Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Android / IOS ?

QuadKid

Reaction score
Receiving the Anafi today, I have d/loaded the Android FF6 to my S8+ and will initially activating/updating using this device. Also have d/loaded the FF6 IOS version to my Mini 4. Once the AC is updated via Android, if I switch between Droid & IOS the IOS FF6 should automatically detect the drone correct. I am assuming it will be like DJI and you can use both version of the App.

I also had downloaded that app before I got my ANAFI but then when getting it set up it seemed like it hung up cancelled set up deleted what I had downloaded and did the install with just the restering part all worked fine then just keep that in mind

only use android so I don't know about IOS

Good luck this is nothing like my mavic pro was moves around a lot but I will get the feel for it just a bit different

Reactions: QuadKid
I also had downloaded that app before I got my ANAFI but then when getting it set up it seemed like it hung up cancelled set up deleted what I had downloaded and did the install with just the restering part all worked fine then just keep that in mind

only use android so I don't know about IOS

Good luck this is nothing like my mavic pro was moves around a lot but I will get the feel for it just a bit different
Just charging the controller & battery, will activate it in the morning and give it a go tomorrow afternoon.

Receiving the Anafi today, I have d/loaded the Android FF6 to my S8+ and will initially activating/updating using this device. Also have d/loaded the FF6 IOS version to my Mini 4. Once the AC is updated via Android, if I switch between Droid & IOS the IOS FF6 should automatically detect the drone correct. I am assuming it will be like DJI and you can use both version of the App.

Just ordered my Anafi this evening. I currently have a i-phone 6 that I was considering for use with FreeFlight6. I am due to replace my i-phone and was wondering if I should keep remain with an ios phone or switch to an android platform. Which operating system would you consider to be the most reliable and trouble-free for use with FreeFlight6 and Anafi?

Thanks, Eric

I use both Android and IOS....... no real difference.... both have same features, and you can login with your account and have your flight information, data, etc on either or both.

At the moment I am using the iPhone 7 plus probably a tad more than the Android as I am waiting for the additional arm so I can use my Nexus 7 (V2) tablet.

Just ordered my Anafi this evening. I currently have a i-phone 6 that I was considering for use with FreeFlight6. I am due to replace my i-phone and was wondering if I should keep remain with an ios phone or switch to an android platform. Which operating system would you consider to be the most reliable and trouble-free for use with FreeFlight6 and Anafi?

Thanks, Eric
I’d base my decision on screen brightness as measured in nits. In my opinion, the less you need to use a cumbersome lens hood, the better.

Also, make sure your device has a barometer. That helps in follow me mode because the Anafi will know when it’s following you up or down hill. (iPhones have baros. I dont know which models of Android have barometers).

Lastly, the FreeFlight6 app is iPhone only. It works on iPads but it looks sloppy and isn’t really any better, even when planning missions in the mission planner.

Reactions: VonZipper
What about the in-app purchases, do you have to buy them twice to use both platforms?

Granted, at current low price not a big deal but when the price goes up again...

What about the in-app purchases, do you have to buy them twice to use both platforms?

Granted, at current low price not a big deal but when the price goes up again...

It's my understanding that you do have to purchase the apps twice: once in ios and once in android.

Reactions: IM35461
I’d base my decision on screen brightness as measured in nits. In my opinion, the less you need to use a cumbersome lens hood, the better.

Also, make sure your device has a barometer. That helps in follow me mode because the Anafi will know when it’s following you up or down hill. (iPhones have baros. I dont know which models of Android have barometers).

Lastly, the FreeFlight6 app is iPhone only. It works on iPads but it looks sloppy and isn’t really any better, even when planning missions in the mission planner.

dm,

Interesting. I haven't heard that and wouldn't have thought to consider a barometer function. I have been leaning on staying with Apple. That may be one more point in Apple's favor. I'm so used to the Apple platform anyway, it may be best for me to stay with them... idk. I'll also see what I can learn about the relative brightness of all the Smartphone candidates I'm considering. That's definitely a good point and one which I'll put a lot of weight in my decision making. Thanks again!

dm,

Interesting. I haven't heard that and wouldn't have thought to consider a barometer function. I have been leaning on staying with Apple. That may be one more point in Apple's favor. I'm so used to the Apple platform anyway, it may be best for me to stay with them... idk. I'll also see what I can learn about the relative brightness of all the Smartphone candidates I'm considering. That's definitely a good point and one which I'll put a lot of weight in my decision making. Thanks again!
iPhone X is 800 nits. That’s probably the brightest phone out there. I think there is an LG mini tablet that can do 1000nits.

And Apple will release new phones really soon right? I keep seeing headlines about that.

I was looking at the iPhone X; not sure I can do with out my home button! I may have to get over it and give it a shot... We'll see. Any idea what the brightness of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are?

I did see they were supposed to release three new phones on the 12th of this month, I believe. I can certainly wait and see what they're offering. Hopefully, the lower the pricing on the current models... but i doubt it!

I was looking at the iPhone X; not sure I can do with out my home button! I may have to get over it and give it a shot... We'll see. Any idea what the brightness of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are?

I did see they were supposed to release three new phones on the 12th of this month, I believe. I can certainly wait and see what they're offering. Hopefully, the lower the pricing on the current models... but i doubt it!
530 nits.

For the record, I’m going back to an iPhone with the home button the next time I upgrade. The Face ID is fine and it works, but I want the home button back.

If the new phones that come out have OLED displays like the current iPhone X, then they will likely have the same or better brightness.

Consider getting a dedicated “drone phone” so you don’t receive calls and/or texts while flying.

On the Mavic Pro forum, many of user purchased the Huawei XT2 as a dedicated device..... Commonly known as the "Wundaphone", due to the fact that its fantastic in bright sunlight.

Knocks spots off my iPad Mini 4, and at only $49 was a total bargain........ Its Android, and to be honest, its a very nice piece of kit. No intention of putting a SIM in it, just purely for drone work.

Oh and just to confirm, you do need to purchase on both Android and IOS ...... but at 99p each, its not a ball breaker :)

530 nits.

For the record, I’m going back to an iPhone with the home button the next time I upgrade. The Face ID is fine and it works, but I want the home button back.

If the new phones that come out have OLED displays like the current iPhone X, then they will likely have the same or better brightness.

Consider getting a dedicated “drone phone” so you don’t receive calls and/or texts while flying.

Okay, thanks. I will definitely wait until after the release of the new phones to decide. I'll have to get by with my iPhone 6 until then. I'll just have to make a temporary sun shade for it; it's really terrible in any kind of sun!

Eric

• iPhone 6: 606 nits
  • iPhone 6s: 554 nits
  • iPhone 7: 706 nits
  • iPhone 7+: 618 nits
  • iPhone 8: 530 nits
  • iPhone 8+: 621 nits
  • iPhone X: 809 nits

Source: google searches results from different sources... so I don’t know about the accuracy. Also, this doesn’t take contrast ratio into account, which also impacts visibility in sunlight.

Takeaway:
They don’t always increase nits with each generation, so it’s worth checking specs.

Source: google searches results from different sources... so I don’t know about the accuracy. Also, this doesn’t take contrast ratio into account, which also impacts visibility in sunlight.

Takeaway:
They don’t always increase nits with each generation, so it’s worth checking specs.

Hey , thanks for the specs on these phones. I'm currently looking at mini tablets reviews: considering getting a dedicated device for use with Anafi/Skycontroller. Any thoughts on that? What would you consider the minimum requirements for these devices?

Hey , thanks for the specs on these phones. I'm currently looking at mini tablets reviews: considering getting a dedicated device for use with Anafi/Skycontroller. Any thoughts on that? What would you consider the minimum requirements for these devices?
I tried it on my iPad Mini 4 and switched back to my iPhone. The app is designed for iPhone, not iPads, so the formatting was weird on the iPad. Maybe they will release an iPad version of the app soon.

On the Mavic Pro forum, many of user purchased the Huawei XT2 as a dedicated device..... Commonly known as the "Wundaphone", due to the fact that its fantastic in bright sunlight.

Knocks spots off my iPad Mini 4, and at only $49 was a total bargain........ Its Android, and to be honest, its a very nice piece of kit. No intention of putting a SIM in it, just purely for drone work.

Oh and just to confirm, you do need to purchase on both Android and IOS ...... but at 99p each, its not a ball breaker :)

Hey d95gas,

That sounds awesome! I'll take a look at it. I wasn't planning on doing a dedicated phone due to the prohibitive cost but at that price, it seems like a no brainer. I certainly going to take a look at the Huawei! Do you happen to know what the nix rating for the Huawei XT2 is?

Eric

Takeaway:

db,

I spent a good part of the day looking at smartphones and I am in smartphone overload right now! I had a real tough time finding the nix (cd/m2) rating. It doesn't seem to reported in manufacturer's specs or in reviews. I really had to dig to find the ratings and a lot of times, I just couldn't find the value at all. The best site I found for listing specifications is GSMArena.com. But, they don't list the nix rating either. Maybe you know a site that rountinely gives the nix values for popular phones?

I really like the OnePlus6 phone which runs on android. It has a reported 818 nits using the autobrightness function and gets great reviews as well. Again, I plan to wait to the new Apple phones come out mid-month to make a final decision but I'd like to be ready to jump once they're released.

Eric

Hey d95gas,

That sounds awesome! I'll take a look at it. I wasn't planning on doing a dedicated phone due to the prohibitive cost but at that price, it seems like a no brainer. I certainly going to take a look at the Huawei! Do you happen to know what the nix rating for the Huawei XT2 is?

Eric

Hi Eric,

Its not all about the NITS rating, there are other elements that Huawei have tweaked to enable the screen to be viewed in bright sunlight..... Some users get drawn into the "NITS" thing, when in fact a phone could have a lower NIT rating than an other, but still able to outshine it.

Huawei also give the facility to unlock the phone on their website, which is always a bonus, and a few of us have manged to root the XT2 as well..... all in all a great piece of kit.

Also..... Over a 100 pages of superb comments on the XT2 from the Mavic Forum everyone loves it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut