Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Replacing GPS module

Reaction score
Hi all,

It looks like my GPS module is playing up. It doesn’t connect at all.

I’ve found replacement GPS modules on eBay, but can’t for the life of me think how it will work.

The module is only held in by the 1 antenna cable. Surely it can’t be as easy as just plugging a new one in?

Any other suggestions as to how to fix this GPS issue? The drone is well out of warranty.

Many thanks for any help

Hi all,

It looks like my GPS module is playing up. It doesn’t connect at all.

I’ve found replacement GPS modules on eBay, but can’t for the life of me think how it will work.

The module is only held in by the 1 antenna cable. Surely it can’t be as easy as just plugging a new one in?

Any other suggestions as to how to fix this GPS issue? The drone is well out of warranty.

Many thanks for any help
Thats all there is to it. One cable and two screws to hold it in place once you take the plastic cover off.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lukerichardson40
Thats all there is to it. One cable and two screws to hold it in place once you take the plastic cover off.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply!! So how does the GPS module communicate with my controller? I mean, how does it know the module is connected to my drone? I would expect them to be coded together somehow if you see what I mean.

I strongly suspect that what is referred to in the repair guide as the 'GPS card' is actually just the GPS antenna, and that the GPS module is part of the motherboard. Parrot Anafi Drone GPS Modul | eBay
What you have linked is what I’ve ordered. Hopefully it fixes the issue. Fingers crossed.

The anafi it’s for is the one I’m experimenting with so hope it works and can do more things to it.

Reactions: MustangPhil
That's correct, this is just the antenna. Unless it was disconnected (in which case a new one is useless) it's pretty unlikely the issue is related to it.

Reactions: MustangPhil
Since the Anafi was introduced in June 2018, wouldn't the warranty still apply? It's six months on wear items, one year on the rest.

Great news !!
I was discussing via FaceBook with a guy that has installed a new GPS antenna (the one on the ‘GPS module’ picture mentioned above. He exchanged this ceramic GPS antenna with a bigger one.
It seems the GPS antenna is soldered to a GPS antenna ‘base’ underneath the metallic plate that is taken in a ‘sandwich’.
The real GPS module seems to be soldered on the main board and does not need replacement.
To place a new antenna, the guy had to remove the metallic protection of the plate (rectangle near the antenna cable) and desolder/resolder the ceramic antenna that has a ‘pin’ that goes through the metallic plate of this ‘module’.
So my guess is, during a chock or a crash, the antenna can be disconnected from the main board or (more likely) the pin desolders from the ceramic part and needs resoldering or replacement.
Did you keep the previous antenna ?

Last edited:
I did keep the original. I can’t see any physical damage to it and the ceramic part feels solid.

I’ll maybe have a go at putting another one on in the future. It’s my anafi that I use for trying new things on so need to try and get it back via gps whenever possible.

Ok I understand.

The physical damage I was referring to is more a desoldered connection between the pin that is bellow the ceramic antenna and the little board beneath the metallic holder of the module (where the antenna cable stands)
I guess (not surel) the metallic holder of the antenna must act like a ‘shield’ between the antenna and all the circuits that are below, but it is also in direct solid connection with the body of the drone and may receive vibrations and mechanical chocks that may lead to GPS troubles.

The guy that exchanged the Ceramic part of the GPS antenna seemed to report improvements in GPS status of the Anafi, but no real ‘scientific tests’ were performed before/after the modification. As it is a risky modification that implies the removal of the metallic cap under the module and soldering small pins, I would not advise anyone to do that without good reasons.

To understand what really is the GPS module and its reference, could you take a picture of your ‘GPS antenna module’ but also the electronic board that is near the antenna cable on the main board of the Anafi (seems to be a rectangular plate or board that is on the Main board but not on the module you replaced).

Sorry for my poor English (and my poor skills in Electronics)

Ok I understand.

The physical damage I was referring to is more a desoldered connection between the pin that is bellow the ceramic antenna and the little board beneath the metallic holder of the module (where the antenna cable stands)
I guess (not surel) the metallic holder of the antenna must act like a ‘shield’ between the antenna and all the circuits that are below, but it is also in direct solid connection with the body of the drone and may receive vibrations and mechanical chocks that may lead to GPS troubles.

The guy that exchanged the Ceramic part of the GPS antenna seemed to report improvements in GPS status of the Anafi, but no real ‘scientific tests’ were performed before/after the modification. As it is a risky modification that implies the removal of the metallic cap under the module and soldering small pins, I would not advise anyone to do that without good reasons.

To understand what really is the GPS module and its reference, could you take a picture of your ‘GPS antenna module’ but also the electronic board that is near the antenna cable on the main board of the Anafi (seems to be a rectangular plate or board that is on the Main board but not on the module you replaced).

Sorry for my poor English (and my poor skills in Electronics)
Yes, what they sell as a GPS module is a ceramic GPS antenna on a metal plate and a signal amplifier-adapter circuit at the bottom. It can also be seen that it is an antenna with a shielded coaxial wire and connector coming out of it.
The GPS decoder chip is on the motherboard and is connected to the flight control processor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking