Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Drifting Issue

d95gas

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to add to my collection by grabbing myself the Parrot Anafi. Been watching a few videos and one of the things they all complain about, is the amount of drifting the Anafa does when doing things like hovvering.

I notice there has been a firmware update and wondered if that has helped reduce the driving at all?

Many thanks

According to my opinion , not a lot . After calibrating the drone a few times , it improved a little bit. But i don’t think it had to do with fw update. However , i find drifting occurs more when just taking off and let it hover. After a few minutes is looks a bit more stable.

Ok thanks for that, hopefully they will try and resolve in future firmware updates. I am concious though that it only has 1 sensor, unlike my Mavic. As long as the drifting is not major I can live with it.

The longer it sets on the ground before lift off the better it seems to do, I try to count/wait 30 seconds more after everything is green before lift off. After the firmware update I feel it takes less than half the time to get stable. The amount of drift above 30 feet in wind seems reduced. I know it is more chatty as it fights the wind now.

The rule of thumb over at the Yuneec forum for the Typhoon H was first flight or after a firmware update to start the bird up and wait 12 minutes till it downloaded all the GPS info mombo jumbo stuff. From what they say over there it is only needed once in a while to calibrate the craft. This is coming from people smarter then me so don't shot the messenger LOL
I have found anytime I had drift with any of my quads a simple compass calibration improve it.

The rule of thumb over at the Yuneec forum for the Typhoon H was first flight or after a firmware update to start the bird up and wait 12 minutes till it downloaded all the GPS info mombo jumbo stuff. From what they say over there it is only needed once in a while to calibrate the craft. This is coming from people smarter then me so don't shot the messenger LOL
I have found anytime I had drift with any of my quads a simple compass calibration improve it.

Yes, same for the Bebops and i guess for the Anafi. They clear the A-GPS & Almanach data.
I actually give them 30 minutes ;-)

Very solid hover now, its not as "locked in" as the DJI's but passed the limit to acceptable for me.

Ender

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
All sounds very postivie ...... I am guessing I am going to have to get the wallet out, release the moths, and get one and try for myself. Just wish Parrot/Apple would sort themselves out so us in the UK (Possibly EU as well), and actually buy the add-on's that are available in FF6

According to my opinion , not a lot . After calibrating the drone a few times , it improved a little bit. But i don’t think it had to do with fw update. However , i find drifting occurs more when just taking off and let it hover. After a few minutes is looks a bit more stable.

Coming back to my previous review. I just have been testing the anafi with windspeed of approx 35 km/h ( beaufortscale 5) and i must say its more stable when hovering than i expected and as before update somehow. I listen to the tip here somewhere in this post , to leave drone on ground for 30seconds and then take off. But i still find upon take off , it has a litlle drift , but that disappears very quickly. And during flight in this windspeed no drift at all or a few centimetres , but cannot be seen

Reactions: KentA
I am putting in my order today for delivery tomorrow :) and going to try and do what others have suggested, which is to leave it to sit for 20mins or so in order that all the AGPS and Almanac data can be downloaded, then adopt the 30sec rule.

Only thing I am wary of, is leaving is sat powered on. The Mavic Pro has a nasty habit of overheating if its just sat and you dont have airflow, ie fan running, so will just use my decent USB fan and connect it to my portable power pack and let that sit and see if it brings any better results.

errrr I am sort of lost what was going on there....... What was doing the videoing? and what was scooting about.... I hope that wasn't the Anafi in hoover mode :)

Reactions: KentA
??? I am assuming the Anafi was doing the filming. If so not to bad for a 300 gram drone. The small drone the subject was flying looked like a toy drone?

??? I am assuming the Anafi was doing the filming. If so not to bad for a 300 gram drone. The small drone the subject was flying looked like a toy drone?
That was the Anafi filming my son and his Syma X1. Poor tracking was all me. The X1 did not survive the day.

I for one, wish Parrot displayed the number of locked in sats versus a bar graph.
Having said that, I have found that once the GPS signal goes green, give it another 20 seconds or so for more sats to lock in.
Your return to home point will be far more accurate as well.

Anafi is very locked in after that.

Well had the inaugral flight this afternoon, was pretty windy, so wasn't expecting too much. After letting it sit for a while to ensure good GPS could, did the auto lunch and let it hover there, took it up to 25m and again left it there, and was very surprised how stable it was considering the gusting wind, very impressed indeed.

Only issue I have is with the RTH, which seems to be non-existent which would indicate "User Error".

Craft was about 40m out, and approx15m up. Hit the RTH, and it just dropped where it was to about 2m in height. No attempt to rise to the set 20m and back to where it took off..... and nope I didnt move.

Going to have to charge the battery and try again..... Anyone got any advice on that. I did try it a couple of times, using both the button on the controller, and the button on the screen.?

Is GPS enabled on your phone or tablet? That's where the unit gets its return to home data if I recall correctly

Well had the inaugral flight this afternoon, was pretty windy, so wasn't expecting too much. After letting it sit for a while to ensure good GPS could, did the auto lunch and let it hover there, took it up to 25m and again left it there, and was very surprised how stable it was considering the gusting wind, very impressed indeed.

Only issue I have is with the RTH, which seems to be non-existent which would indicate "User Error".

Craft was about 40m out, and approx15m up. Hit the RTH, and it just dropped where it was to about 2m in height. No attempt to rise to the set 20m and back to where it took off..... and nope I didnt move.

Going to have to charge the battery and try again..... Anyone got any advice on that. I did try it a couple of times, using both the button on the controller, and the button on the screen.?

Are you sure you hit the RTH button? Could it have been the land button by mistake? Just a thought

I was going to make an entire post about this and still may. As far as I can tell there is a minimum distance before RTH really works. I have noticed exactly what you have but I am not sure what the distance was. I was wondering if the programming logic was such that if the drone was less than a certain distance away either it was in a circular distance of error or that if you needed RTH at 40 feet your needs are beyond that which the software can provide.

I was planning on doing a series of test flights to test this for the actual distance tonight but the weather is uncooperative. I do know that once I do exceed the required distance RTH has worked quite well.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut