Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Battery conservation questions...

Dronographer

Reaction score
I am wondering how much flight time is affected by the camera use? For example filming an entire out and back flight vs no camera use. Also, on RTH, I wonder if pushing the throttle to max sport mode sacrifices range irrespective of time, compared to the RTH speed the drone sets, or even flight range in total miles at film vs sport speed.

If I am cutting it close in battery life getting back to base, I am not going to film. But wonder if slow flight vs medium or max will get me home with more battery life in reserve?

I am wondering how much flight time is affected by the camera use? For example filming an entire out and back flight vs no camera use. Also, on RTH, I wonder if pushing the throttle to max sport mode sacrifices range irrespective of time, compared to the RTH speed the drone sets, or even flight range in total miles at film vs sport speed.

If I am cutting it close in battery life getting back to base, I am not going to film. But wonder if slow flight vs medium or max will get me home with more battery life in reserve?
Easy , the only way to know exactly, because every drone will and does perform just a little different than a 2nd or 3rd one. Like conditions of flight are a factor - i.e. cold vs.warm, dry vs. humid, altitude, speed of motors, actual condition of each battery cell. and more.
What i'm trying to say is Gotta test your drone and track different factors to know, In my opinion slower, lower, and no recording theoretically may give you a couple extra minutes of flight time.

I Think, sounds right to me

Good questions. I don't know the answer but I have to imagine the camera is going to use a small fraction of the power used to actually keep the drone flying. Of course conserving any energy (Apollo 13) in the effort to get back is important. Drag increases with speed but the amount of increase depends on the aerodynamic properties of the object moving through the air so the question of the most efficient means of getting the drone back (faster or slower) might be difficult to determine unless you know a lot about the aerodynamic properties of the drone (which I don't). There is probably some speed at which the drone is going to move through the air most efficiently. Maybe someone with a lot more experience can provide a usable answer.

Good questions. I don't know the answer but I have to imagine the camera is going to use a small fraction of the power used to actually keep the drone flying. Of course conserving any energy (Apollo 13) in the effort to get back is important. Drag increases with speed but the amount of increase depends on the aerodynamic properties of the object moving through the air so the question of the most efficient means of getting the drone back (faster or slower) might be difficult to determine unless you know a lot about the aerodynamic properties of the drone (which I don't). There is probably some speed at which the drone is going to move through the air most efficiently. Maybe someone with a lot more experience can provide a usable answer.
yeah , thinking just too many factors im thinking. Good Luck!!!!

I guess I will trust in the designer’s default speed in Sport mode on the RTH leg which seems about 34fps. And I think filming is nit enough current to worry about unless getting home safely is in doubt, range wise.

Reactions: pmh1nic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem