Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gimbal calibration - Problem

LiamJA

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve set up my drone and everything was “green” apart from the gimbal calibration, I’ve set it on numerous level surfaces and clicked the automatic calibration however it keeps staying red. I’ve had the drone out and the footage is good and I’m happy with the results. I’m just wondering if anyone has had issues with the calibration and advice on what I should do ? If I keep using it whilst it’s “red” is that dangerous ?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I’ve set up my drone and everything was “green” apart from the gimbal calibration, I’ve set it on numerous level surfaces and clicked the automatic calibration however it keeps staying red. I’ve had the drone out and the footage is good and I’m happy with the results. I’m just wondering if anyone has had issues with the calibration and advice on what I should do ? If I keep using it whilst it’s “red” is that dangerous ?

Thanks
Are you trying to calibrate it with a ND filter on it? Try taking it off if you are & see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, try calibrating without the lens cap in place; an acquaintance has to remove his lens cap for the gimbal to calibrate successfully when I don't!

Reactions: ANAFI 1959
Are you trying to calibrate it with a ND filter on it? Try taking it off if you are & see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, try calibrating without the lens cap in place; an acquaintance has to remove his lens cap for the gimbal to calibrate successfully when I don't!

I don’t have any filters or nor the lens cap, I’ve turned it off then back on and it’s all green now. Are you meant to calibrate with the lens cap on ?
Thank you for your help

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
I don’t have any filters or nor the lens cap, I’ve turned it off then back on and it’s all green now. Are you meant to calibrate with the lens cap on ?
Thank you for your help
I'm glad it's working for you now. I calibrate with the lens cap on, my friend has do his without! We have absolutely no idea why there's any difference. :unsure:

Not sure why you would want to calibrate with the lens cap on Krusty? My thinking is if you are not using a ND filter then the calibration should be done with the cap off. I would think the extra weight could put it off a tad you you finally remove it. Now if you have a ND filter on yes I can see doing it with the benefits but not other wise.
Perhaps I am missing something here?

Not sure why you would want to calibrate with the lens cap on Krusty? My thinking is if you are not using a ND filter then the calibration should be done with the cap off. I would think the extra weight could put it off a tad you you finally remove it. Now if you have a ND filter on yes I can see doing it with the benefits but not other wise.
Perhaps I am missing something here?
For some reason my gimbal calibrates level & straight ahead with the lens cap on, but ever so slightly askew with it off! My friend however, has the opposite experience. I have not gone through the re-leveling calibration yet, I thought I would leave that alone until mine is repaired. This has always been the case for me, with slightly wonky levels, we are talking about .3 degrees lower on the right & about the same drop forwards, from the moment I got it out of the box. Possibly something happened during shipping or it wasn't quite correctly calibrated at the factory?

Hi guys,

Thanks
I've had the same issue, the camera works fine and all but I can't seem to be able to clear the error message.

My problem. calibration gimbal with yellow signal. The gimbal is lock on the right. By hands it moves but makes friction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-100621.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-100621.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20191118-100537.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-100537.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 21
Power off the Anafi, and using your hands move the gimbal X and Y axis. You may have some grit in the servos, keep doings this until it feels smooth.

You could also try spraying in some silicon lubrication.

If it is very stiff then maybe one of the servo bearings has failed.

The new firmware expects to see a perfectly smooth range of movements, any notching will cause it to fail and show up as yellow in FF6.

Reactions: Moonfly
I sent email to Parrot. They asked for proof of purchase and the serial number Anafi. By hand i can move the gimbal. It is free up to a certain point, Then it makes friction. I guess it's always been this way since i bought it. I don' t want to fly with a signal that something is wrong. With latest firmware.

The gimbal touch here! It's freezes and struggles. There's a plaque.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-153505_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-153505_1.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 62
The drone has not fallen and never bumped. Where i marked on the photo the gimbal cover touches. I move the gimbal with my hand, the gimbal touches, and i have to force it. Looks like the gimbal cover is not fitted properly, there's a screw. I am tempted to do something but i would do damage. I can't attach a video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-153505_2.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-153505_2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 50
If you undo the Torx T4 screw (if you have the correct driver) that piece will slide, but that piece does not look like it is out of place, it is like the whole piece (left/right rotation) arm has been pushed in towards the drone body.

If you undo the Torx T4 screw (if you have the correct driver) that piece will slide, but that piece does not look like it is out of place, it is like the whole piece (left/right rotation) arm has been pushed in towards the drone body.

can you attach a photo of your Anafi's gimbal? I'm curious. I mean, isn't my gimbal built well? Is it to close to the drone's body?

Last edited:
I read somewhere that filters could be placed on the camera before startup. The initial gimbal startup test sequence can lead to some slight contacts of the camera with the frame on some Anafi (manufacture tolerances/clearances... ). Add a filter on the lens and the risk in contact is increased.

So to prevent that, there was a trick : you can set the camera to aim ‘above the horizon’ in the calibration menu (I only found this possibility in the Android version, the iOS version does only have the horizon angle setting). With this option, the startup sequence could avoid a ‘touch of the frame’ for some Anafi. (For me 50% of the startup sequences did not succeed with a filter)

Another trick used by some filters manufacturers was to make a ‘notch’ in the filters ‘crown’ to avoid this excess material that comes in contact with the frame.

In the new startup sequence, after the firmware update, I have the feeling the Anafi increased its range of motion... and I remarked more contacts with the frame (and sometime black-with-snow image on the live image feedback of the phone). This new startup sequence may also be more ‘sensitive’ to friction (but I feel it is more a problem of ‘range of motion’ capability like ‘did it reach +110°/-90° angle)

so I reset everything (Partot’s procedure), and did not change the setting of the horizontal setting of the camera (above or under but parallel to the horizon) and did not have any problem yet with the image feedback or any error at startup.

The tensions induced by this new startup sequence on the camera connectors that are not ‘tightly’ attached to the board and the manufacture tolerances and the ‘grits’ due to screws positions or ‘pricks’ left by the injection molding process may also be a part of the problem...

This above diagnostic may not be really precise or true (I just a customer) but it can help sometimes...

Yesssss !!! Ho risolto !!! Ottimo Anafipilot, grazie mille per il supporto. Ho smontato quel pezzo di coperchio con la vite, ho dato una limatura leggera e ora il gimbal è perfetto. Ha fatto la calibrazione e non ho più il segnale giallo sull'applicazione FF6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-182726_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20191119-182726_1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20191119-182713.jpg
    Screenshot_20191119-182713.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 32
I read somewhere that filters could be placed on the camera before startup. The initial gimbal startup test sequence can lead to some slight contacts of the camera with the frame on some Anafi (manufacture tolerances/clearances... ). Add a filter on the lens and the risk in contact is increased.
I have never been able to place a filter before startup. I always have to wait for the gimbal initialization to finish before placing the filter or I get the "something obstructing lens" message.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manon.s07