Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is it safe to fly the Anafi Parrotb off a cliff?

Pretty Parrot

Reaction score
I say this as I want to film an object just over a cliff. Once it flew over the cliff, would the Anafi realise it was now higher than it should be & lower itself towards the bottom, or would it remain at the same height, even though it is now 100 yards high instead of 20?

It will stay at the hight where it was before flying over the cliff's edge.
But you should still be able to see the drone (direct line of sight between you/SC3 and the drone).

Reactions: Pretty Parrot
The drone's "max altitude" is counted from the take off location. The height displayed in the app is counted from that location too and not from the ground below.
However it's not unusual to have stronger winds once you fly over the cliff's edge, so you might not notice the wind when you're on the cliff, only when you're over it.

Reactions: Pretty Parrot
Thank you both. I would never let the drone out of my sight, too expensive :). In the past I lived at the seaside & used to watch the seagulls hovering from, presumably, the updraft at the cliff.

Would the Parrot assume that ground level was still the level of the ground on the cliff and therefore be unable to descend lower than that when flown off the cliff?

No, the belly sensor would not see anything, so you could descend as far as you want. If you did a RTH, the Anafi would rise to the set RTH altitude before heading back to the home point.

At least that is what I've learned from various videos. I will have to try it off a ridge.

I am sure it would be fine, as long as you maintain line-of-sight so you don't lose signal. You can fly lower than the take-off height. Yesterday I was practising orbiting a tree in a field at about waist height but the height indicator said -1 metre because it was lower than the take-off height. I have flown down a high sea cliff with my DJI Spark and that handles height in the same way. I don't remember looking at the height indicator, I had enough to be concentrating on! Flying over then down a cliff is exhilarating. Go for it! I certainly plan on flying over and down cliffs in the future. If a drone is below its take-off height and the signal is lost it will rise up to the RTH height before returning home, but you would almost certainly be wanting to cancel that as soon as you regain control so you can carry on with what you planned to do.

I don't think you can do a flight plan with a negative altitude, at least not without editing the files. That kind of experiment is for people who want to make everything a challenge. Standing on top of a cliff and flying a drone is an amazing experience and the footage is usually pretty awesome. Having the ability to look up as well as down means that my Spark will not be my travel drone going forward, it has to be the Anafi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
falcon_up