Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Disassemble camera from gimbal

Sedoj

Reaction score
Dear Community!
There are good assemble/disassemble guides from Parrot but unfortunately they don't describe the gimbal+camera part.
Is it possible to dismount camera from the gimbal?
I have a weird problem - the small flat cable is torn (, need to find some way to approach it!
Thank you!

Attachments

• Foto2.jpg
    Foto2.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 134
I’m sorry to hear of the ribbon tearing, these are very easy to damage.

This particular ribbon, is the cameras tilt feature. It can be removed without removing the camera Gimbal. On the side, is a flap. That flap can be removed, but first remove the Gimbal arm.

From here you can disassemble the ribbon after removing the Gimbal arm. The tilt ribbon connects to the main board behind the motor board, a total of three ribbons are routed to the Gimbal arm two mount directly to the camera the third is the stabilizing ribbon.

Be careful, now the stabilizing ribbon can be damaged once you start working on the tilt ribbon.

Disassembling the Gimbal area may be a challenge for some, if you’re good disassembling and repairing electronics on drones you may be ok tackling this issue. If not, Search the internet for a Gimbal disassembling video, I’m sure someone out there has posted a video disassembling the Gimbal area.

You’ll probably have to search the internet for another tilt ribbon, if Parrot can’t send you one look for a crashed Anafi.

Good luck, hope all turns out well for you.
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: Sedoj
Dear Paul! Thank you so much for extensive answer! It is very useful!
Yes, the ribbon is definitely responsible for tilt feature. However, it seems that it's also responsible for lateral stabilisation of the camera in the flight, right?
Alex

Lateral is done only in software.
Yes, probably, as the tilt ribbon is non functional, the camera takes arbitrary position (up-down) during the flight, that's why the image seems distorted (not balanced)! Right?

Hello Alex,

If the lateral stabilization issue was there before ribbon was damaged, the problem is probably elsewhere.

I’m not too familiar with the Anafi, I’ve only had it two weeks today but have learned so much disassembling it several times. Issue after issue mostly with the three main ribbon harnesses, Camera, tilt, stabilitizer and a forth the vertical ribbon. Finally got if all working, Was a learning process each time an issue arised.

Now, I highly recommend its to our benefit buying a new Anafi having a warranty. The Anafi is very sensitive, especially in the ribbon connection areas.

Have patience, if you can’t find a tilt ribbon set aside the Anafi. Eventually, you’ll find a crashed Anafi for a good price and between the two, you’ll probably get a good flying Anafi again.

It would be great if Parrot would sell a Anafi ribbon kit, we need this kit.

Sorry I wasn’t too much help, hope all works out for you.

All the best,
Paul

Hello Alex,

If the lateral stabilization issue was there before ribbon was damaged, the problem is probably elsewhere.

I’m not too familiar with the Anafi, I’ve only had it two weeks today but have learned so much disassembling it several times. Issue after issue mostly with the three main ribbon harnesses, Camera, tilt, stabilitizer and a forth the vertical ribbon. Finally got if all working, Was a learning process each time an issue arised.

Now, I highly recommend its to our benefit buying a new Anafi having a warranty. The Anafi is very sensitive, especially in the ribbon connection areas.

Have patience, if you can’t find a tilt ribbon set aside the Anafi. Eventually, you’ll find a crashed Anafi for a good price and between the two, you’ll probably get a good flying Anafi again.

It would be great if Parrot would sell a Anafi ribbon kit, we need this kit.

Sorry I wasn’t too much help, hope all works out for you.

All the best,
Paul

Hi, Paul!
No, the stabilization issue has arisen at the same time (the same minor incident). So, most probably, camera behaves abnormally due to the tilt motor failure.
You are absolutely right about protection - I can't understand why Parrot didnt protect such a sensitive and subtle thing as a thin ribbon. It was torn in a really minor accident, I shall say (. And unfortunately it's not possible to solder it as the wires in the cable are too thin ((. generally, the first impression is that Parrot product is too fragile. And, of course, lack of sensors...
Again, you are absolutely right about the ribbon kit - it'd be great if we could buy it... Or at least this particular, most sensitive ribbon leading to gimbal + camera. Currently, as it turned out to be impossible to recover the ribbon, I will have to buy some killed/crashed drone (or gimbal+camera part of it) just to take out some small piece of the cable, which actually shall cost nothing ). I see no other way, unfortunately... The ribbon is unrecoverable.
Thank you very much,
Alex

I’m sorry to hear of the ribbon tearing, these are very easy to damage.

This particular ribbon, is the cameras tilt feature. It can be removed without removing the camera Gimbal. On the side, is a flap. That flap can be removed, but first remove the Gimbal arm.

From here you can disassemble the ribbon after removing the Gimbal arm. The tilt ribbon connects to the main board behind the motor board, a total of three ribbons are routed to the Gimbal arm two mount directly to the camera the third is the stabilizing ribbon.

Be careful, now the stabilizing ribbon can be damaged once you start working on the tilt ribbon.

Disassembling the Gimbal area may be a challenge for some, if you’re good disassembling and repairing electronics on drones you may be ok tackling this issue. If not, Search the internet for a Gimbal disassembling video, I’m sure someone out there has posted a video disassembling the Gimbal area.

You’ll probably have to search the internet for another tilt ribbon, if Parrot can’t send you one look for a crashed Anafi.

Good luck, hope all turns out well for you.
Paul
Dear Paul! BTW, when I will eventually find the ribbon (e.g., disassembling the killed drone)), which glue shall I use to stick it bak to the gimbal parts? Is it essential question or we can use any kind of the glue?
Alex

Dear Paul! BTW, when I will eventually find the ribbon (e.g., disassembling the killed drone)), which glue shall I use to stick it bak to the gimbal parts? Is it essential question or we can use any kind of the glue?
Alex
Hello Alex,

Good question, that occurred to me as well. Most likely, the ribbon portion flush against that chrome wheel will already have a peel and sticky residue applied to this portion of the ribbon. It’s neatly done, so I feel you’ll be alright should already have this sticky residue on there.

You’ll eventually get your Anafi going, have patience. Hopefully you have a backup drone, that’s good too I have several always mixing them up enjoying each one.

All the best,
Paul

Alex
On another note, took the Anafi out on a long distance flight this morning. Matched my Anafi record on distance, but had to land 1/2 mile away from launch area.

Flew 4 miles as crow flies, 3.5 miles back landing 1/2 mile from launch area wasn’t enough battery to make it back.

My Anafi record is 4 miles out, 4 miles back on single battery charge. I’m amazed with the Anafi distances it achieves, using another type antenna setup to get the extra range.

Take care,
Paul

Alex
That is a flat ribbon cable which is either soldered to a PCB or fixed with a small special plug. Such a flat cable also has more than one wire in it, so it's nearly impossible to repair it. If you don't get an original replacement, you could try to repair with very thin single wires, but that's hard work too.
So: normally no chance.

That is a flat ribbon cable which is either soldered to a PCB or fixed with a small special plug. Such a flat cable also has more than one wire in it, so it's nearly impossible to repair it. If you don't get an original replacement, you could try to repair with very thin single wires, but that's hard work too.
So: normally no chance.

Hello Dirk ANAFI,

Very true it’s a flat cable, I’ve taken mine off on both ends. It snaps on, one side to the motor board (vertical circuit board) the other side of cable on the side of camera Gimbal. Underneath the flap on side of Gimbal.

I agree, it’s impossible to repair. Best bet is too replace, and it’s tricky very tight quarters.

Wish parrot would sell ribbon cables, maybe they will.

Paul

Will try to buy some crashed Anafi for spare parts. I have already understood how fragile it is, so most probably will have to have a lot of spare details in the future )))

Will try to buy some crashed Anafi for spare parts. I have already understood how fragile it is, so most probably will have to have a lot of spare details in the future )))
I have a non-working gimbal from a crash. The ribbon cable looks intact. Want the gimbal?

I have a non-working gimbal from a crash. The ribbon cable looks intact. Want the gimbal?
Hello WezshOT,

Since Sedoj arlready purshased a parts drone off eBay, I’ll purshase the Gimbal and ribbon from you. I can use these parts, sent you a PM.

All the best,
Paul

Dear friends! I have replaced the gimbal with a new one but unfortunately...the camera is OK, but the both motors of gimbal are dead (. So gimbal doesnt initialize, dosnt calibrate and doesnt work.
I would be grateful for the advise. In case if during the crash there was some short circuit (when the ribbon torn), can the problem be in the motorboard? Or in the main board? What I shall check? Generally, the drone is OK, all the main motors functional, camera "sees".
Thank you in advance!

Dear friends! I have replaced the gimbal with a new one but unfortunately...the camera is OK, but the both motors of gimbal are dead (. So gimbal doesnt initialize, dosnt calibrate and doesnt work.
I would be grateful for the advise. In case if during the crash there was some short circuit (when the ribbon torn), can the problem be in the motorboard? Or in the main board? What I shall check? Generally, the drone is OK, all the main motors functional, camera "sees".
Thank you in advance!
Hello Sedoj,

Sorry to hear of the Gimbal motors not working, Anafi connections are very sensitive. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the motor ribbon connections. The end of the Gimbal motors ribbon connects to small motor board, the front end of this motors ribbon connects to back side of Gimbal assembly. And of course the motor board ribbon connects to main board which powers the motor board.

The camera harness connects to the main board, same board the antenna cables and vertical camera connects too.

Yes indeed, Anafi ribbon connections are very sensitive, just disconnect and reconnect.

Keep us posted, try rebooting the Anafi as well.

Paul

77ED9D94-74BB-4185-A694-6C5FC1A6C2D1.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Turbeville