Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Camera Quality

mike8213

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm fresh and new here but I just FINALLY got a decent drone on Christmas! I've loved it so far but I'm just wondering if I'm getting the correct level of quality out of the camera. I know that colder temperatures and stuff will affect some quality but I'm a decently good hobby photographer and have been using DSLR camera's for some time now and I'm not sure the temperature would cause a 14mp 1080p camera with a low aperture to have this level of quality.

Granted, I don't know everything so this could be the correct quality. However, if this isn't the correct quality level due to the module being bad or something then I'd want to go ahead and do an exchange while still inside my 30 days. This picture is snapped from a video I was shooting. I'm around the 10-12 foot range I believe, 1080P high quality, and sitting still.

Attachments

• Bebop2_20181229161556-0600_Moment.jpg
    Bebop2_20181229161556-0600_Moment.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
Hi and welcome , the bebop unfortunately isn't very good in low light , but its a very good drone , re try it in good lightning ...

I just got one for Christmas as well. The 1080p video frame is 2.1mp and your photo looks like my old 2mp Sony camera. Hopefully if we use Photo Mode we can get a picture closer to a 14mp camera. Thanks for bringing this up, I will try the photo mode today.

I just got one for Christmas as well. The 1080p video frame is 2.1mp and your photo looks like my old 2mp Sony camera. Hopefully if we use Photo Mode we can get a picture closer to a 14mp camera. Thanks for bringing this up, I will try the photo mode today.
What do you mean about the 2.1mp video frame?

What do you mean about the 2.1mp video frame?
The video on the Bebop can be set as high as 30fps (30 frames per second or 30 pictures per second). A 1080p video is 1080 pixels X 1920 pixels = 2mp per frame. I am not a camera expert but I have noticed on my digital camera a picture always looks better that the video. I tried the video mode and photo mode on the Bebop today and the photo was multitudes better quality.

The video on the Bebop can be set as high as 30fps (30 frames per second or 30 pictures per second). A 1080p video is 1080 pixels X 1920 pixels = 2mp per frame. I am not a camera expert but I have noticed on my digital camera a picture always looks better that the video. I tried the video mode and photo mode on the Bebop today and the photo was multitudes better quality.
I hadn't really thought of it like that. I guess I'm just comparing it to photo/video quality off of my DSLR but what you say makes absolute sense.

I've also landed ok a channel from YouTube today and they had a video from the drab winter months and one from the vibrant summer months and the video is definitely better by spades in the different season.

What format did you take the photo in, and if it was the DNG do you use anything to "unwrap" the fisheye?

I tried all the different formats. One of the formats produced without fisheye, but i didn't pay attention to which. I have no idea how to unwrap a fisheye photo.

As steely noted, the capture is 2.1mp from the frame. Some cameras use the entire sensor and downscale to the output video resolution, effectively super-sampling the video stream, leading to higher quality video/individual frames.

Some cameras simply use a portion of the sensor 1:1 with the video output, leading to image quality like you saw above.

As noted above as well, using the photo function will give you the results you seek.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your recent bebop 2, it’s a great drone but as mentioned in low light it’s terrible.

However, you can use the Exposure setting to brighten up or darken your video or pictures. Recently came across the feature, it’s great currently have my right wheel selected to adjust Exposure Settings. So when lighting conditions change, use this feature.

Please keep us posted, and congrats again.

Paul

Hello,

I'm fresh and new here but I just FINALLY got a decent drone on Christmas! I've loved it so far but I'm just wondering if I'm getting the correct level of quality out of the camera. I know that colder temperatures and stuff will affect some quality but I'm a decently good hobby photographer and have been using DSLR camera's for some time now and I'm not sure the temperature would cause a 14mp 1080p camera with a low aperture to have this level of quality.

Granted, I don't know everything so this could be the correct quality. However, if this isn't the correct quality level due to the module being bad or something then I'd want to go ahead and do an exchange while still inside my 30 days. This picture is snapped from a video I was shooting. I'm around the 10-12 foot range I believe, 1080P high quality, and sitting still.
Mike8213,

If you have set your camera software up correctly, ie, 1080P, 30FPS, etc, you should be good to go, UNLESS you are flying in less than 50F temperature. I've flown my BB2 in weather from high 90's to about 20F. The camera does not like the cold, and if you went from a nominal temperature inside, direct to a cold outside, the optics may change some. I have not been able to find a good solution to this, even if I leave the drone outside for 20 minutes to let it acclimate.

Cheesenacho

I hadn't really thought of it like that. I guess I'm just comparing it to photo/video quality off of my DSLR but what you say makes absolute sense.

I've also landed ok a channel from YouTube today and they had a video from the drab winter months and one from the vibrant summer months and the video is definitely better by spades in the different season.

What format did you take the photo in, and if it was the DNG do you use anything to "unwrap" the fisheye?
Jon Manser

Check out my videos on YouTube you'll get an idea how video and pictures are from bebop in all weather aspects..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here a edited fisheye pic. Sorry for the 1 that's flipped 90°
a97d63e3b9ada8ef55c4cfbb1921446d.jpg
6adbc728794aa200c29a2da2744b1ece.jpg
46a8a3f3358d0ab7d59571d35320131d.jpg
25cf896b2f17422d5672d98ae4e2de3d.jpg

IronMan....did you use a program to convert fisheye to normal? If so, which one did you use?

CN

Adobe LightRoom cc. It's a free app but, has other features you can pay for, but has a defisheye for parrot free. I'm using Android so available in Google play

I found a link to Windows dowload, but it looks like you need a Creative Cloud account. Did you have to do that?

CN

Parrot Bebop 2 Video Setting What is the difference between high and standard settings?

I think it's just the bitrate used to encode the video - 20 Mbps in standard, 30 Mbps in high. Higher bitrate gives better quality at the expense of bigger video files, i.e. less recording time before you fill up the internal memory (but still enough to last one full battery). If you look up a guy called anthonyvlog on youtube you can find instructions to hack the bebop 2 to bump the bitrate up to 40 Mbps.

Reactions: ZotyAdry
I think it's just the bitrate used to encode the video - 20 Mbps in standard, 30 Mbps in high. Higher bitrate gives better quality at the expense of bigger video files, i.e. less recording time before you fill up the internal memory (but still enough to last one full battery). If you look up a guy called anthonyvlog on youtube you can find instructions to hack the bebop 2 to bump the bitrate up to 40 Mbps.
Thanks!

Thank you for sharing the video information, I viewed some of Anthony’s other informative videos, great guy he’s always sharing informative videos. Haven’t viewed the video yet, I’ll search for it this week.

Thanks again,
Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut