Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Solaris8x86 views on the Parrot Anafi crash's(5/Nov)

Very thorough and informative. I wonder what firmware version the Anafi was on and whether that makes a difference to the voltages at the various FF6 stated % left figures. It is helpful seeing the battery opened up and knowing that the cells can be replaced without the charging circuit being "bricked".

Interesting to watch. And where to buy those batteries which are just at the good size?
He sell them, but what a price !

Interesting to watch. And where to buy those batteries which are just at the good size?
He sell them, but what a price !

If you look on his youtube channel he has a link to the cells. Pretty expensive as he is trying to sell his mod for the SC3 at the same time.

Yes, that’s what i have seen.
I’m not interested in this mod, but thoses cheap cells are interresting.
Not easy to find where he bougt those cells...

The mod-batteries he is selling seem a bit expensive and its almost like he's trying to scare us into buying them?

I've only had one true "fall out of the sky" and that was on fairly new batteries. My recent issue was autolanding at 70% battery and unless i'm missing something this video doesn't cover that?

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
Since the very beginning, we’ve been asking for a screen that would show us the discharge of both cells (not an ‘overall percentage for both cells’)
DJI drones do show this information.
... an interesting video that could explain why we do not see the discharge per cell...

So how does the app decide what the % of battery to display? Based on Solaris8x86's video it does not appear to be based on battery voltage otherwise both of his tests should give the same % to battery voltage correlation. Is the app checking the battery voltage at power up, relating that to a capacity and then using the wattage used to calculate the % battery power left?

So how does the app decide what the % of battery to display? Based on Solaris8x86's video it does not appear to be based on battery voltage otherwise both of his tests should give the same % to battery voltage correlation. Is the app checking the battery voltage at power up, relating that to a capacity and then using the wattage used to calculate the % battery power left?

Not sure.

The video has got one with wrong.

While the Anafi battery level management is broken - as at 3v per cell why the battery logic still thought there was 23% charge remaining is plain wrong.

My issue with the video is that testing was done with faulty batteries - hence the 23% battery level voltage was 3v.

3.2v is the lowest safe voltage LiPo cells should be discharged down to, and that is where I generally have my low V alarms set on my other RC stuff.

When the cells in the battery were replaced with fresh cells, the Anafi landed and switched off at 2% battery level which according to the video was at 3.273v - I don't see any issue with that.

I never go below around 25% and going by the video it equates to 3.6v which is perfectly fine between useable flying time and battery health.

If you look on his youtube channel he has a link to the cells. Pretty expensive as he is trying to sell his mod for the SC3 at the same time.

Yes slightly - cells of that size and capacity cost around US$ 6 each

However not seen that size before 10mm thick, 31mm wide, 72mm long (fbc1003172 from video). Possible they are a custom wrap which may push the cost up to around US$ 12 each (depending on qty ordered or course).

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2020.11.05-22_22_14.png

Reactions: Nesher
Since the very beginning, we’ve been asking for a screen that would show us the discharge of both cells (not an ‘overall percentage for both cells’)
DJI drones do show this information.
... an interesting video that could explain why we do not see the discharge per cell...
My sentiments exactly. I now understand why we cannot view the cell info in FF6.

We now know that the cells can be changed out without bricking the board.
Adding a balance port will make this mod perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_125947.jpg
    IMG_20200101_125947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
A little theatrical performance but he gets his point across. Something we have suspected for some time now.
Interesting!
It explains the "fell out of the air" below 30%
But not explaining the 50-80% "fell downs"

But it shows a serious problem in the Anafi design!
And might be one reason, that the "USA" is back to 3 cells!

Edit - And taking the "sound cell management" in account: Landing at 40+ %, to keep the battery alive, makes the Anafi a 12 minute flighttime Drone

I believe charging with a balance port will extend the life of the cells because the cells stay cool during charging. When charging using USB C the top of the casing gets warmer/hot., This additional heat must have an effect on the cells.
Would be interesting to tell whether it is the cell closer to the electronics to the top of the battery which usually fails first.

Thanks Solaris for those explanations.
So, what i’m thinking about, now, is how to maintain a minimum voltage (6,1v if i understand well) to the anafi motherboard, which won’t cut off all power instantly..
It needs an additional battery, certainly

I see two problems with what @solaris8x86 is offering.
1st. I have three batteries all of which work just fine so far. So my issue would be how to check each one that might need replacing without have a crash to find that bad battery.

2nd. Problem is after 6 months or even a year and I need more cells replaced and I already have the SC3 mod from the first purchase there must be a lower priced option to get the spare cells or he will not have returning customers which is not good business planning. :)

As everyone uses their Anafi differently and therefore will drain the batteries to different levels unfortunately there will never be a "safe" figure at which to land. Some may consider the value stated in the video to be very conservative but you must decide yourself whether you want long flight times or long battery life. @solaris8x86 appears to have developed some very clever software his "Performance Enhancement Suite" (PES) that allows him access to the inner workings of the Anafi in order to be able to compare the battery voltages against the FF6 battery % readings whilst the Anafi is flying. Whilst we could fly the Anafi down to a certain % remaining battery, turn off the Anafi and measure the voltage left in the cells it would only be a resting voltage, higher than whilst flying, as the battery voltage will sag during flight dependant on the current draw and the batteries internal resistance.

I do not know whether @solaris8x86 would sell copies of his PES software to enable us to determine whether we have damaged our batteries and also to ascertain the FF6 stated % battery remaining value that we are happy with flying until.

LOL
All Parrot has to do is add the option to FF6 to see what your battery is doing. A cell count is standard on all upper end UAV's so I can see them being forced into providing it for their enterprise drones. Hopefully it will flow down to us poor Anafi users.

Reactions: zandoli
I've now been flying down to 50% changing locations and battery and flying it down to about 50%. I did this on Wednesday which seems to be best... Till Parrot gets us all new batteries. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John K