Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Discharging of the batteries, not just while "in" the Anafi? Did it change with latest batt. update?

BQUOTE="Clrk, post: 33981, member: 4581"]
[...]
I did use a power bank to charge the batteries on some long hike days to get some more flights out of the 2 batteries. Maybe it damaged them.
[/QUOTE]

My best guess, at time, is also charging devices.
For almost all the time I have used Xiaomi PD chargers.
No problem
Since I tried out my OP Chargers and used sometimes a PD powerbank
Now there are problems

It seems it needs a bit longer to recharge them to full now, too.
But have not tested that with a timer, yet.

I need also to test if there is still a "hibernating ability", now.
So I will charge one off em and leave it alone for some days.
Kind of doubt that hibernating is still possible.
But that would help a bit, to "nail" the timeframe down.
At least in April I had to wake them up by using the charger

Is it possible that you have been in an area of very high humidity and the internal circuitry of the batteries have been corroded by moisture from the air condensing inside the batteries at night due to lower temperatures causing a high resistance short circuit?

Since I am in a tropic country, I store all my electronics in sealed containers, when not in use.
Aside that the moist level and temperature in my house is almost constant and a lot lower, as the 80-90+% outside, sometimes
Also it would not really explain, that all 3 batteries start at the same time.
that is not how corrosion is working, isn't it?

Also I have DJI batteries, double the age, which still working fine.

That must have happen in the past couple of weeks, I think!

I was using a buggy hacked version of freeflight on Android

That is a thought, that I have too.
The only thing, I have for sure done with all batteries, is that I have flown them several times with the "FF6_6.6.2.203_FCC_Selectable"

But right now it feels like a very long shot, to see that as the reason for the changed battery behavior.
Has Parrot a history of having the auto decharging somehow setable in the flight app?
Aside that it is not an auto decharging process, like it is supposed to be.
Anyway, if other things (reset in Charge process, decharge in powerbank mode, decharge in flight PLUS "a bit more", ....) don't get that reseted, I will certainly try with an older original FF6

Just one thing:
If it changed back on your side, by changing to the latest app version, fw for bird and battery:
I still think, this can all be part of the bugs from parrots side.
There was a reason, for them to bring out all this 2020 updates. short after they got out the "last good one"
What about, if the "last good one" is the "first bad one"
And this 's a rising process?
Most pilots are just coming out of no fly winter mode!

And I have flown ALL my batteries with the "last good one", too!

Last edited:
Well, I was in tropical countries as well, that might be a clue.

For the app, I always used the original one Android, never used the moded one

Update:
I stopped that cycle and again reseted all batteries during recharging.
Two of them I just stored, one I did empty by charging my phones with it.

The two are, after 24h, again down to 75% and 76%
The one I have used as powerbank I recharged in the morning, that one is after 12h at 96%
Will see 2morrow, if that is a change or just a slower decharge, this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

~96h after recharged to 100%:
1x44% (2 LEDs), 2x 40%(1LED)
(it seems to slow down?)
And I have NOT seen any LED flashing, in the past 4 days!
Around 40% shouldn't it be 1 steady, 2 flashing?
The "86h" check was still 2 LED steady!

~ 86 h after last full Charge:
1x46%, 2x 42%

About 72 h after full recharging:
1x 52%, 2x 48%

60 hours after charging to 100%:
1x 55%, 2x 56%

48h after last charging em to 100%
61%, 62%, 64% left.

24h after the last full charge
1x 76% and 2x 77%

Update:

Nope, it did not stop:

About 24 h after recharging, "the one" is also down to 79%

Which let me think, looking at the 96% after 12 h, that "starting the Anafi" with it may be a trigger?
So next step is: All got decharged with there powerbank function, are on recharge right now and will first looked at in 24h by just pushing the powerbutton, not by starting the Anafi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one I have used as powerbank I recharged in the morning, that one is after 12h at 96%

(it seems to slow down?)

1x46%, 2x 42%

1x 52%, 2x 48%

1x 55%, 2x 56%

61%, 62%, 64% left.

1x 76% and 2x 77%

That is a feature

that is not a documented feature, and it might be the reason why your batteries on the old buggy firmware appear to be broken. Around November I had the same problems. But now it appears that running your batteries down to charge your phone might have done some permanent damage

Also:

- Never fully discharge the batteries before recharging them.
- Never store a battery that is fully discharged.
- Recharge the battery after each use – within 20 minutes.
- Never leave a charged battery on a charger.
- Always respect the charging time indicated in the instructions.

( USB Power Delivery (5V, 9V, 12V – 3A): 105 minutes, Wall socket adapter (5V – 3A):between 150 and 210 minutes (2hrs 30mins to 3hrs 30mins), Computer USB port or external battery: about 270 minutes (4hrs 30mins))

Because you did all these things it is highly likely you f- up your battery by your own misuse

Reactions: Seven Ng
Also:

- Never fully discharge the batteries before recharging them.
- Never store a battery that is fully discharged.
- Recharge the battery after each use – within 20 minutes.
- Never leave a charged battery on a charger.
- Always respect the charging time indicated in the instructions.

( USB Power Delivery (5V, 9V, 12V – 3A): 105 minutes, Wall socket adapter (5V – 3A):between 150 and 210 minutes (2hrs 30mins to 3hrs 30mins), Computer USB port or external battery: about 270 minutes (4hrs 30mins))

Because you did all these things it is highly likely you f- up your battery by your own misuse

Always respected these things.
However:
Using a powerbank to charge the batteries might have broke something. I noticed from time to time a battery not charging even plugged on a powerbank.
Maybe the battery was charging the power bank, and the powerbank was charging the battery in short loop, damaging it?

Always respected these things.
However:
Using a powerbank to charge the batteries might have broke something. I noticed from time to time a battery not charging even plugged on a powerbank.
Maybe the battery was charging the power bank, and the powerbank was charging the battery in short loop, damaging it?

could be! It should be able to be charged by power banks, but I believe officially only by the ones that support USB PD (power delivery), maybe that has to do with it as well?

that is not a documented feature, and it might be the reason why your batteries on the old buggy firmware appear to be broken. Around November I had the same problems. But now it appears that running your batteries down to charge your phone might have done some permanent damage

I am pretty sure, it is (or was) a documented feature (somewhere), around the time (end 2018)I bought it.
Something like "you can even charge your remote/phone with them"
Perhaps it was just a discovery in a review video, but I did not get this idea by myself ;-)
Just can't find it right now.
Nevertheless, I haven't used that feature before just now, to do something different to decharge 'em, instead of just hovering them down. (It's raining often, right now!)

[...]

That aside (and questionable it is ;-), how possible do you think it is, that it starts on all 3 batteries at the same time?
Like I wrote, I usually charge my batteries after using them to 2 steady and as soon the 3 starts blinking, I stop. And charge fully at the morning of the supposed flight day.
And with the change to recharging them, b/c I had a couple of flightdays (at least planned) day after day, they started to decharge over night.

[...]

That is a mentioned part in the manual:
"About USB-PD power banks: Parrot does not recommend users to invest in a USB-PD power bank, as not all of them support USB-C to USB-C charging of ’s battery. Indeed, due to the nature of the USB-C technology, some USB-PD power banks recharge on ’s smart battery, rather than the other way around. "

And you can be sure, my powerbank is charging the anafi batteries, not the other way round!

However, I agree that there must happen somehing to the batteries, what they dont "like".
I just trying to find out, what it was.
And to reverse it.
Without having to update my bird to the latest fw., which also would get me access to the latest batterie update.
If I just could find another Anafi Pilot somewhere on Phuket
With an updated bird, I could update on of 'em at least
;-)

So right now I am trying to get some reactions.
One of the next things to try will be flying them down with an older and original FF6
Will see

Last edited:
If I would measure the amount of self discharging of a battery, I would measure the voltage with an instrument with high resistance on the input port.
I would do this to avoid any external current that could discharge the battery during the measurement cycle.
Ana789 tries to "measure" the self discharging by putting the battery into Anafi every 10 to 20h. That is always a complete power up cycle with it's own power consumption.
This is no good method to measure or judge self discharging of Anafi's battery.

Yep, but even if I don't check on it by powering up the bird, still the LED's going down!
The powering up may be prevent them from going to sleep.
But with that rate of decharging, they wouldn't just start hibernating after about 8 days, b/c they are under 10% already.

Aside: 30 seconds of powering it up is not even 1%.
But even if it was, the 4-8% in 12 hours are not coming from that

Update:
48hours, not inserted in Anafi: Still decharging, just 3 LED's @ all 3 batteries

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope, it did not stop:

About 24 h after recharging, "the one" is also down to 79%

Which let me think, looking at the 96% after 12 h, that "starting the Anafi" with it may be a trigger?
So next step is: All got decharged with there powerbank function, are on recharge right now and will first looked at in 24h by just pushing the powerbutton, not by starting the Anafi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(it seems to slow down?)

1x46%, 2x 42%

1x 52%, 2x 48%

1x 55%, 2x 56%

61%, 62%, 64% left.

1x 76% and 2x 77%

Members online