Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Max speed, horizontal and vertical (diagonal), if both sticks on full, what is it?

Ana789

Reaction score
It seems to me that there is a significant difference, in both directions, in case I am flying straight forward and try to get the Anafi quickly high as possible, in the same time.
I have not tried it, lets say flying 30 secs in one direction, after 30 sec up, after 30 secs horizontal AND vertical, to find that out.
Has anyone else done that yet, perhaps?

Really of interest would be: How quick can I fly forward, in case I try to climb with full speed.
Or the other thing, how much is the possible height gain, if pushing the bird to full speed.
Just thinking of some flight plan, but there is is this hillslope I have to look for. ;-)

It seems to me that there is a significant difference, in both directions, in case I am flying straight forward and try to get the Anafi quickly high as possible, in the same time.
I have not tried it, lets say flying 30 secs in one direction, after 30 sec up, after 30 secs horizontal AND vertical, to find that out.

Really of interest would be: How quick can I fly forward, in case I try to climb with full speed.
Or the other thing, how much is the possible height gain, if pushing the bird to full speed.
Just thinking of some flight plan, but there is is this hillslope I have to look for. ;-)
Yes, I experienced that. On a large field, flying low, I accelerated to maximum speed and wanted maximum climb, but only climbed slowly. If I slowed down the progress, it rose faster.
This is logical: There is a maximum tilt in all modes. At maximum inclination the rotors are not angled upwards. If the drone is horizontal, the rotors will pull the drone upright.
I don't know a number of data because I didn't watch it at that time and I deleted the flight log.Max speed.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that, thanks.
What I would like to know, but probably will have to test that myself, is:
Is there a "max factor", that I can calculate with ?
15, xx m/s is the said max forward speed
Equals that perhaps 12m/s forward, 3 m/s vertical, combined also 15 m/s?

Or because if vertical AND horizontal flight is using more power, perhaps it is not 15 m/s combined, but 13 m/s (or 12, ...)?
10 →/ 3 ↑ (or even 9/3, 8.5/3.5?)

Also perhaps already just the declination settings (as seen in your picture) can have a serious impact here!
As more we change the setting to "hornet" mode, as less the bird is be able, to gain altitude quick!

That is, somehow, a really interesting thing to look for.

As also an DJI Pilot, i find it anyway "funny", that the way from local position to the first waypoint is a straight flight from starting TO wp1.
On my first flightplan I was not expecting anything like that, my bird just missed a tree by a meter or such o_O
Since my DJI's making that a square, first to the altitude of wp1, after over to wp1, I kind of thought (entirely my fault, I know) this will happen with the Anafi, too.

I did some trials today with 3 m/s max. vertical speed in the settings... First issue is that you'd need to fly in a no wind situation, as Anafi's speed is related to GPS position. Then the real time screen gives a value which doesn't vary a lot from horizontal full speed forward, to full forward and full upwards.

Looking at the log attached, the maximum speed of 12 m/s is reached on horizontal course, but I see speeds of 11 m/s while climbing full rate, and more surprising, the maximum climb rate is reached with full speed forward, not when climbing vertically ! Red circles are full speed climbs, nearly twice as steep as the vertical ascension circled in orange.

You need to set the maximum vertical speed to 4 m/s and log shorter flights with longer climbs to make it clearer than the graph here...

Back to Flight Plan, I'd say be careful to stay well below limits, speed and time ! I noticed that real flights could be minutes longer than the time indicated in the table in the app ! There is the wind factor, also the climb rate is most likely not included in the speed chosen in segments between waypoints, etc...

Attachments

• climb_rate.gif
    climb_rate.gif
    363.1 KB · Views: 7
I did some trials today with 3 m/s max. vertical speed in the settings... First issue is that you'd need to fly in a no wind situation, as Anafi's speed is related to GPS position. Then the real time screen gives a value which doesn't vary a lot from horizontal full speed forward, to full forward and full upwards.

Looking at the log attached, the maximum speed of 12 m/s is reached on horizontal course, but I see speeds of 11 m/s while climbing full rate, and more surprising, the maximum climb rate is reached with full speed forward, not when climbing vertically ! Red circles are full speed climbs, nearly twice as steep as the vertical ascension circled in orange.

You need to set the maximum vertical speed to 4 m/s and log shorter flights with longer climbs to make it clearer than the graph here...

Back to Flight Plan, I'd say be careful to stay well below limits, speed and time ! I noticed that real flights could be minutes longer than the time indicated in the table in the app ! There is the wind factor, also the climb rate is most likely not included in the speed chosen in segments between waypoints, etc...
Horizontal speed and vertical speed are not shown separately in this table, so no conclusions can be drawn from this.

Horizontal speed and vertical speed are not shown separately in this table, so no conclusions can be drawn from this.

Read my post again, I specifically tried both manoeuvers, and the table shows the steeper slope / higher gain in altitude when the drone is full speed forward and ascending (nearly twice quicker), than only ascending full gas.

Apparently the Anafi acts (in this example) like an airplane, if you fly flull speed and pull the stick, it will climb much faster - initially at least - than if you ascend vertically only (provided it has enough power to lift its own weight, of course, like acrobatic or jet planes).

I know, probably all of us know this phenomenon on descends: You move the bird, it seems to sink quicker.
Thanks for the input

It looks even more, that I have to fly tests myself.
And probably more for 60 secs, not just 30.
And covering that with pictures on start level and highest point after 60 secs
To prove distance and altitude reached on each attempt
Also more as just one of each, different directions (b/c wind?)

Will see.
Still more input would be nice!

Vertical up 4 m/s, it goes up a few kilometres but at full throttle after 800 meters it will say that the motors are surging power and it will start a 10 minutes countdown for automatic RTH. On race mode vertical descent is 2m/s, for some reason in cinema mode it descends faster verticaly at 2.5 m/s.
If you push both up and forward full it wont take the climb you would see at a DJI Phantom 4.... For some reasons you have to push just half way one of them.

Yes, from my observations maximum vertical speed is apparently 4 m/s, no matter if you move forward or not.

The trick is that the max. vertical speed selected in the settings is only valid when the drone ascends vertically. If you move forward fast enough, you can reach the 4 m/s vertical speed upwards even with slower settings, and that's the reason why in my first trial the Anafi moves up faster with both sticks pushed forward, than with only the left stick pushed fully forward (which is a bit counter intuitive).

In Flight Plan, the speed selected for a segment between waypoints may not necessarily be the speed on the ground, but takes into account the vertical vector. Maybe that's the reason why the real flights (from my experience at least) are often longer than the time indicated in the FP table, but there may be other explanations...

I also had weird jerky motor activity for the 1st time with both joysticks fully forward and down...

"I also had weird jerky motor activity for the 1st time with both joysticks fully forward and down.. "

I have to second that, weird in the way that the bird backwards was shaking its "head" from one side to the other, so no good video came out of it, any longer!
And because of right to left moves, I don't think it 's the stick. Aside it still flew straight backwards!

"I also had weird jerky motor activity for the 1st time with both joysticks fully forward and down.. "

I have to second that, weird in the way that the bird backwards was shaking its "head" from one side to the other, so no good video came out of it, any longer!
And because of right to left moves, I don't think it 's the stick. Aside it still flew straight backwards!

I didn't try it backwards, yet... it only happened one time, and watching the video, it looks like the gimball and stabilization did there job correctly for now.

About my maximum vertical speed trial today, here is the Free Flight graph, as you can see the vertical speed (blue slopes) is exactly the same in any cases (1st climb with vertical ascension only, 2nd full forward and up, 3rd full speed forward reached, then both full forward and up, exactly the same climb rate in all cases, 4 m/s. Descent looks only slightly faster with forward move in the 2nd and 3rd example, vs 1st vertical).

climb_rate.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nachiketh