Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Canadian Drone Regulations – People, Buildings, Vehicles

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
One of the biggest changes in the new Canadian drone regulations on Jan 9 2019 are around minimum distances allowed to people, buildings, and vehicles.
Gone are the restrictions to buildings and vehicles for both Basic and Advanced operations. The primary requirement being to stay 30M from bystanders. Flights over vehicles and buildings are permitted, as long as their are no freestanding people.
Horizontal Distance
901.26 Subject to paragraph 901.69(1)(b) or (c), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at a distance of less than 100 feet (30 m) from another person, measured horizontally and at any altitude, except from a crew member or other person involved in the operation.
The exclusion of occupied vehicles and buildings was confirmed by Katelin Klassen of COASTAL DRONE in a recent review with the TC RPAS Task Force:
The 100′ horizontal distance from people mentioned in CAR 901.26 means freestanding bodies. “People” does not refer to those in cars or buildings. Asking people to step inside while you fly is totally reasonable under the new regulations.​
One additional item of note near buildings is the ability to exceed the base 400′ AGL altitude limit as well, allowing 100′ above the structure if you are within 200′:
Maximum Altitude
901.25 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at an altitude greater than
(a) 400 feet (122 m) AGL; or
(b) 100 feet (30 m) above any building or structure, if the aircraft is being operated at a distance of less than 200 feet (61 m), measured horizontally, from the building or structure.
For Advanced operations the distance to bystanders can be further reduced, but is dependent on the assurance level the manufacture has approved for the UAV. The details on the specifics are still unknown and TBA by TC.
901.69 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system under this Division to conduct any of the following operations unless a declaration under section 901.76 has been made in respect of that model of system and the certificate of registration issued in respect of the aircraft specifies the operations for which the declaration was made:
(a) operations in controlled airspace;
(b) operations at a distance of less than 100 feet (30 m) but not less than 16.4 feet (5 m) from another person except from a crew member or other person involved in the operation, measured horizontally and at any altitude; or
(c) operations at a distance of less than 16.4 feet (5 m) from another person, measured horizontally and at any altitude.
The exception to this is at advertised events. These will still require an SFOC for drone operations.
Special Aviation Events and Advertised Events
901.41 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system at any special aviation event or at any advertised event except in accordance with a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued under section 903.03.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), advertised event means an outdoor event that is advertised to the general public, including a concert, festival, market or sporting event.​

That language about spacing away from people is going to be horrible for our hobby. I sure hope they don't consider adopting that here in the states. It would pretty much kill my flying around parks since there is always someone out walking a dog or kids that run over to see what I am doing, etc.

As long as they are not in you area you should be fine. Hard to control people moving around. As for people coming over to talk, you can always set up a safety zone around you. A lot of Part 107 pilots do this when they are on a job. Nothing worse then being distracted by someone asking questions when you need to keep your eye on the UAV. ;)

Sure it's great these rules are in place, and then there is reenforcement.

The FAA (and CAA) have so little resources, no one will ever be sited for these violations, unless of course there is an incident.

Case and point. In the thousands of flights I've done over the years I had never been challenged on any of my flights.

Last month I had a insurance inspection, I was expecting some resistance because the building was on the main street of an internationally well known, and very busy street running 24/7/365.

The flight went without incident, I took 150 pictures on two flights. My observer had said people were looking and waving at the drone, but no one stopped to challenge.

All the pictures were free of any persons.

Sure it's great these rules are in place, and then there is reenforcement.

The FAA (and CAA) have so little resources, no one will ever be sited for these violations, unless of course there is an incident.

Case and point. In the thousands of flights I've done over the years I had never been challenged on any of my flights.

Last month I had a insurance inspection, I was expecting some resistance because the building was on the main street of an internationally well known, and very busy street running 24/7/365.

The flight went without incident, I took 150 pictures on two flights. My observer had said people were looking and waving at the drone, but no one stopped to challenge.

All the pictures were free of any persons.

Good that you have had no problems but I can tell you Florida is one of the States the FAA has started using 2 inspectors to investigate complaints. And there are a lot of people getting charged for violations. One of my friends I met in another forum his wife is a lawyer that does nothing but UAV Law. He has a plane and flies her all over the country for court cases. I asked him where he has been lately and his wife is so busy he has had no time to fly UAV's :)
"As for me, I'm flying my wife around supporting her law practice - I hope the fools out there keep breaking the law cause I like flying this bird (his new plane). Good gig if you can get it."
He is also busy on an FAA advisory council focused on how the FAA can react more efficiency to the needs of the drone community and aviation safety. So he is pretty aware of all the violations people are getting charged with.

30 metres from people is the Australian standard too. You can only fly over people if you are a licensed pilot & have lodged papers stating your job details. Even for someone like me that may want to get some footage for local community groups at their events, I need to lodge papers as if I am a commercial pilot! It makes sense to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame