Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DNG problems

Todd G

Reaction score
I shoot in jpeg-Dng. I like post processing. The trouble I'm having is when I pull in the DNG file it has severe vignetting in the top left and right corners. The jpeg does not. I'm using photoshop elements 2018. My canon raw shots work fine.

Ideally you need a editor that utilises lens correction profiles, photoshop elements 2018 doesn't.

Darktable and Rawtherapee are a couple of contenders that do ; they are also free.

I will check into that. If I open the DNG on the computer it is fine as is the jpeg it's only when I put it into elements I get the vignetting. Sample the small screen shot is the DNG just opened on the computer. The large is what it winds up looking like after it go's through elements. The jpeg will open full size with no defects.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 20
I suspect that when you're opening the DNG on your pc it's displaying the imbedded jpeg.

Reactions: Janos_Sz
adobe lightroom has the built in lens correction

correct me if i am wrong but the dng file is a raw picture file and as such would need editing / adjusting in a program like lightroom before being added to any video clips

Ideally you need a editor that utilises lens correction profiles, photoshop elements 2018 doesn't.

Darktable and Rawtherapee are a couple of contenders that do ; they are also free.
Does the same thing in Darktable

adobe lightroom has the built in lens correction

correct me if i am wrong but the dng file is a raw picture file and as such would need editing / adjusting in a program like lightroom before being added to any video clips
Well raw files from my canon would never open without being put into photoshope and saveed in some kind of file that will open, my case tiff. The dng open by just clicking it.

Do you have a ND filter or similar fitted on the anafi camera?

As others have said,the dng files will need lens correcting, otherwise they will have the fisheye effect (though you say you've opened the file, you don't say whether you applied the lens correction). However, I'm pretty sure any dngs I've taken don't have the black corners you have, which is why I wonder if you had a filter fitted that is obstructing some of the full view.

Do you have a ND filter or similar fitted on the anafi camera?

As others have said,the dng files will need lens correcting, otherwise they will have the fisheye effect (though you say you've opened the file, you don't say whether you applied the lens correction). However, I'm pretty sure any dngs I've taken don't have the black corners you have, which is why I wonder if you had a filter fitted that is obstructing some of the full view.
I have a uv filter. The jpegs come out fine as do the DNG if I just open it. If I want to post process it that's when I get the problem. I contacted Adobe and was told 2018 elements does not work with DNG I will have to get the 2020. I have no Idea what you mean by lens correction.

I have a uv filter. The jpegs come out fine as do the DNG if I just open it. If I want to post process it that's when I get the problem. I contacted Adobe and was told 2018 elements does not work with DNG I will have to get the 2020. I have no Idea what you mean by lens correction.

Pretty sure even elements 2020 doesn't feature profile corrections.

The following is for Lightroom but should give you the gist :~

You're getting two pieces of advice from people here.

Dng shots on the anafi require lens correction to avoid/remove the fish eye effect that is visible (curved horizon for instance) - this isn't required on the jpgs as the anafi does it for you. So if working with dng shots you need your editing app to do this, and people have suggested a number of options.

Your original question was about vignetting, by which I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly, I'm no photographer and had to Google the term) your talking about the dark/black corners to your dng image - I strongly suspect this will be being caused by your filter. I'd suggest removing the uv filter and trying again.

How does the dng file look if you just use the gallery in free flight itself, does it also show the dark corners?

From my experience of DNG shooting, no vignetting is present on the raw file.

It needs processing for lens correction due to the ‘fish eye’ effect but not for vignetting.

Of course, when a jpeg is made by the Anafi, it is ‘cut in the corners so your vignetting May disappear...

99% sure it comes from your lens filter... try to remove it and make a pic in DNG mode to check... (even in your bedroom, you’ll see the difference ....)

Last edited:
If you are shooting DNG + JPEG RECT with ND filters on you will see vignetting in the DNG file until you use a program to correct it. Not a big deal to make the adjustment.

Here you can see vignetting from the filter
41148404_1991321427574087_7349273373756620800_n.jpg

And here is the same photo after correction in Photoshop.
41340885_1991356760903887_657285650197774336_n.jpg

You're getting two pieces of advice from people here.

Dng shots on the anafi require lens correction to avoid/remove the fish eye effect that is visible (curved horizon for instance) - this isn't required on the jpgs as the anafi does it for you. So if working with dng shots you need your editing app to do this, and people have suggested a number of options.

Your original question was about vignetting, by which I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly, I'm no photographer and had to Google the term) your talking about the dark/black corners to your dng image - I strongly suspect this will be being caused by your filter. I'd suggest removing the uv filter and trying again.

How does the dng file look if you just use the gallery in free flight itself, does it also show the dark corners?
Yep it was the filter. Didn't suspect that since the jpegs didn't have that.

If you are shooting DNG + JPEG RECT with ND filters on you will see vignetting in the DNG file until you use a program to correct it. Not a big deal to make the adjustment.

Here you can see vignetting from the filter
View attachment 2884

And here is the same photo after correction in Photoshop.
View attachment 2885
Yea it was the filter. Want to keep it on to protect the lens. Rather the filter get a scratch than the lens. I have phoshop elements 2018. Can I fix that like you did with elements? I tried cropping but it took out too much of the photo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
falcon_up