Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Phone charging when connected to remote controller?

notyourregularape

Reaction score
Hello fellow Anafians,

As title says, when I connect my smartphone to the RC, no matter which USB mode I choose (charge, transfer files, transfer photos) the controller sends juice to the phone. Do you know how to avoid this? Does it happen to you too, or am I plain stupid? :)

I hope someone will explain this to me.

Many thanks

Last edited:
So what exactly is the issue? With my Samsung Galaxy J3 fully charged I can rip 3 Anafi batteries down to 20-30% and still have 50% or more on the controller and my phone is still charged up. I'm not going to lie, I've used the controller as a power bank before as well...

Hahah, I understand this can also be regarded as a feature, but to me it's more of a bug. Well, I was hoping there would only be data transfer between the RC and the phone, not power transfer. Am I missing something, or is this regular behavior for the Anafi RC?

Reactions: Kdavis2269
Hahah, I understand this can also be regarded as a feature, but to me it's more of a bug. Well, I was hoping there would only be data transfer between the RC and the phone, not power transfer. Am I missing something, or is this regular behavior for the Anafi RC?
As far as I understand, this is common among all electronic items that deal with USB-C. So you can hook up to anything with a USB-C port & grab power from it if needed; laptop, battery pack, another mobile device, a drone controller, etc...

This has been a problem with Android for many different UAV manufactures. There are posts about rooting your phone and using a App to stop the transfer. iOS phones apparently don't suffer from this

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
This has been a problem with Android for many different UAV manufactures. There are posts about rooting your phone and using a App to stop the transfer. iOS phones apparently don't suffer from this
This is true, neither of my iOS devices get charged by the controller, but I am connected through the USB 2 port, maybe they are connected via the USB-C port? Or does this happen when connected via any port on Android?

Last edited:
I noticed with my IPhone XS Max, that I will at first enter charging state, then it notice that the device wants to open FreeFlight and leave charging state.

I was using a Nvidia Shield tablet since Anafi came out in July 2018, it did not charge off the SC3 but was a pain to connect. Recently when I started doing the 360 panoramas and found it wasn't powerful enough to process I switched to a S8, which does charge off the SC3 but is seamless in operation. The Shield was Android 7.0 and the S8 is Android 9.0, must be the difference in versions.

I noticed with my IPhone XS Max, that I will at first enter charging state, then it notice that the device wants to open FreeFlight and leave charging state.
On my 8 Plus I get a message saying the percentage my phone is currently charged to, but the charging icon never appears & it instantly shows me the FF6 message. Must be slightly different protocols for the later phones working with USB-C.

I'm now using my rooted Samsung Note 3 with a micro usb as my main screen, it still shows it's charging when connected but as I don't use it as a phone I'm not bothered at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut