Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My Drone Flew Into A Hedge!!!

ROBANAFI

Reaction score

Not sure what happened here. at 32 seconds the drone drifts into the ground which it shouldnt do and then it starts to go in circles! i thought i managed to get control but then it shot off right into a hedge! luckily nothing is damaged :)

It looks like there was definitely issue near the end of the flight. it looks like it lost GPS?

View attachment 1656

It looks like there was definitely issue near the end of the flight. it looks like it lost GPS?
Is that screenshot the end of the log? I ask because the lack of GPS only occurs in about the last 15 seconds of the screenshot where the velocities are zero and the Anafi may be hanging upside down in the hedge hence no GPS signal. Do you have a screenshot of the part of the flight where the Anafi was yawing by itself?

Could you post the. json so that other members of the forum can have a look at it and perhaps spread more light on the problem.

Last edited:
It seems to go off at a hell of a speed in the final few seconds - must have been quite scary. Glad to hear it had a fairly 'soft' landing as obviously could have ended far worse.

Although I know people use forums especially to report problems rather than successes, I'm getting worried the more I read about the unexplained behaviours of the Anafi! Mine has only once done something unexplained and luckily it survived the landing without any damage - but could have been a different story!

Is that screenshot the end of the log? I ask because the lack of GPS only occurs in about the last 15 seconds of the screenshot where the velocities are zero and the Anafi may be hanging upside down in the hedge hence no GPS signal. Do you have a screenshot of the part of the flight where the Anafi was yawing by itself?

Could you post the. json so that other members of the forum can have a look at it and perhaps spread more light on the problem.

Yes it was the end of the log. i've attached the .json let me know if you have any trouble downloading it. i did notice there was a good 40 seconds when i had no GPS near the beginning of the flight! Hopefully you can find a reason for the crash!

Was your device in airplane mode?

I'll be honest not this time but i usually do ?

Yes it was the end of the log. i've attached the .json let me know if you have any trouble downloading it. i did notice there was a good 40 seconds when i had no GPS near the beginning of the flight! Hopefully you can find a reason for the crash!

Thanks for the .json file. I have had a quick look at the file and the screendump that you posted fron ShowAnafiLog appears to be the result of the crash with the hedge and not the cause of the problem. You do lose GPS sats for about 32 seconds at 06:14:11 but the Anafi appears to be hovering during this time with no problem. I did notice that the roll and pitch angles during the flight spiked in places to a roll angle of +or- 30 Degrees and a pitch angle of +or- 40 Degrees. There is a slight correlation between the roll and pitch events but not always. Did you notice any of these movements or did you make them yourself? They might only be visible by line of sight as the gimbal would tend to cancel them out on the video.

Other than that there does not appear to be anything that I can spot that would indicate a cause of failure. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Just a thought but were all of the legs folded out correctly when you got to it in the hedge? If one was not locked correctly it could have folded slightly in flight which could cause problems.

Not sure what happened here. at 32 seconds the drone drifts into the ground which it shouldnt do and then it starts to go in circles! i thought i managed to get control but then it shot off right into a hedge! luckily nothing is damaged :)

What you have experienced is what people call "The Toilet Bowl Effect" which is a dangerous condition to try and fly in. It happens because of a incorrectly calibrated compass. Therefore, you should reset Anafi and re-calibrate her from the beginning. If this happens to you again, you should land immediately, provided you are not flying over water or a blackberry thicket.

Regards, Leif.

Thanks for the .json file. I have had a quick look at the file and the screendump that you posted fron ShowAnafiLog appears to be the result of the crash with the hedge and not the cause of the problem. You do lose GPS sats for about 32 seconds at 06:14:11 but the Anafi appears to be hovering during this time with no problem. I did notice that the roll and pitch angles during the flight spiked in places to a roll angle of +or- 30 Degrees and a pitch angle of +or- 40 Degrees. There is a slight correlation between the roll and pitch events but not always. Did you notice any of these movements or did you make them yourself? They might only be visible by line of sight as the gimbal would tend to cancel them out on the video.

Other than that there does not appear to be anything that I can spot that would indicate a cause of failure. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Just a thought but were all of the legs folded out correctly when you got to it in the hedge? If one was not locked correctly it could have folded slightly in flight which could cause problems.

Thanks for taking a look Liger i really appreciate it!

It was pretty difficult to see to be honest and it was a holly hedge. It is possible the legs were knocked in a bit when it hit the soil?

I did notice that the roll and pitch angles during the flight spiked in places to a roll angle of +or- 30 Degrees and a pitch angle of +or- 40 Degrees. There is a slight correlation between the roll and pitch events but not always. Did you notice any of these movements or did you make them yourself? They might only be visible by line of sight as the gimbal would tend to cancel them out on the video.

Can you explain this a bit more? until the video i posted everything looked normal.

What you have experienced is what people call "The Toilet Bowl Effect" which is a dangerous condition to try and fly in. It happens because of a incorrectly calibrated compass. Therefore, you should reset Anafi and re-calibrate her from the beginning. If this happens to you again, you should land immediately, provided you are not flying over water or a blackberry thicket.

Regards, Leif.

Thanks i'll definitely be doing the "calibration dance" before flying again :)

I think it was a combination of things.

You seemed to have full control up until ~0:22 sec mark when the Anafi passes you.
Remember the SC3 is directional, it must be pointed at the Anafi to get the best signal. Your orientation and that of the SC3 did not change after the Anafi passed you.
That, coupled with the possible interference from your device may have caused that mishap.
Luckily Anafi survived.
Happy flying.

I think it was a combination of things.

You seemed to have full control up until ~0:22 sec mark when the Anafi passes you.
Remember the SC3 is directional, it must be pointed at the Anafi to get the best signal. Your orientation and that of the SC3 did not change after the Anafi passed you.
That, coupled with the possible interference from your device may have caused that mishap.
Luckily Anafi survived.
Happy flying.

I'd disagree with this being the reason for the crash but thanks.

Liger 1956 said: I did notice that the roll and pitch angles during the flight spiked in places to a roll angle of +or- 30 Degrees and a pitch angle of +or- 40 Degrees. There is a slight correlation between the roll and pitch events but not always. Did you notice any of these movements or did you make them yourself? They might only be visible by line of sight as the gimbal would tend to cancel them out on the video.

Can you explain this a bit more? until the video i posted everything looked normal.
Robanafi Charts attitude.png

From the graph above you can see that the pitch and roll axis have spikes way above their normal values. This may not be visible on the video as the gimbal would compensate for it provided that it does not hit it's end stops. There are some occurances where both the pitch and roll values spike at the same time but for the most part they occur independantly of each other. Although I have seen similar, but not as high value, spikes in some of my .json files I have not seen them such frequency. They could be caused by wind gusts or turbulance but a 40 degree pitch is a lot!

View attachment 1678

From the graph above you can see that the pitch and roll axis have spikes way above their normal values. This may not be visible on the video as the gimbal would compensate for it provided that it does not hit it's end stops. There are some occurances where both the pitch and roll values spike at the same time but for the most part they occur independantly of each other. Although I have seen similar, but not as high value, spikes in some of my .json files I have not seen them such frequency. They could be caused by wind gusts or turbulance but a 40 degree pitch is a lot!

Very strange. I'll have to have a look at my other flights. The wind was only 6mph that morning(i try not to fly in anything over 12mph), i was flying in sport mode though but the settings are not maxed out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut