Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Taking Anafi abroad by plane.

Liger 1956

Reaction score
I am going on holiday soon from the UK to Australia. I want to take my Anafi with me but I do not want it to be confiscated at airport security. I have looked on the internet and as we are flying with Emiates via Dubai, where drones are banned, the Anafi must travel in the hold. I assume that the Anafi battery must travel in hand baggage with the controller as this has a non removable lithium battery. We are also doing some internal flights on Qantas and Jetstar and they appear to want the Anafi in hand luggage. Are there any seasoned travellers who can give me their experience in transporting the Anafi and controller by plane?

Did you try to call the airlines you are going to use and ask them? May be a good idea as I guess that may lead to various problems.

I have looked on the internet as to what is required by the airlines. I will also look nearer our departure date as things can change. I am looking for real world experience with airport security as they are not run by the airlines.

Dubai could be a problem. Is it a stop over or just a connecting flight? If its a stop over it all depends on who you get checking. One of the Youtubers Peter McKinnon just went there for a photo shoot and he had his taken away but his buddy had one and they never gave it a second look. Peter Mckinnon when he was leaving had to show up early to get his drone back but it was not much trouble getting it back to take back home.

Here's the Australian rules. I suggest you carry it with you to show you would be permitted to fly it once here, and you had researched the Do's and Don'ts before you came.
Drones

Thanks for the link. I have already looked into the Australian rules, which are similar to the current UK ones, and I have downloaded the RPAS "Can I fly there" app onto my phone. There are an awful lot of heliports in Australia!

I have emailed Emirates and Qantas to ask for clarification of their rules as I would like something in writing to take with me. I would like a stress free holiday and as we are travelling with a change at Dubai there and back and internal Australian flights from Perth, Learmonth, Melbourne, Hobart, Cairns and Sydney I would rather not take the Anafi than have lengthy explanations at each check-in and airport security.

I just remembered to mention one thing for you. Learmonth is a joint Civilian/Military airfield. It should not make any difference, but be warned! It's interesting when you leave the Airport and head into Exmouth. You will go past a couple of sand-bagged fortifications that look like something out of WW2. These went up after September 11.

Flew from Melbourne to Perth then up to Kalgoorlie and back a few weeks ago. Drone and controller in a secure case in checked baggage, 2 batteries in a LiPo safe pack in carry on. No dramas at any point of the trip.

Reactions: Efliernz
Thanks for the information. It makes me feel a whole lot better. I assume that they were not bothered about the lithium battery in the controller as it is non removable and not very powerful.

Thanks for the information. It makes me feel a whole lot better. I assume that they were not bothered about the lithium battery in the controller as it is non removable and not very powerful.

I never even thought about the controller. The flight over the Perth, I actually had both batteries in the checked in bag in the same case as the drone. Still inside the LiPo safe bag.
Had looked at Virgin aus website and it actually said to put batteries in checked in luggage not carry on. Was only when at Kalgoorlie airport that I was told otherwise.

The Emirates site said drone in checked in baggage with or without battery . I emailed the airline and they said that the battery must be in carry on baggage. I must check that with the battery removed the Anafi does not move in it's case. If it does I will shape a piece of polystyrene to the same size as the battery.

Travelled from Australia to Netherlands and then back from Germany to Australia. Also from Australia to New Zealand and back. Anafi, controller and battery all in my carry on luggage with my camera gear. Never had one question about it.

The Emirates site said drone in checked in baggage with or without battery . I emailed the airline and they said that the battery must be in carry on baggage. I must check that with the battery removed the Anafi does not move in it's case. If it does I will shape a piece of polystyrene to the same size as the battery.
It doesn't, I carry mine like that regularly (without a battery connected). The rotors & legs pin it safely in place within the holder it comes in.

Travelled from Australia to Netherlands and then back from Germany to Australia. Also from Australia to New Zealand and back. Anafi, controller and battery all in my carry on luggage with my camera gear. Never had one question about it.
Which airlines did you use?

Which airlines did you use?
Qatar to and from Europe. Air New Zealand to and from New Zealand. Stopped in Doha and had to get off plane for a few hours stopover but didnt leave airport. So went threw airport security quite a few times over the trip. No issues.

Just to close out this thread I have, with a heavy heart, decided not to take my Anafi with me on my Australian Holiday. It is not getting it there and back that has prompted this decision. It is the fact that we have limited time in each location and the fact that in Australia there are many areas where the RPAS "Can I Fly There" app states that flyting is not permitted coupled with not being allowed to fly in National or Regional Parks. For example the Air Force base in Learmonth has a huge No Fly Zone which means that I could not use the Anafi in the Coral Bay area. The Victoria Parks Department states that drone flying is not permitted in the Great Coast Road National Park or the Pinacles National Park which we will visit during the 2 days that we are in the area. Tasmania is similar plus thay have a lot of bush fires at the moment which will mean additional manned fire fighting flights. Only Queensland appears to let you fly sensibly without having to arrange a permit or leaping through hoops. It is sad, and I know that the chance of getting caught flying where you shouldn't is slim, but for the sake of a relaxing holiday the Anafi will have to stay at home :cry:

Just to close out this thread I have, with a heavy heart, decided not to take my Anafi with me on my Australian Holiday. It is not getting it there and back that has prompted this decision. It is the fact that we have limited time in each location and the fact that in Australia there are many areas where the RPAS "Can I Fly There" app states that flyting is not permitted coupled with not being allowed to fly in National or Regional Parks. For example the Air Force base in Learmonth has a huge No Fly Zone which means that I could not use the Anafi in the Coral Bay area. The Victoria Parks Department states that drone flying is not permitted in the Great Coast Road National Park or the Pinacles National Park which we will visit during the 2 days that we are in the area. Tasmania is similar plus thay have a lot of bush fires at the moment which will mean additional manned fire fighting flights. Only Queensland appears to let you fly sensibly without having to arrange a permit or leaping through hoops. It is sad, and I know that the chance of getting caught flying where you shouldn't is slim, but for the sake of a relaxing holiday the Anafi will have to stay at home :cry:

OMG!!!!! I had never looked at the restricted airspace around Exmouth before. I probably would have taken my drone there, fired up the app and said "Oh ****!". Pearce Airbase, on the outskirts of Perth is also Military, but the NFZ is a hell of a lot smaller.

I just double-checked, and you CAN fly in the Pinnacles National Park. WA does not have no flying in National Parks (yet?) Folklore/common belief is that you can't, but a thorough check on their website there is no such ban stated, and the Can I fly there app does not show it as prohibited. You merely have to advise them of your intent to fly there (non-commercial) to ensure that it does not interfere with any operations occurring there. And of course, not fly over people, or interfere with airspace if there is controlled burns occurring.

Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) - Drones - Parks and Wildlife Service

I would have packed the bird in checked luggage minus battery. Very much doubt anyone would recognize the controller itself, and of course that cannot fly and looks like a lot of RC controller for cars etc if they did recognize it.

Just to close out this thread I have, with a heavy heart, decided not to take my Anafi with me on my Australian Holiday. It is not getting it there and back that has prompted this decision. It is the fact that we have limited time in each location and the fact that in Australia there are many areas where the RPAS "Can I Fly There" app states that flyting is not permitted coupled with not being allowed to fly in National or Regional Parks. For example the Air Force base in Learmonth has a huge No Fly Zone which means that I could not use the Anafi in the Coral Bay area. The Victoria Parks Department states that drone flying is not permitted in the Great Coast Road National Park or the Pinacles National Park which we will visit during the 2 days that we are in the area. Tasmania is similar plus thay have a lot of bush fires at the moment which will mean additional manned fire fighting flights. Only Queensland appears to let you fly sensibly without having to arrange a permit or leaping through hoops. It is sad, and I know that the chance of getting caught flying where you shouldn't is slim, but for the sake of a relaxing holiday the Anafi will have to stay at home ?

If you didn't get answers that made you confident and comfortable with bringing it best to leave the worries at home and not fly. Maybe there is something inexpensive you can pick up in Australia that would take o.k. photos and video but allows you to avoid putting your relatively expensive Anafi at risk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut