Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Controlling speed

Shiningmonk

Reaction score
When creating a flight plan, I know you can set the speed between each waypoint by long clicking on the small circle and selecting edit. However, how do you control the speed of the drone when flying manually, or is this simply based on how hard you push the movement sticks?

Once you take manual control of either stick the flight plan is cancelled. There does not seem to be a setting for horizontal speed in the piloting preferences, but it's quite obvious that the drone goes a lot faster in sport mode.

I think you just have to be gentle with the fore and aft movements of the right stick. I know the drone flies way too fast for some of my shots, and I'm currently using 16 fps for legs of a Flight Plan and even that is too fast. Next flyable day I'm going down to 8 fps and see how that looks. In order to go only 8 fps in manual, you barely have to sneeze at the right stick, and 8 fps is the speed of a jogging man. I'm going to experiment with just how slow I can get the Anafi to move.

Last edited:
I'm going to experiment with just how slow I can get the Anafi to move.

I seem to have made it slower by lowering the inclination and/or inclination speed setting under the Piloting prefs.

I was looking for a way to make the camera go sideways (pan) without tilting, although I suppose the gimbal would compensate for that while recording.

Reactions: dmbrody
So I did a little experiment this morning in calm winds. I set all the flight parameters as low as they would go and walked around behind the drone at waist height while trying to use the minimum amount of stick movement. I was able to control it at a walking speed around garden obstacles, but trying to be very smooth while walking was not really possible. The right stick needs to be moved about 1/4 inch to get it moving, but the threshold between stopping and moving is such that the tiniest movement of my right thumb caused it to stop or move a bit faster than I wanted. If I had been filming it would have looked quite jerky. I would estimate that about 3 feet per second was the slowest I could manage.

I also flew my Flight Plan around my house with the leg speed re-set at 8 fps. This worked very well, nice and smooth with sufficient time to look at various house details. That's going to be my default speed for any sort of POI orbit when the POI is roughly 100 feet in size. The FP worked much better than Cameraman because the property is rectangular. It only took about 10 tries to get it right! :cool: Shot in 1080p at 25 fps with a polarizer.

Last edited:
So I did a little experiment this morning in calm winds. I set all the flight parameters as low as they would go and walked around behind the drone at waist height while trying to use the minimum amount of stick movement. I was able to control it at a walking speed around garden obstacles, but trying to be very smooth while walking was not really possible. The right stick needs to be moved about 1/4 inch to get it moving, but the threshold between stopping and moving is such that the tiniest movement of my right thumb caused it to stop or move a bit faster than I wanted. If I had been filming it would have looked quite jerky. I would estimate that about 3 feet per second was the slowest I could manage.

I also flew my Flight Plan around my house with the leg speed re-set at 8 fps. This worked very well, nice and smooth with sufficient time to look at various house details. That's going to be my default speed for any sort of POI orbit when the POI is roughly 100 feet in size. The FP worked much better than Cameraman because the property is rectangular. It only took about 10 tries to get it right! :cool: Shot in 1080p at 25 fps with a polarizer.

I know exactly what you mean trying to walk behind and keep control of the Anafi. This was from last summer walking down a bush trail. Watching where it was going and trying not to trip on things along the way was tough LOL
The end of the video I shut the motors of by flipping it upside down in case you are wondering.

I might try another garden walk using SloMo, which I haven't tried yet. Several of my garden obstacles are metal, which made me a bit nervous! I think any video of this sort of low level slow is going to show some jerkiness as the drone stops and starts, but if it was important, one could edit those out or use a transition. I need to find a really nice flower garden that someone will let me fly in. That could be difficult, given drones reputations among most people. :eek:

Hi all ... I'd like to be able to set flight speed at less than 1m/s for dolly pans ... This seems to be the minimum or the slider to the right of the screen ... Can anyone please guide on how to type in a speed of say 0.3m/s ie anything less than 1m/s ... Thanks

I don't think you can do that. When flying manually I could not maintain steady forward speeds below 1m/s; it would stop and start. In Flight Plan, the lowest speed I have used is 8ft./sec. or 2.4 m/s. You can type in a leg speed of 0.3 m/s and see what happens. I just don't think there is anyway to get that slow in a Dolly Zoom, as there is no provision for typing in a speed. But I could be wrong, I have not tested either scenario.

The FP worked much better than Cameraman because the property is rectangular.
Instead of CameraMan, try TouchFly POI. It is much smoother than CameraMan which tends to make the drone “nod” up and down.

It’s not as convenient as just drawing a rectangle around your subject, but it’s not exactly cumbersome either. All you have to do is drop a POI on the map, and use a slider to set the height of the subject off the ground.

The result is far superior. It still may not have helped you specifically (because rectangular property), but in other situations, if your a fan of cameraman, you’re going to love TouchFly POI.

You can fly wherever you want, just like Cameraman. But the gimbal does a much much better job of smoothly tilting up and down to keep the camera aimed at the target. And you can control flight behaviors by adjusting settings in for Film and Sport mode.

By the way, you can slow Sport mode down until it’s way slower than Film. I do that sometimes. I like the default Film settings and I don’t often need Sport, so I just use Sport for any customizations, fast or slllloooowwww.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut