Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best SD card? What a nightmare...

Kdavis2269

Reaction score
I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out which micro SD cards to get for the Anafi. I'm borrowing a SanDisk Extreme Plus 64 gb from another device. What is the difference between UHS 1 and UHS 2 and does Anafi even support UHS 2? I think the UHS 2 has extra tabs on it but Anafi only has one row of pins. Does this mean we are limited to UHS 1 cards? I'm so fustrated trying to understand the complexity of the SD card markings and marketing. From my understanding SanDisk Ultra Plus cards are too slow at U1 but then there are V#s, classes, U ratings, UHS ratings, A?, XC? HC? whatever those are... My brain does not compute this overly complicated sd card system. Which micro SD cards do y'all recommend?

Hi

I got my Anafi about 2 weeks so I did some research on Amazon (UK) and came up with the following list (based on the recommended cards listed by Parrot). Ended up buying the Sandisk Extreme 128 GB and have had no issues with it so far after about 20 flights and 100 video clips. Hope this helps... (all prices in GBP on 10th Feb 2019)

I had decided that a 128GB card was what I wanted so didn't research prices for all the smaller/larger options.

Joe

Sandisk Micro SD cards - Amazon UK - 10-Feb-2019 - all prices in GBP
--------------------------------------------------------------------

* Got this one *
4K UHD-ready with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30) / Up to 160MB/s read and 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting and transfers. Operating temperature : -25ºC to 85ºC
• Sandisk Extreme 128GB 28.39

4K UHD-ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30) / Up to 170MB/s read and 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting and transfers
• Sandisk Extreme Plus 128GB 37.62

4K UHD-ready with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30) / Up to 170MB/s read and 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting and transfers
• Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 36.17

Listed as compatible by Parrot however not shown online as being recommended for 4K video ....
• Sandisk Ultra 64GB 10.59
• Sandisk Ultra 128GB 21.27
• Sandisk Ultra 200GB 38.84
• Sandisk Ultra 256GB 54.59
• Sandisk Ultra 400GB 91.39

Before my anafi got lost, I stuck in a SanDisk Ultra? (Or extreme, can't quite remember) with gold and red livery. 64GB. Seemed to work flawlessly with 4k video and 1080p 60fps

It is confusing. "Ultra" is the key word. Make sure it says "Ultra"

Go to Anafi -> Sub-Forums -> Tested Memory Cards. There you can find a list of memory cards tested to work by the forum members.

I have been using the Costco Sandisk Ultras without problems. Sandisk Extreme is overkill on Anafi but needed on my Mavic 2 Pro. Go figure, both are 100 MBS. Any U3 should work though...

After a long time sorting things out with the good info on this forum - the key steps for some of us encountering the SD Error with the cards larger than 32 GB being:

1. Format the card as MSDOS-FAT on the Mac (per Yemsky's post above); or formatting (maybe just keeping) the exFAT format for WIndows users then,
  2. Using the Android version of FreeFlight to reformat the card to Anafi because you can get the format option under the SD Error icon. The iOS version will not presently let you reformat the card to Anafi.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Bud

After a long time sorting things out with the good info on this forum - the key steps for some of us encountering the SD Error with the cards larger than 32 GB being:

1. Format the card as MSDOS-FAT on the Mac (per Yemsky's post above); or formatting (maybe just keeping) the exFAT format for WIndows users then,
  2. Using the Android version of FreeFlight to reformat the card to Anafi because you can get the format option under the SD Error icon. The iOS version will not presently let you reformat the card to Anafi.
Good luck!

Cheers,
Bud
There's a free app for use on Mac systems that is produced by the consortium that created SD cards as a universal standard. Use that to format your SD & micro SD cards & you can use them in any device with no problems!

The current version of FF6 for iOS does let you format your SD Cards in the Anafi, but, you need to format them correctly in the first place by using the above mentioned app.

There's a free app for use on Mac systems that is produced by the consortium that created SD cards as a universal standard. Use that to format your SD & micro SD cards & you can use them in any device with no problems!

The current version of FF6 for iOS does let you format your SD Cards in the Anafi, but, you need to format them correctly in the first place by using the above mentioned app.

This is interesting.
Are you saying that a high capacity card (128GB for example) formatted in exFAT by using the SD Card Association Formatting tool is immediately recognisable in an Mac as well as the Anafi AND the content on the card can be read in the Mac afterwards?

This is interesting.
Are you saying that a high capacity card (128GB for example) formatted in exFAT by using the SD Card Association Formatting tool is immediately recognisable in an Mac as well as the Anafi AND the content on the card can be read in the Mac afterwards?
That was the case for me at that time, but since the latest FF6 update for iOS that method is no longer working for me. Here's what I have to do now.

For this to work you will need at least one card that is still recognisable & works in the Anafi. Hopefully you have one still.
  • Format card all your cards as FAT32 on any Mac using Disk Utility
  • Use the original still working card that came with the Anafi in the Anafi
  • Start the Anafi
  • Fire up FF6
  • Go to reformat the card, but don't
  • Stop at the point of choosing a Quick Reformat
  • Keep FF6 active. Do not shut it down
  • Turn off the Anafi
  • Remove the battery
  • Switch out your memory card for the FAT 32 formatted one
  • Turn on the Anafi
  • Wait for a minute
  • Press the Quick Format option on FF6
  • Enjoy using your working card!

Hi, I’m planning to buy Delkin Devices 64GB UHS-II Micro SDHC for my Parrot Anafi. Do you think it will work smoothly with the drone.

Memory card spec:
  • 64GB Storage Capacity
  • UHS-II / V90 / U3 / Class 10
  • Max Read Speed: 300 MB/s
  • Max Write Speed: 250 MB/s
  • Min Write Speed: 90 MB/s
  • Records 8K, 4K, 3D, and HDR Video
  • Records 360° and High-Speed Video
  • Records Raw, Burst, and High Frame Rates
  • Records/Stores Multiple Files/File Types

Hi, I’m planning to buy Delkin Devices 64GB UHS-II Micro SDHC for my Parrot Anafi. Do you think it will work smoothly with the drone.

Memory card spec:
  • 64GB Storage Capacity
  • UHS-II / V90 / U3 / Class 10
  • Max Read Speed: 300 MB/s
  • Max Write Speed: 250 MB/s
  • Min Write Speed: 90 MB/s
  • Records 8K, 4K, 3D, and HDR Video
  • Records 360° and High-Speed Video
  • Records Raw, Burst, and High Frame Rates
  • Records/Stores Multiple Files/File Types

It'll definitely work well with the drone.
However:
I'm using 2 SanDisk Extreme 64 GB microSDXC cards which is quarter of the price (below £14.95) of what you've mentioned (below £59.79), at least in the UK, and they work just fine too.
I have to say, that i'm recording in 2.7k only, and what I noticed, that the bitrate of the video is 60Mbps, which is the write speed of the cards that i'm using.
I've got 45 flight on record using only 1 of the 2 cards what I bought, without issues, slowdowns, waitings.

It'll definitely work well with the drone.
However:
I'm using 2 SanDisk Extreme 64 GB microSDXC cards which is quarter of the price (below £14.95) of what you've mentioned (below £59.79), at least in the UK, and they work just fine too.
I have to say, that i'm recording in 2.7k only, and what I noticed, that the bitrate of the video is 60Mbps, which is the write speed of the cards that i'm using.
I've got 45 flight on record using only 1 of the 2 cards what I bought, without issues, slowdowns, waitings.
Thank you for your reply and the suggestion. I think I’ll do the same. Look like no point bug that expensive card.

That was the case for me at that time, but since the latest FF6 update for iOS that method is no longer working for me. Here's what I have to do now.

For this to work you will need at least one card that is still recognisable & works in the Anafi. Hopefully you have one still.
  • Format card all your cards as FAT32 on any Mac using Disk Utility
  • Use the original still working card that came with the Anafi in the Anafi
  • Start the Anafi
  • Fire up FF6
  • Go to reformat the card, but don't
  • Stop at the point of choosing a Quick Reformat
  • Keep FF6 active. Do not shut it down
  • Turn off the Anafi
  • Remove the battery
  • Switch out your memory card for the FAT 32 formatted one
  • Turn on the Anafi
  • Wait for a minute
  • Press the Quick Format option on FF6
  • Enjoy using your working card!

Thanks a lot Krusty!! This worked with a Sandisk Ultra 400GB card. Had to run through it twice as the first time had an error writing to the card but now perfect and showing 423GB free :D(y)

I'm pleased to report that I was able to format a SanDisk Ultra 512 GB card with Krusty's procedure in post #12. The card is selling on Amazon for USD 75 at the time of this post.

Here's what it looks like:

Anafi512GBSDCard.jpeg

Note: I haven't flown or recorded anything with it yet.

Reactions: Ratmir
Have you actually tested that card fully using something like H2Testw?

I say as a 512GB card should show up as around 475GB.

You card is showing 511.7GB which to me screams fake card.

I'm pleased to report that I was able to format a SanDisk Ultra 512 GB card with Krusty's procedure in post #12. The card is selling on Amazon for USD 75 at the time of this post.

Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 3130

Note: I haven't flown or recorded anything with it yet.

• Haha
Reactions: edwardfcy1970
Hello all,
Probabably somewhat off the subject, but I'm reading here of huge memory sizes, 256 or even 512GB. What for?
When I come home from a mission I'm exited to see my results, all ok or have I to repeat the flight?
Therefore, as the first thing when back home, I move the videos from the Anafi to my computer.
I'm also seeing the possibility that my last flight will be the last flight.
I'm using a 64GB SanDisk extreme pro.
64GB is already an overkill. With my two batteries I would never exceed 32GB.
In case I'm losing my bird... bad enough I don't want to lose also precious material and a more costly card.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut