Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help with camera visuals in FreeFlight App

isabetabug

Reaction score
Hi All,

New pilot here. I'm guessing that while flying Anafi, it is possible to see what the camera sees in the app on my phone?
All I see is static right now when I fly, making it hard to guess what the camera sees if the drone goes a certain distance from myself. I looked around the manual and I can't seem to find what I'm missing.

Thank you.

Android phones sometimes will not show video feed back until you unplug the cable and plug it back in. If that is not your problem try deleting the App and reinstalling it.
So knowing what phone you are using would help us help you better.

Reactions: isabetabug
You definitely need to see the camera feed while flying. When you open up your controller, and you have your phone connected to it, the light should be steady blue, which means that the controller is connected to the drone. After opening up FreeFlight, and tapping FLY, you should already see the feed from the camera, and move the gimbal up and down, you don't even need to take off for that.
That's how I usually set up roughly the camera for the lighting conditions, so I have to waste less time when I'm in the air.
Sometimes it drops the video feed, but you can still control the drone with the controller. The solution is unplugging the cable from the phone, then plugging it back in again after couple seconds. If that doesn't help, then close the app (remove from recents too), then unplug the cable, then replug the cable and open up the app again.
You should not even take off with the drone, if you don't have steady camera feed.

Hmm ok thank you, everyone! So it should be automatic is what I am understanding.
I am getting a steady blue on the controller. I am using iPhone XS. Even when using the controller, I'm finding that I need to connect with the drone with the WiFi on the phone...

I will try do a reset on everything in the morning and see if that happens to help. I will also try dropping the video resolution to see if that makes a difference.

"static"? What do you see while flying?
Normally you should see in your app, what Anafi's camera sees.

Yes, the screen section in FreeFlight, where the camera feed should be, is dark (dark static).
Thanks for confirming that I should be seeing what Anafi's camera sees.
*sigh* hopefully a reset of everything will shake it up and fix this issue.

Hmm ok thank you, everyone! So it should be automatic is what I am understanding.
I am getting a steady blue on the controller. I am using iPhone XS. Even when using the controller, I'm finding that I need to connect with the drone with the WiFi on the phone...

I will try do a reset on everything in the morning and see if that happens to help. I will also try dropping the video resolution to see if that makes a difference.
No, don't connect Anafi to your phone with Wifi using the controller!
Best way to fly with controller & smartphone is to switch phone to airplane mode and connect phone and controller with USB cable.
If you cannot connect in this way: try another cable!

Yes, the screen section in FreeFlight, where the camera feed should be, is dark (dark static).
Thanks for confirming that I should be seeing what Anafi's camera sees.
*sigh* hopefully a reset of everything will shake it up and fix this issue.
Do you use a Samsung device? Many of Samsung users have the same problem. I guess "static" screen is like a TV screen without antenna signals.
If there's nothing shown on the screen, force close the app and run again.

Ok thanks! I wonder if it is a device problem then. I'm going to have to call Apple to chat with their support team. I have the latest iphone (iphone xs) so connectivity should not be an issue, yet I have problems connecting my iphone with my computer (I have tried with multiple different cables too)! The same is probably happening with the controller.

Ok thanks! I wonder if it is a device problem then. I'm going to have to call Apple to chat with their support team. I have the latest iphone (iphone xs) so connectivity should not be an issue, yet I have problems connecting my iphone with my computer (I have tried with multiple different cables too)! The same is probably happening with the controller.
Do you have "USB Restricted Mode" on?

OK, To make this as simple as possible, If you are using the controller to fly the Anafi, you do not need a WIFI connection to the drone ( all communication to the drone is done through the controller) and the phone, which is connected to the controller with a cable, is basically just an interface/view screen. The controller itself does not have any GPS that is handled by the drone and phone so location/GPS on the phone/device should be left on.
It is recommended that you put the phone in "airplane mode" (WIFI off) to eliminate any interference from a WIFI signal from the phone affecting that controller to drone link............
Now, if you are controlling the Anafi with just the phone..... you will need to have the WIFI on (the phone) and then connect to the Anafi's WIFI ( the password should be on a label in the Anafi's case)just as if you were connecting to a WIFI hotspot somewhere or at home. It does NOT need internet access, just a wireless connection to the drone, so disregard anything that is advising about no internet connection.

When you select " Go Fly" the video from the camera should be there!
I am positive you are missing something that lets the phone "communicate" over USB...
As above, check the settings on your Iphone since you mentioned not being able to access the phone from a computer either.
I am sure there is some info regarding USB access with that phone on the web somewhere.

Update:
My iphone was the issue.

I used my fiance's iphone 8 and everything worked perfectly. I was able to connect with the drone through the controller and see what the camera saw.

My iphone xs was not connecting through the USB properly. I also know this because I was able to connect my phone to the drone and camera when I wasn't using the USB connection (the controller-less connection).

Conclusion: My phone has a USB connection problem because it is unable to connect through USB with my computer or the drone. Gotta make a visit to the Apple store.

Thank you, everyone, for your help, thoughts, and confirmation that I should indeed be able to view the camera when flying!!

.... Gotta make a visit to the Apple store.....
I'm sure they'll be happy to take your money!! And what you get might even work with FF6!
^*(*(%&^* computers and smartphones. :mad:

I'm only just beginning to realize how lucky I am that my wife's 4 year old Nexus 6p I inherited actually does work!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut