mavic 2 Pro (which I just got by the way). Or check to see if it’s on Parrots list of approved phones. It’s obviously a great price, but money wasted if it can’t handle the FreeFlight app or the HD feed from the Anafi. Meantime a refurbished iPhone 7 from Apple will cost you 10 times as much ($500 - Refurbished iPhone 7 32GB - Silver - Apple )

Reactions: VonZipper
XT2 handles the Anafi and Freeflight app with the greatest of ease :) Also guys on our "hidden" forum, are using XT2 for everything going, and so far its its not fallen down on anything...... I use with my Mavic Pro and again no issues, as many dozens of users will agree.

I also have the iPhone 7 Plus, but still go back to the XT2 as we have access to more "Tweaks" under Android than IOS. In fact the tweak to enable FCC mode full time, will be an Android thing.

So many good phones and tablets out there, defiantly a buyers market

Does the XT2 have a barometer function?

Still shopping this and other phones. Best price I can find is $69 at Walmart but the XT2 seems to be out-of-stock there. It's $110-180 or so at at Amazon. Anyone know where else it might be available elsewhere?

The other phone which is same specs but just branded for another supplier is:

Cricket Huawei Elate

Its is the XT2 with another name

Now with respect to the XT2, I don’t know anything about it. You’ll want to make sure it can handle newer drones like the Mavic 2 Pro (which I just got by the way). Or check to see if it’s on Parrots list of approved phones. It’s obviously a great price, but money wasted if it can’t handle the FreeFlight app or the HD feed from the Anafi. Meantime a refurbished iPhone 7 from Apple will cost you 10 times as much ($500 - Refurbished iPhone 7 32GB - Silver - Apple )[/QUOTE]

Hey db!

I'm still in the market for a phone. I was looking back at this earlier posting of yours where you mention a Parrot approved list of phones. I haven't run across that list yet. Can you tell me where to find it?

Now with respect to the XT2, I don’t know anything about it. You’ll want to make sure it can handle newer drones like the Mavic 2 Pro (which I just got by the way). Or check to see if it’s on Parrots list of approved phones. It’s obviously a great price, but money wasted if it can’t handle the FreeFlight app or the HD feed from the Anafi. Meantime a refurbished iPhone 7 from Apple will cost you 10 times as much ($500 - Refurbished iPhone 7 32GB - Silver - Apple )

Edit: fixed formatting

I could have sworn I saw something in the manual. Or maybe in the Android store online. Anyway, I still think you’ll be better off with a used iPhone 7. Seems that Parrot, like DJI, prioritizes iOS development. That’s just my impression. Of course that doesn’t mean that Apple will approve updates as quickly as we would all like. So you might see features come out on Android first. But I bet iOS will be the more stable platform long term. That’s not a knock against Android. It’s just my speculation on where Parrot the company will focus its development.

dm, I think you're right but I'm going to try to split the difference, so to speak...

I like the OLED screen on the iPhone X series. The iPhone 6 screen is horrible in the sun and I'm worried the 7 and 8 series won't be much better with their LCD screens. My iPhone 6 has been giving my trouble recently. The battery and battery indicator are giving me some issues. I'm going to be doing a factory reset tonight to try to fix it. If I can't correct the battery issue with the 6, I plan to wait a little while to see if the "old" iPhone X price comes down a little.

I would actually prefer to have a dedicated "Drone Phone" but can't afford to have a dedicated iPhone X for droning so I went ahead and picked up a dedicated "Drone Phone" today in the form of the Huawei Ascend XT2. I picked it up new on Ebay for $85.00. That will give me the ability to run iOS or Android with both platforms as needed. If there is an issue with the dedicated android device, I can use my cell phone as a backup. In the end, if there are issues with the Huawei, I'm only out $85.

dm, I think you're right but I'm going to try to split the difference, so to speak...

I like the OLED screen on the iPhone X series. The iPhone 6 screen is horrible in the sun and I'm worried the 7 and 8 series won't be much better with their LCD screens. My iPhone 6 has been giving my trouble recently. The battery and battery indicator are giving me some issues. I'm going to be doing a factory reset tonight to try to fix it. If I can't correct the battery issue with the 6, I plan to wait a little while to see if the "old" iPhone X price comes down a little.

I would actually prefer to have a dedicated "Drone Phone" but can't afford to have a dedicated iPhone X for droning so I went ahead and picked up a dedicated "Drone Phone" today in the form of the Huawei Ascend XT2. I picked it up new on Ebay for $85.00. That will give me the ability to run iOS or Android with both platforms as needed. If there is an issue with the dedicated android device, I can use my cell phone as a backup. In the end, if there are issues with the Huawei, I'm only out $85.
Well if you don’t mind, report back on how it works, because if the XT2 works out, I might pick one up myself. I was waiting for a tablet version of FreeFlight 6, but I’m getting tired of using my iPhone, and like you I don’t want to spend $1,000 for a drone phone.

I use the Elate and have had no problems at all. Only wish it had a larger screen.

Last edited:
I received the Huawei Ascend XT2 Phone the other day and I really like it. The screen is superior in bright light. The readability of the screen is noticeably better in direct sunlight compared to the iPhone 6 screen I had been using.

There is one problem with the this particular XT2: the screen has a magenta vertical line running the length of the screen on the left portion of the screen. I guess there is a column of pixels that is bad? Anyway, I have contacted the e-bay seller, asking for an exchange.

Overall, I rate the screen brightness "Outstanding" in comparison to the iphone screen. It is a little larger screen as well, which is nice. I definitely would recommed the XT2. I hope the column of bad pixels is isolated to this particular phone and the problem is not widespread across the platform. I will let y'all know when I receive the replacement phone...

Hence why on the Mavic forum we rebadged it the "Wundaphone" :cool: Dont know how many they must of sold just to the drone community, some guys purchased a few of them as backups for backup for backups..... You know the "Just in case" factor

Deleted. Repetitive. Sorry about that. I was replying to something I thought was new, but which I’d repli d to weeks ago!?!?

Still curious to see xt2 in person

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave01