Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Switching from 2.4 ghz to 5.8 ghz

Howdy folks,

On my iPhone 8+ in Australia, I only get options for channels 1 to 11 & all are at 2.4 GHz. Is there no way at all to force it over to 5.8 GHz? I've tried it under manual & that has the same limited range of offerings too.

I have a MJX Bugs 5W drone & it pairs with my phone on 5.8 GHz perfectly!

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Fake GPS Tutorial

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
It should be possible to use 5.8 GHz in Australia with this list as reference: List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia and Radiocommunications (Low Interference Potential Devices) Class Licence 2015

Unfortunately, it is a great job to familiarize yourself with the different countries' rules. Note there may be restrictions on the different channels regarding the use for remote control. You can try searching the internet for "rc remote control australia" to move on.
Thanks for the reply Leif, it's much appreciated.

It is my experience that 5.8 GHz provides a very short range at least in coastal climate.

Regards, Leif.
Now that's interesting to hear, you are the first person I have heard to say that! It will be interesting to check out at the beach close to me, if I can get it to recognise 5G on my phone.

On the MJX Bugs 5W, I get a much further range than a friends Bugs 5W that operates on 2.4 GHz. I was assuming it would be the same for all drones. Will have to investigate it now. :unsure:

Reactions: Landbo

Now that's interesting to hear, you are the first person I have heard to say that! It will be interesting to check out at the beach close to me, if I can get it to recognise 5G on my phone.

On the MJX Bugs 5W, I get a much further range than a friends Bugs 5W that operates on 2.4 GHz. I was assuming it would be the same for all drones. Will have to investigate it now. :unsure:
Yes, this is possible in areas that are polluted with 2.4 GHz routers and hotspots. In these areas 5 GHz can reach better flight range.
But normally (no other Wifi spots in your area) 2.4 GHz allows a higher flight range.

The reason for the 5.8 GHz band usually does not go so far in coastal areas is due to the higher water vapor content of the air compared to what you probably have in the middle of Australia.

Regards, Leif.

Yes, this is possible in areas that are polluted with 2.4 GHz routers and hotspots. In these areas 5 GHz can reach better flight range.
But normally (no other Wifi spots in your area) 2.4 GHz allows a higher flight range.

The reason for the 5.8 GHz band usually does not go so far in coastal areas is due to the higher water vapor content of the air compared to what you probably have in the middle of Australia.

Regards, Leif.

Gentlemen, thank you both very much for the clarifications! Most places I fly are in natural areas, so usually wifi interference is not an issue, when I remember to turn the mobile to aeroplane mode after downloading the maps... :unsure:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh