Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Opinions on allowing Parrot to host your flight data

Joe_Scot

Reaction score
I’m curious what people’s opinions are on allowing your flight data to be uploaded to Parrot. When I got my Anafi in February I registered it on Parrot’s website and agreed to allow them to host my flight data. I was quite surprised that it was optional but I figured there might be more pros than cons of doing this.

So, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this, and in particular…
  • Have you found any advantages of having Parrot receive your flight data? I see that in ‘My Account settings’ where I have said Yes to receiving newsletters and Yes to managing my flight data, it says “By agreeing to sync your flight data with My.Parrot (technical data, geolocation), you will enjoy many exclusive benefits, tips and tricks about your product, additional functions and personalised support”. But I haven’t ever received a single email about anything from Parrot
  • I’ve read in several threads about the sad demise of a few people’s Anafis dropping out of the sky and Parrot’s inconsistent response to requests for replacements. Does anyone think they might use your flight data (from flights prior to the disaster obviously) to decide whether you fly sensibly or have had many crashes? Do you think that if you refuse to share your flight data, then you are more likely to get an immediate NO to any request for help after an accident?
  • Do you think it likely that if you (inadvertently or otherwise) flew your drone somewhere that you shouldn’t, then having your flight data stored could be used by Parrot to deny any warranty claim… does anyone have any experience regarding this?
Thanks for any opinions / insights on the above!

Reactions: h-elsner
I’m curious what people’s opinions are on allowing your flight data to be uploaded to Parrot. When I got my Anafi in February I registered it on Parrot’s website and agreed to allow them to host my flight data. I was quite surprised that it was optional but I figured there might be more pros than cons of doing this.

So, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this, and in particular…
  • Have you found any advantages of having Parrot receive your flight data? I see that in ‘My Account settings’ where I have said Yes to receiving newsletters and Yes to managing my flight data, it says “By agreeing to sync your flight data with My.Parrot (technical data, geolocation), you will enjoy many exclusive benefits, tips and tricks about your product, additional functions and personalised support”. But I haven’t ever received a single email about anything from Parrot
  • I’ve read in several threads about the sad demise of a few people’s Anafis dropping out of the sky and Parrot’s inconsistent response to requests for replacements. Does anyone think they might use your flight data (from flights prior to the disaster obviously) to decide whether you fly sensibly or have had many crashes? Do you think that if you refuse to share your flight data, then you are more likely to get an immediate NO to any request for help after an accident?
  • Do you think it likely that if you (inadvertently or otherwise) flew your drone somewhere that you shouldn’t, then having your flight data stored could be used by Parrot to deny any warranty claim… does anyone have any experience regarding this?
Thanks for any opinions / insights on the above!
Hi Joe.
I personally think its a good idea but i also think all drones should have some way of being identified to there owner to help eliminate the current climate of bad press worldwide on the use of drones to cause major disruption at airports and the like.
We really all do need to be more aware and responsible when flying our drones and having a private pilots license i really do feel and see the need to be very aware at all times. Ian

I have to agree landico. I have a Bebop 2 and am very new to flying it, just 4.5 hrs of flight time recorded. My flight data is shared with parrot and I don't have a problem with it. In fact with a drone that has a 2 km range and a top speed (so far) of about 60 kmh I think it should be mandatory to have flight data available to hand over in the event of an accident or misuse. Don't get me wrong, I'm no advocate of "big brothers" watchful eye but there are a lot of people out there risking the safety of others in big ways. You tube is loaded with videos of drones of all sorts slamming into traffic, people, and harassing wildlife. Not to mention airports and emergency sites and disaster zones. A pilot's license eliminates the old " well I didn't know" stuff and registering your drone enables tracking it to it's owner.

I'm a data junkie, I collect all my flight logs.

BUT, i store it local. I would never give away my data to whatever company without a need. You cannot avoid this 100% but I give away as less as possible.
Everyone drives me to use some cloud services - my answer is NO.

br HE

Reactions: Rizzo08 and Kilrah
As drone users we have a flying device that without correctly kept records of its flights would make it impossible for Parrot to discern whether they have a requirement to repair or replace one in the case of something happening to it that renders it useless to the purchaser. Back to the "correctly kept records" as this is an issue for the average Joe buying a drone, from any company. They, the user, are for the most part not going to keep accurate flight logs or records of flight & I mean with accuracy showing the flight as it progressed & exactly what the machine was doing at any instance, not just basic data like where, when, wind-speeds AGL, temperature, humidity, altitude of take-off, etc... Put yourself in the shoes of a drone manufacturer, you'd want more details than that to prove it may have been mechanical or electronic failure of some sort wouldn't you?

I have no issues sharing this sort of data with Parrot at all & I'm actually glad that they collect it, so they can accurately discern what's happened in any instances that need analysis to uncover what happened.

Last edited:
When I first got my Anafi the only way to use flight logs in FlightData Manager was to import them from Parrot. Now that we can download the logs from our Apps (.JSON) I see no reason for my private flights to be anywhere on the interweb. This is a big reason DJI got the boot from the US military. Its called data collecting and most countries frown on it. If for any reason Parrot needs a log for warranty they can ask for it to be reviewed. All my Yuneec UAV's store flight logs on a SDcard in the RC and never uploaded to any server. They also can ask for the log if needed. Parrot has beta testers to give them information about a product so storing our flight logs is not needed in my opinion.

Reactions: Rizzo08
When I first got my Anafi the only way to use flight logs in FlightData Manager was to import them from Parrot. Now that we can download the logs from our Apps (.JSON) I see no reason for my private flights to be anywhere on the interweb. This is a big reason DJI got the boot from the US military. Its called data collecting and most countries frown on it. If for any reason Parrot needs a log for warranty they can ask for it to be reviewed. All my Yuneec UAV's store flight logs on a SDcard in the RC and never uploaded to any server. They also can ask for the log if needed. Parrot has beta testers to give them information about a product so storing our flight logs is not needed in my opinion.
I fully understand & respect yours & others positions here, but, playing devil's advocate for a moment... :devilish:

Are the .json files editable to represent other values than those initially recorded? I know you can change exif data easily, so am presuming you can do the same with these files, just like most files. That's the lynch-pin in my decision to go with allowing Parrot access to my flight records, it keeps me above any potential accusation of tampering from Parrot.

My intention here is not to create an argument, it's to gather a richer understanding of the situation for myself through a respectful discourse.

Reactions: taybrynn
The first thing Parrot does is ask you to provide the .JSON file from your App and provides a tutorial on how to access it so they can review it. So I see no reason to have my info out on some server god knows where.

Reactions: Rizzo08
Well lets us know what you experienced. Are you dealing Parrot or are you dealing with the place of purchase?
I thought I had already shared my experience when it happened? Oh well...

I was never asked for .json files. A return process was initiated for me by Parrot, but they couldn't guarantee a return to me before the community event I had to capture last week, so I have held off returning it directly to them, especially after your experiences. Hence why I started a dialogue with the place of purchase as is actually the legal requirement here in Oz under consumer protection law. They are yet to finalise anything with me.

Ah OK, you might have posted it before but I guess I missed it. Well the fact is if they need the log they can ask you for it and having it out there on a server is not necessary. Its a matter of choice.

Ah OK, you might have posted it before but I guess I missed it. Well the fact is if they need the log they can ask you for it and having it out there on a server is not necessary. Its a matter of choice.
I'm understanding that now, but am still curious as to whether the .json files can be tweaked or edited without it being evident, like can be done with exif files?

I'm understanding that now, but am still curious as to whether the .json files can be tweaked or edited without it being evident, like can be done with exif files?

Definitely can be edited, yes. The .json files are basically comma separated text files that can be opened and edited in a text editor such as Notepad++

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
.... and thanks to everyone so far for your opinions on my question. I had expected there would be a fair split of 'good idea' vs 'bad idea' :)

I'm still curious whether anyone has enjoyed "many exclusive benefits, tips and tricks about your product, additional functions and personalised support” by uploading your data .... I certainly haven't! (but I haven't needed to actually contact support about anything yet)

Ya I can say I enjoyed a follow up I got this month from 07/30/2018 telling me that batteries are now in stock in Canada. Not bad as they have been in stock for over 5 months now. LOL

I have no problem sharing the data on a need to know basis (accident or mishap occurs) but would not give unfettered access to the files. Of course I understand there are different opinions about privacy issues depending on where you live and what you are use to. I don't approach this from the point of view one way being right or wrong. There may be all sorts of legitimate reasons for share this information with Parrot but given the history of information being shared with and/or used for unauthorized purposes I'd like to control as much as possible what gets shared and when.

I'm still curious whether anyone has enjoyed "many exclusive benefits, tips and tricks about your product, additional functions and personalised support” by uploading your data .... I certainly haven't! (but I haven't needed to actually contact support about anything yet)
I particularly enjoyed the exclusive benefit of not being able to properly access the manual camera settings at the moment I needed them, whilst I was capturing a local community event. I still think I was exclusive with that experience! :p

The flood of Parrot YouTube "tips" has really helped finesse my flying skills too!
[/sarcasm]

I particularly enjoyed the exclusive benefit of not being able to properly access the manual camera settings at the moment I needed them, whilst I was capturing a local community event. I still think I was exclusive with that experience! :p

Always good to be in an exclusive club!! Ha ha.

• Haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame