Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mavic2 Waypoint 2.0 vs Anafi Flight Plan

Nice to see the Anafi pulling above its weight!

Reactions: Ross
Interesting quirk with the Anafi having the brainfart & not transitioning between POI's smoothly, other than that it's head & shoulders above the DJI offering! I'm glad I went with the Anafi over the Mavic Pro for so many reasons. I have a feeling that Parrot will sort the transition between POI's out with a firmware update.

I really like the videos from Ethan Mitchell... he was one of the reason I went with the anafi over the mavic, tho I have to say I am liking the dynamic range ppl are getting out of the mavic pro 2, tho it does cost more than 2x of the anafi.

I really like the videos from Ethan Mitchell... he was one of the reason I went with the anafi over the mavic, tho I have to say I am liking the dynamic range ppl are getting out of the mavic pro 2, tho it does cost more than 2x of the anafi.
You'll find that the really good examples shared around of impressive dynamic range are from those who know how to use Luminosity Masking to edit specific parts of their images in very specific ways. They spend hours on an image, selecting 3 different types of shadow sections, treating them each differently for sharpening & noise reduction. You really need unbiased comparisons of RAW images taken straight out of cameras to tell the truth of it, as comparing jpegs is not a truthful thing either! jpegs have the companies selected treatments applied to them, that's why some people love the Leica look, or the Pentax look, or the Nikon, or Sony look, because of the way the jpegs are treated in camera, with the different types of sharpening, noise reduction, vibrancy, saturation, contrast, etc... that each maker applies.

If you want to honestly compare apples to apples, compare RAW files untreated, straight out of camera. Then you will truthfully see the differences of the sensor & lens in combination, but you need to test under the same light conditions too. That's hard unless you do it in a studio or flying both UAV's at the same time & space!

The other thing to remember is that the Mavic Pro 2 has the ability to combine 9 images together artificially enlarging the dynamic range!

Last edited:
I just discovered that we can claim the Anafi has a 1" sensor, just as DJI do for the Mavic Pro 2! :ROFLMAO:

Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularisation of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes had a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size was a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.
Sizes are often expressed as a fraction of an inch, with a one in the numerator, and a decimal number in the denominator. For example, 1/2.5 converts to 2/5 as a simple fraction, or 0.4 as a decimal number. This "inch" system brings a result approximately 1.5 times the length of the diagonal of the sensor. This "optical format" measure goes back to the way image sizes of video cameras used until the late 1980s were expressed, referring to the outside diameter of the glass envelope of the video camera tube. David Pogue of The New York Times states that "the actual sensor size is much smaller than what the camera companies publish – about one-third smaller." For example, a camera advertising a 1/2.7" sensor does not have a sensor with a diagonal of 0.37"; instead, the diagonal is closer to 0.26". Instead of "formats", these sensor sizes are often called types, as in "1/2-inch-type CCD."

Last edited:
So the anafi and mavic pro 2 both have the same size sensor?
Pretty dang close! There's more trickery applied to the M2P, which is why it also loses some sharpness & colour accuracy when RAW (DNG) images are analysed. The M2P is 1/2.3" & the Anafi is ever so slightly smaller at 1/2.4". Compared to my full frame camera (the big orange bit), it's tiny, here's a visual comparison of just how small they are.

Up until this afternoon, I actually thought that DJI had somehow managed to squeeze a sensor that was 1" across its diagonal into the M2P! I wonder how many others thought the same thing? :unsure:

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Efliernz
Everything i read says it has a 1" sensor so would sit with the P4 (have read it shares the same sensor as the P4), while the anafi sensor is just a shade smaller than the original mavic pro

Sensor-Comparison-1.jpg

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Everything i read says it has a 1" sensor so would sit with the P4 (have read it shares the same sensor as the P4), while the anafi sensor is just a shade smaller than the original mavic pro

Sensor-Comparison-1.jpg
Unfortunately, 1" is not actually 1". It's a hangover from old video capture technology that allows you to claim 1", when it's actually a 1" tube equivalent which is actually 16mm across the diagonal of the sensor. :unsure:

This is from my first quote above to explain it better:
The common 1" circular video camera tubes had a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size was a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.

There may well be a lot of other folks looking at buying a drone that are coming from a photography background, where the diagonal measurements offered for the sensor is actually what you are getting, unlike this sneakiness being used here!

Last edited:
Reactions: Efliernz
He goes on a bit... very repetitive but yes, I watched it all last night (while watching cricket to be honest...).
I very nearly got the P4P instead of the Anafi but that smaller machine and the ease of camera programming/manual control suited me.

Still no regrets... the only frustrations in quality I suspect is due to me not getting settings/filters right yet!

He goes on a bit... very repetitive but yes, I watched it all last night (while watching cricket to be honest...).
I very nearly got the P4P instead of the Anafi but that smaller machine and the ease of camera programming/manual control suited me.

Still no regrets... the only frustrations in quality I suspect is due to me not getting settings/filters right yet!
I was so close to getting the M2P, but the more I investigated the Anafi, the better she looked in many regards!

I'm the same, still working out my fine-tunings of settings for different types of capture, but I have to say, overall I am suitably impressed. 24 fps with a 1/50 shutter speed with whichever ND filter is needed to achieve that is doing the job superbly for me! I will be interested to see the results once I test the ND filters with the large ColorChecker card, when it gets here. In the mean time, I can perform IQ loss tests with them all, I guess. My initial observations of them is quite impressive for IQ & minimal colour cast. The Y&C ND filters have lifted their game since all of the 2017 reviews you can find of them. Being able to source the more recent versions could be troublesome though. I got the set of 5 for AU$47 on ebay. ND 8, 16, 32, Variable 64 & UV.

I got some cheap and nasty filters... but I suspect I'll get some better ones now that I can see how good this could be
I was speaking to somebody high up at Formatt-Hitech about why they hadn't ventured into drone ND filters not that long ago & apparently they worked with DJI & then "something" happened on DJI's behalf which led to it collapsing! I was informed that the really exciting ND filter research & application is actually in-camera at the sensor. Panasonic & a couple of other camera makers are playing with sensors that have ND filter treatments applied in-camera at the sensor, so there is no image degradation at all, no time needed to work out your exposure length, change the filters as the sun is setting at a frantic rate, etc... I say "bring it on buddy!" :love:

Reactions: AaronB and Efliernz
I love the sound of that... My A7riii is 12 months old now... seize the opportunity to upgrade :)

Don't tell the Mrs!!!

Technology should be there to electronically alter the grey in a glass filter. We've been playing with that for year in telco optics... (my main job)
The good thing is that you can upgrade your camera without them noticing! It's when you start adding more & more lenses that they tend to notice! Speaking from experience & the wrath that was incurred afterwards here! :giggle:

The good thing is that you can upgrade your camera without them noticing! It's when you start adding more & more lenses that they tend to notice! Speaking from experience & the wrath that was incurred afterwards here! :giggle:

... she hasn't noticed the new 16-35 that accidentally turned up at my work last week!!! I do the business + books and she has no idea :whistle:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut