Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Skycontroller 3 update error

Hello. I have the same issue as Jennifer. The Skycontroller 3 won't finish updating. It gets stuck in the "Update and Reboot" phase and never ends. I've tried several times with different cables and different devices. I've waited 3 hours waiting to complete. My drone and FreeFlight 6 app are up to date. The only way to fly is connecting directly to the drone via WIFI but it's cumbersome to do any flying that way. I wish they would let us skip the update so that we can at least fly with the Skycontroller. Parrot support page (Parrot) is broken and won't let me submit a request as well. It gets an error upon submission. Any ideas are highly appreciated. Rick.
FYI.... I updated 3 Anafis today - two went fine no issues. One of them would not complete the "update & reboot phase", looks like it hung up on not being able to reboot drone
This was happening only on the drone update, the controller had already finished without issue.
I ended up just doing my own power reboot - I could not turn drone off by pressing battery button, just was no response doing so
So I left the update running and then unplugged and reinserted battery and powered on, It allowed the update to complete
This got me to thinking of your issue with controller update - maybe if you run update again and then manually power cycle controller off and on by closing and opening lid at end of update. It is just a thought and I would not want to suggest something that may create other issues or brick your equipment- so do so at your own risk
Best of Luck

Reactions: Rickjq
FYI.... I updated 3 Anafis today - two went fine no issues. One of them would not complete the "update & reboot phase", looks like it hung up on not being able to reboot drone
This was happening only on the drone update, the controller had already finished without issue.
I ended up just doing my own power reboot - I could not turn drone off by pressing battery button, just was no response doing so
So I left the update running and then unplugged and reinserted battery and powered on, It allowed the update to complete
This got me to thinking of your issue with controller update - maybe if you run update again and then manually power cycle controller off and on by closing and opening lid at end of update. It is just a thought and I would not want to suggest something that may create other issues or brick your equipment- so do so at your own risk
Best of Luck
Hi BRC. Yes I have tried that as well. I've waited for the update to finish for 3 hours, I've tuned the controller off and back on when it gets stuck in the Update and Reboot phase, tried it with different cables, different devices. They all connect to the controller and the controller does connect to the drone. It's just that update that i wish i could just skip. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: BRC
I'm experiencing the exact same thing as Rickjq, only it was during the initial setup (ie: zero flight time). I've combed the internet for solutions, and discovered an unboxing video by 'Gadget Inspector' where he found the same issue happen to him - BUT HE GOT AROUND IT! During his initial setup he mistakingly updated the drone first, THEN the controller! I'm wondering if he's onto something?? I'm trying to figure it out myself & hope I can get this kit flight-worthy. Batteries under charge AGAIN as I type this. Will post results as I get them. Meanwhile, any thoughts?? Thanks in advance, gang.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing as Rickjq, only it was during the initial setup (ie: zero flight time). I've combed the internet for solutions, and discovered an unboxing video by 'Gadget Inspector' where he found the same issue happen to him - BUT HE GOT AROUND IT! During his initial setup he mistakingly updated the drone first, THEN the controller! I'm wondering if he's onto something?? I'm trying to figure it out myself & hope I can get this kit flight-worthy. Batteries under charge AGAIN as I type this. Will post results as I get them. Meanwhile, any thoughts?? Thanks in advance, gang.
Hi pollywanafly and welcome to the forum
We’re you able to resolve issue with controller not updating?
When you initially performed setup did you run update first prior to updating drone?

Thanks BRC! No, haven't resolved, and Yes, updated controller first before drone (just like Parrot strongly advises). My only successes are: Skycontroller 3 & Anafi can easily sync with no phone involved (solid blue LEDs on both; Gimbal actions witnessed when toggled at the controller) and that my phone & Anafi connect via WIFI and provide ability to fly via FF6 on the iPhone's screen (far from optimal). FF6 just will not recognize my Skycontroller 3, even after fully charging everything, hard re-setting the controller and deleting/re-installing FF6 with cold booting my iPhone after each step. Also, if phone & Anafi are WIFI connected, and I then try to connect the Skycontroller via iPhone's Lightning/USB-A cable, Anafi's WIFI connection disconnects from the phone and the entire system goes DOA.

I'm all a loss and beginning to believe Parrot's latest version of FF6 is flawed, because I'm not alone in witnessing these controller update fails. Will Parrot rectify or am I (and others) duped?

Are you certain there is no problems with you USB port on the SC3? Sounds like the SC3 is working if it is connecting to the Anafi ok. Have you attempted flying (on SC3 alone) ?

No, I havent. But honestly, As I was trying one last attempt to link SC3 with phone I had given up & was tearing everything down. I inadvertingly hit the launch button on the phone-less SC3 and the Anafi abruptly came to life! It startled the heck out of me & I imediately shut it down for I was still inside the house. So, having witnessed that, I feel confident in saying that Yes, the Anafi will fly with just the SC3. And it will also fly with just the phone. It just won't fly with the phone connected to the SC3...or maybe it WILL fly but only under SC3's commands without feedback/direction from FF6 (blank/dark screen, etc.)?? I'll have to find time to experiment there. Thanks for your feedback. I'm open for more insight if available :) UPDATE: No flight while SC3 is connected to iPhone because WIFI between FF6 & Anafi then breaks down and goes into 'blinking blue' mode. Power down the SC3 and WIFI restores transmission between Anafi and FF6.

Last edited:
I would open up the SC3 and check the USB-A connector solder joints, sounds like you have a failed USB connector.

Hi PollyWannaFly. I was able to get a response from support. They recommended the following steps. I will try them to see if it helps maybe you'd like to try the same.
Thank you for contacting Parrot customer support, we appreciate your time and patience and we do apologize for our late response.

Please perform the following:
  1. First reset the controller by leaving it powered until fully discharged or by the following methods: How do I restore default controls on the Skycontroller 3? | Parrot support
  2. Then please fully charge the controller
  3. use another smartphone
  4. calibrate the controller
  5. Try to re-update the firmware.

Reactions: BRC
Thanks Rickjq. I'd followed out the 'restore default controls' sequence days ago with no difference in performance. And I don't get how you could follow out step 4 above before re-updating the firmware in step 5. I also don't have a drawer full of smartphones at my disposal, so...'use another smartphone' simply isn't an option for me. Did you have any success??
AnafiPilot1: I brought the SC3 to work yesterday & re-soldered the USB contacts even though they appeared solid. I also tried a different USB-C to lightning cable last night - no change whatsoever.
I'm firmly convinced it's a firmware update flaw that Parrot has to fix asap. The AppStore claims the latest FF6 revision is only a week or two old - what did Parrot do to it??

Thanks Rickjq. I'd followed out the 'restore default controls' sequence days ago with no difference in performance. And I don't get how you could follow out step 4 above before re-updating the firmware in step 5. I also don't have a drawer full of smartphones at my disposal, so...'use another smartphone' simply isn't an option for me. Did you have any success??
AnafiPilot1: I brought the SC3 to work yesterday & re-soldered the USB contacts even though they appeared solid. I also tried a different USB-C to lightning cable last night - no change whatsoever.
I'm firmly convinced it's a firmware update flaw that Parrot has to fix asap. The AppStore claims the latest FF6 revision is only a week or two old - what did Parrot do to it??
Hello pollywannafly-
From your original post sounds like this is a brand new Anafi that has never been flown, if so when and who did you purchase from?
Have you reached out to seller to check on return or exchange policy period? I would suggest a return or exchange as you're entitled to a working drone
If that is not possible you may want to reach out to Parrot Support at Parrot - get a support ticket generated should be covered under their warranty

What model iphone and ios version are you using?
With drone off and at iphone home screen connect phone to SC3 and then open lid on controller -
Does FF6 prompt you to allow communications to skycontroller and then automatically open FF6?
At FF6 home screen at top of page is controller icon green?
When you tap controller icon what software version is shown?
Does it show and options for connect, calibration, reset, and update or are they greyed out?
When you tap calibration does it take you to calibration screen and allow you to calibrate? ( this would be step 4 in your response above)
Are you able to run software update after calibration and what happens if you do?

I wish you the best of luck and understand how frustrating this can be

Last edited:
Hi BRC. To answer some of your questions:

Yes, this was a new (refurb) purchase that initially behaved like a virgin first power up.
iPhone 6S; IOS 11.7.x
I never got to see a green controller icon, for the FF6 'splash page' led me directly to firmware update stages when I first powered up, plugged iphone in to SC3, agreed to T&Cs and waived 'MyParrot' registrations. Thus, I never delved into the app's flight GUI. The SC3 & Anafi had automatically sync'd by this time. The SC3 was recognized as needing firmware updates and was not bypassable. Clicked 'continue', and it cycled through its' update sequences. Two minuets and 90-95% complete yellow circle, it laid there in 'hourglass mode' (this 'Update & Reboot' stage carried on for well over 15 minuets). The only option provided at this point was 'Cancel' - no 'Retry', no 'Failed to Update' error messages, just hanging in suspension- so I cancelled in hopes of trying the update again from scratch. From that point on to this time of writing FF6 has not recognized the SC3 no matter how often I un-install/re-install the app, cold start the phone, reset the SC3 to factory default, etc. Anafi sees it, FF6 does not.
I should mention that after trying several (3-4) times to re-gain SC3 connection by unplugging/re-plugging the iPhone duirng initial setup, I knuckled under & back-paged to the Anafi firmware update page & follwed that thru without fail. By then, still...no sight of the SC3 via FF6. No icon for it whatsoever, just instructions on how to connect (fresh re-installs of FF6 did not open automagically upon SC3 to iPhone connection - had to manually open the app, and they presented 'Nothing Happened' buttons that simply sent you to the connection instructions page- no 'Re-Try' there either ). *sigh*. It's all just soooo close to a complete triangle!

I wonder if rickjq made any progress since Parrot support reached out...

Hi BRC. To answer some of your questions:

Yes, this was a new (refurb) purchase that initially behaved like a virgin first power up.
iPhone 6S; IOS 11.7.x
I never got to see a green controller icon, for the FF6 'splash page' led me directly to firmware update stages when I first powered up, plugged iphone in to SC3, agreed to T&Cs and waived 'MyParrot' registrations. Thus, I never delved into the app's flight GUI. The SC3 & Anafi had automatically sync'd by this time. The SC3 was recognized as needing firmware updates and was not bypassable. Clicked 'continue', and it cycled through its' update sequences. Two minuets and 90-95% complete yellow circle, it laid there in 'hourglass mode' (this 'Update & Reboot' stage carried on for well over 15 minuets). The only option provided at this point was 'Cancel' - no 'Retry', no 'Failed to Update' error messages, just hanging in suspension- so I cancelled in hopes of trying the update again from scratch. From that point on to this time of writing FF6 has not recognized the SC3 no matter how often I un-install/re-install the app, cold start the phone, reset the SC3 to factory default, etc. Anafi sees it, FF6 does not.
I should mention that after trying several (3-4) times to re-gain SC3 connection by unplugging/re-plugging the iPhone duirng initial setup, I knuckled under & back-paged to the Anafi firmware update page & follwed that thru without fail. By then, still...no sight of the SC3 via FF6. No icon for it whatsoever, just instructions on how to connect (fresh re-installs of FF6 did not open automagically upon SC3 to iPhone connection - had to manually open the app, and they presented 'Nothing Happened' buttons that simply sent you to the connection instructions page- no 'Re-Try' there either ). *sigh*. It's all just soooo close to a complete triangle!

I wonder if rickjq made any progress since Parrot support reached out...
Hi PollyWannaFly. No luck on my end updating the controller. If anything, things got worse. Now my controller will not connect to my phone at all or to the drone. The light is now steady light blue and I cannot hard reset it or do anything else with it. When that happened before, I was able to synchronize it with the drone by connecting the controller to the drone with a cable. Now, that doesn't make a difference. I contacted Parrot support yesterday but they still did not reply. I am stuck flying my drone with WIFI connection to my phone but that's just because I'm simply flying up and taking 360 pictures of places. Other than that, I cannot do much else. I'm really hoping there is a different way to update the controller via PC or some other way. I really miss flying with my controller. It was amazingly great when it worked before the update they are forcing us to install. I will inform you if Parrot support has any other suggestions. As far as calibrating the drone in step 4, you can do it as long as your phone recognizes your controller in the FreeFlight 6 app. If it doesn't recognize it like I'm experiencing now, then you cannot calibrate it.

I'm truly sorry, rickjq. I know how you're feeling over all this. I for one am disgusted merely for the time devoted to getting this ironed out. Parrot should be able to forward a zip file via email & let you patch the firmware discretely on a PC USB bus (no WIFI tangles). As for controller calibration, I never got to that stage, for the update puked before completing (calibration takes place AFTER the update). Arrrrg! I still haven't taken a single flight :(

I'm truly sorry, rickjq. I know how you're feeling over all this. I for one am disgusted merely for the time devoted to getting this ironed out. Parrot should be able to forward a zip file via email & let you patch the firmware discretely on a PC USB bus (no WIFI tangles). As for controller calibration, I never got to that stage, for the update puked before completing (calibration takes place AFTER the update). Arrrrg! I still haven't taken a single flight :(
I know PollyWannaFly. Have you tried connecting your drone to your phone directly via WIFI. It's cumbersome to fly like that because the controls are on the screen of your phone but at least you can fly and play with your drone a bit. I am flying my drone that way for now to take aerial pictures until I hear back from support and hopefully have a fix for the controller.

Hi again, Rickjq. Yes, in fact I gave the kit two test flights Sunday - one with just the SC3; one with just the phone. Each flight was around 7 mins and neither were truly enjoyable simply because of the cumbersome controls, but the conditions were perfect! Always fearful of a fly away or some other drastic event...nothing to report in that regard. Perhaps I too should nudge Parrot support & request a firmware patch (if at all possible). It might stir the beehive into thinking there really is a potential issue in the field.

This sounds very much like another Parrot dodgy firmware. Sometime after 1.63 they released an update that locked some of us into countries other than where we were. I was locked to France, some in USA who should be on FCC channels were also locked to countries where they were on CE mode, significant difference.

Despite everyone battering Parrot with emails over the problem, they denied there was an issue and it was a localised event..... it wasn't.

Eventually they released and update that lo and behold corrected the country lockout.

This sounds very very much like that situation. They are denying there is a problem. Unless people with the issue keep battering them with emails about the problem, they will drag their heals.

Now they have the Anafi USA and are playing with the U.S Military, they are just not interested in us hobby flyers, we were just their test bed for better things.

Hi again, Rickjq. Yes, in fact I gave the kit two test flights Sunday - one with just the SC3; one with just the phone. Each flight was around 7 mins and neither were truly enjoyable simply because of the cumbersome controls, but the conditions were perfect! Always fearful of a fly away or some other drastic event...nothing to report in that regard. Perhaps I too should nudge Parrot support & request a firmware patch (if at all possible). It might stir the beehive into thinking there really is a potential issue in the field.
I wonder if it would be of any benefit for you or Rick to log into the Anafi access point and SC3 GUI webserver for informational purposes
Attached pdf shows what information is available
Start Anafi and open controller (without phone connected), after bootup make sure controller is paired by tested camera tilt lever
From a PC connect to Anafi via Wifi then open browser and enter IP address for drone 192.168.42.1
Once connected click on info tab to review Anafi data-
For SC3 find controller address & IP listed on Anafi info page- open another browser tab and enter this IP address to review SC3 data
Would be interesting to see what version SW or FW along with build dates it shows for each device
In addition will list Last Update Status - (not sure if this refers to just drone or both drone & SC3)
You can compare your findings to my attached document
I would not recommend messing around in "Update Tab" as I have heard some folks had bricked their devices by doing so
I don't know how useful or accurate the info will be though if FW update was corrupted or interrupted, but maybe it will help
Best of luck

Attachments

• Anafi & SC3 Webserver Info.pdf
    939 KB · Views: 9
  • Anafi Webserver Info Page.jpg
    Anafi Webserver Info Page.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 14
  • SC3 Webserver Info Page.jpg
    SC3 Webserver Info Page.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Great info BRC, Thank You! It'll be awhile b4 I can investgate-it's been a hard life week to say the least. Thanks again thou.

I wonder if it would be of any benefit for you or Rick to log into the Anafi access point and SC3 GUI webserver for informational purposes
Attached pdf shows what information is available
Start Anafi and open controller (without phone connected), after bootup make sure controller is paired by tested camera tilt lever
From a PC connect to Anafi via Wifi then open browser and enter IP address for drone 192.168.42.1
Once connected click on info tab to review Anafi data-
For SC3 find controller address & IP listed on Anafi info page- open another browser tab and enter this IP address to review SC3 data
Would be interesting to see what version SW or FW along with build dates it shows for each device
In addition will list Last Update Status - (not sure if this refers to just drone or both drone & SC3)
You can compare your findings to my attached document
I would not recommend messing around in "Update Tab" as I have heard some folks had bricked their devices by doing so
I don't know how useful or accurate the info will be though if FW update was corrupted or interrupted, but maybe it will help
Best of luck
Great info to have BRC. Unfortunately, after doing hard resets as recommended by Parrot Support, my SC3 controller no longer connects to my drone or my phone. It has a steady white light. Parrot support has asked me to create a video about the problem and submit it to them. I will send them the video and we'll see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh