Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Solar Activity

Thanev

Reaction score
I downloaded an app called SpaceWeatherLive a while back,and have enjoyed its forecast of Auroral Borealis activity.
I wonder what affect solar flares have on GPS or GLONASS systems as it pertains to our Anafi?

I downloaded an app called SpaceWeatherLive a while back,and have enjoyed its forecast of Auroral Borealis activity.
I wonder what affect solar flares have on GPS or GLONASS systems as it pertains to our Anafi?

We used to worry about this but in reality it doesn't seem to matter much in practice.

Reactions: Thanev
There are Apps that give you informations with the Kp index that you are referring to.
I searched a little on the Web about dispersion of the GPS signal due to solar flares, and in the worst Kp conditions, the GPS signal of a satellite can induce a 100 Ft error.
As we have now enough satellites to deal with (‘enough’ is the word in the Anafi manual to switch the GPS icon to green), it should not be a big problem...

I would be more worried by the electromagnetic perturbations due to local metals or electric wires than by the Kp index.

Reactions: Thanev
As MustangPhil and RemE have eluded to there isn’t too much to be concerned about with regard to increased Solar activity. A few years ago many in the DJI community were scare mongering with bad science, probably to cover up a lack of piloting skills, claiming sunspots and such were responsible for their flyaways and/or crashes. I’ve never put much credence into these claims and quite often flown during periods of high solar activity with no evidence of any detrimental behaviour from the drone(s).

I know some studies were carried out, I believe in Norway, into the effects of high Kp indices on geolacational positioning accuracies and while there some some deviation in accuracy in very extreme instances it was not significant enough to be of concern.

Prior to my retirement I worked at a satelllite Ground Station and yes we were concerned about solar flare activity but this was because of the possible harm it could do to some of the sensitive onboard systems. In such situations we would power down nonessential payloads to reduce the possibility of overloading the power systems. Sometimes steering the Bird into such an attitude so these systems were further shielded by the external chassis of the satellite.

Regards

Nidge

Yes,I use that app as well.
Interesting about your mention of the Kp index over 4 as I have seen that level mentioned in a couple of other instances,pertaining to RC aircraft .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut