Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Keith Davis

Reaction score
Long retired at 83, I took up the drone challenge to get my mind off of Covid. I have several drones (Bebop 1;Mavic Mini; Hubsan Pro; and several very beginner drones). Today I added a Skycontroller 1. I thought this would be a great group to join. As an avid photographer I wanted to explore new perspectives in my photography. Ultimately, I plan to get pics of the whale migration. This stuff isn't as easy as I thought....maybe I've jumped in over my head. I just acquired the Skycontroller and will do my homework on how to use it.

A warm welcome to the forum from the UK. I hope that you get a lot of enjoyment from flying your drones.

What part of the world are you from?

Long retired at 83, I took up the drone challenge to get my mind off of Covid. I have several drones (Bebop 1;Mavic Mini; Hubsan Pro; and several very beginner drones). Today I added a Skycontroller 1. I thought this would be a great group to join. As an avid photographer I wanted to explore new perspectives in my photography. Ultimately, I plan to get pics of the whale migration. This stuff isn't as easy as I thought....maybe I've jumped in over my head. I just acquired the Skycontroller and will do my homework on how to use it.
Welcome.... The Bebop and the Mini are plenty capable for lower end drones. Down the road I would probably consider concentrating on just one better quality drone to home your skills..... with varying controllers and software, its hard to get really good at flying and taking great shots.

The Mini that you have is a good candidate but has limited sensitivity controls so footage can sometimes be jerky. The Parrot ANAFI is a good choice which can be found refurbed for $370 and new from $500 - $900 depending on the package. Other great picks are the Mini 2 ($449, great controls, long range) and the Mavic Air 2 ($700-1000 great controls, long range, collision sensors) - US dollars.

Last edited:
A warm welcome to the forum from the UK. I hope that you get a lot of enjoyment from flying your drones.

What part of the world are you from?
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I live in Santa Rosa, CA. Along the nearby coast a cold ocean current sweeps down from Japan and Alaska which brings the whale migration close to the shore. For years I’ve marveled at the sight of the spouts and occasional breaches far from the reach of my camera. The two KM range of my Parrot via the Skycontroller gives me the equipment necessary. My hopes are to be competent with the equipment. I’ve learned a lot the hard way acquiring good judgement from experience and getting experience from bad judgement. This Forum may save me a lot of grief.

Welcome.... The Bebop and the Mini are plenty capable for lower end drones. Down the road I would probably consider concentrating on just one better quality drone to home your skills..... with varying controllers and software, its hard to get really good at flying and taking great shots.

The Mini that you have is a good candidate but has limited sensitivity controls so footage can sometimes be jerky. The Parrot ANAFI is a good choice which can be found refurbed for $370 and new from $500 - $900 depending on the package. Other great picks are the Mini 2 ($449, great controls, long range) and the Mavic Air 2 ($700-1000 great controls, long range, collision sensors) - US dollars.

I chose the Parrot system in order to learn flying and drone photography. It will not be too costly should it go down in the sea. Then, I will send out my Hubsan Pro Plus which has a longer range and flight time. Once I get proficient with it I'll move up to a higher quality camera such as the ANAFI provides. Do you find the software on the ANAFI equal to that in the DJI? From what I've experienced, it seems to me the DJI is easier for me. Thanks for your reply. It is just the kind of input I need to make progress in this hobby.

I chose the Parrot system in order to learn flying and drone photography. It will not be too costly should it go down in the sea. Then, I will send out my Hubsan Pro Plus which has a longer range and flight time. Once I get proficient with it I'll move up to a higher quality camera such as the ANAFI provides. Do you find the software on the ANAFI equal to that in the DJI? From what I've experienced, it seems to me the DJI is easier for me. Thanks for your reply. It is just the kind of input I need to make progress in this hobby.
I think the Freeflight 6 app that Anafi uses is better than than the DJI Fly app if you like the automated camera modes. It also has a decent Waypoint system built in. DJI hardware is more polished and generally will provide more stable flight using better sensors and gps.

Good info....thanks. I do like automated camera modes followed up with finishing touches in Photo editing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut