Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gimbal not initiating - crash help!

ketrab

Reaction score
Anafi dropped due to some battery malfunction. After the crash I have two issues:

1)gimbal does not want to initiate - see link below. I've tried to reconnect(reseat) cables from the motherboard side as well as on the camera site still the same issue - I could see the video but gimbal won't do its full initialization. Thoughts on what else I could try to do?

edit. one more cable i haven't tried yet is the one mentioned in this thread. What is that one do?

edit2. This seems to be a gimbal connection to the second board (smaller). I've reseat it on both ends but still same issue.

2)i've noticed that anafi stopped recognizing sd cards. Tried two different ones but nothing. Is there any connection that I could try to reseat or do i have a bigger problem?

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Last edited:
Well with the gimbal, it looks like you mechanical resistance/interference. Manipulate the gimbal by hand and check for notching, resistance, and that everything is moving freely.

With the SD card, it is possible you have ripped the ribbon going from the SD connector to motherboard, easily done!

Well with the gimbal, it looks like you mechanical resistance/interference. Manipulate the gimbal by hand and check for notching, resistance, and that everything is moving freely.

With the SD card, it is possible you have ripped the ribbon going from the SD connector to motherboard, easily done!
Thanks for reply. I've tried manually moving the gimbal all directions and I don't feel/see resistance. I'm not sure what to do on this one.

For sd i didn't check the ribbon yet since it's on the other side so I'll check that later.

When it does the initial dance, does it bounce at the ends of travel - gimbal dance is extremely sensitive if it cannot get to the end stops of each axis it will cause an error, you may have slight bend in the arms causing failure to reach the ends (especially the vertical travel).

One thing you can try is removing the 4 T6 screws on the camera housing and removing the white housing and let the drone try the gimbal dance - this may confirm if it is mechanical in nature.

GIMBAL. Check this "T" piece underneath. If the screw is not tighten the piece can slightly rotate leading to a blocking movement and not let the initialization of the camera to complete.
76f624e6a85d500db5af9e97b585f69f.jpg
f7ed54df3975a9b5a08d06224f382787.jpg

Sent from1+7T using Tapatalk Pro

When it does the initial dance, does it bounce at the ends of travel - gimbal dance is extremely sensitive if it cannot get to the end stops of each axis it will cause an error, you may have slight bend in the arms causing failure to reach the ends (especially the vertical travel).

One thing you can try is removing the 4 T6 screws on the camera housing and removing the white housing and let the drone try the gimbal dance - this may confirm if it is mechanical in nature.
"you may have slight bend in the arms causing failure to reach the ends (especially the vertical travel)." - can you show me where exactly? I've manually checked/moved the gimbal and couldn't fee the pressure anywhere.

"One thing you can try is removing the 4 T6 screws on the camera housing and removing the white housing and let the drone try the gimbal dance" -
are you talking about the "white" protection for the camera? If yes I did removed it and tried the initialization with the exact same outcome.

Thank you again for assistance!

Last edited:
GIMBAL. Check this "T" piece underneath. If the screw is not tighten the piece can slightly rotate leading to a blocking movement and not let the initialization of the camera to complete.
76f624e6a85d500db5af9e97b585f69f.jpg
f7ed54df3975a9b5a08d06224f382787.jpg

Sent from1+7T using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting. I've actually did removed this cover as I was trying to trace the cable to the camera to try reseat it. I'll check the spacing again. Not sure if you've seen my video but the camera does actually rotate that direction (left and right). I forgot what was the full initialization but I believe it was going up and down as well but not anymore.

Here is little more context to my store. Seems that the drone flipped and got hit upside down destroying the gps plate and seems like the camera white cover received a hit as well.
PXL_20201022_233220509.jpg

More details on the camera and gimbal (I don't see anything blocking the movement)
PXL_20201025_152021335.jpg
PXL_20201025_152035310.jpg

There is still one more connected that I didn't check because it requires the front camera to be removed (camera tilt - maybe got loose). This was mentioned in the different thread in case someone wants to follow. problem gimbal Anafi

I guess I'll have to check that as well before claiming motherboard issue?! Just seems like the 180% camera tilt is not working when the initialization happens. Not sure what would cause it (below picture credit from - problem gimbal Anafi)
1A3C125F-47E7-4964-BBDC-20E8A643D767.jpeg

Last edited:
Reached out to parrot as well since the crush was definatelly due to malfunction of the device. Love their one liners when providing all the details: "Kindly note that your drone had passed the one year warranty."

Quick update.

I've reseatted anything possible.

1. Thre connectors on the camera - one on the side, one inside the "rotor assembly aka camera tilt or T piece) and lastly one that feeds from camera to motor board.
  2. two connectors on the main board - one that feeds to the motor board and one that feeds the camera.
Verified any obstructions on the gimbal and can't find any.

The issue persist where it seems like the gimbal does not want to do the *180 (up/down) rotation during the initialization. See below:

At this point what are you thoughts that could be wrong with the unit? In case of h/w replacement I've heard there are some *pairing involved?!

When the Anafi is powered up is there resistance if you try to move the canera in the up/down direction? If do then that motor is working and getting power and signal from the controller board.

When the Anafi is powered up is there resistance if you try to move the canera in the up/down direction? If do then that motor is working and getting power and signal from the controller board.
Good point.

I kinda feel the same resistance when the drone is on/off. There is resistance but honestly I can distinguish if there is a difference. If you have the same drone are you able to definatelly say that there is a resistance in your opinion or that is "very" close?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut