Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

unplug fan for winter flying?

ParrotAnafiFan

Reaction score
Anyone flown with the fan unplugged? Seems doable at about 60F -35F.

60F may be too high , but who knows, I have not tried it yet.

On my old Autel X-Star we used to tape up the vent holes when it was really cold out. Putting a piece of tape across the fan intake hole might be a option.

Anyone flown with the fan unplugged? Seems doable at about 60F -35F.

60F may be too high , but who knows, I have not tried it yet.

I really would not suggest it. The Anafi does not have any heatsinks, so relies on forced air to provide enough cooling for the chipset (actually the chipsets have thermal transfer pads to move heat to the RF shield cans, but they really do not do the work of heatsinks!).

Even in really cold enviroments, there just would not be enough forced airflow across the chipset to keep it cool.

Even in really cold enviroments, there just would not be enough forced airflow across the chipset to keep it cool.

If the spec states 104F is the max you can fly it in (Its going to blow 104F hot air), I don't see a problem with someone trying to fly it with no fan at 50F or colder especially with added cool wind, usually there is wind. Plus the fan is not that strong at all...

Why am I trying this? Gain in flight time with no drain on fan and if fan removed more gain in flight time.

Last edited:
If the spec states 104F is the max you can fly it in (Its going to blow 104F hot air), I don't see a problem with someone trying to fly it with no fan at 50F or colder especially with added cool wind, usually there is wind. Plus the fan is not that strong at all...

Why am I trying this? Gain in flight time with no drain on fan and if fan removed more gain in flight time.

Anafi has no passive cooling ability - it relies on forced air to cool the chips - even if ambient is 104F (40C) the forced air will be trying to stop the chipset from exceeding the designed operating temps.

With the ambient as cold as 0F (-18C) without forced air crossing the chipset - the Anafi will still over heat, as it has no means of removing the heat from the chipset.

Why don't you try and let us know.

In terms of power use - the fan uses ~150mA @ 5v, so 0.75 Watts of power. It runs at 12000rpm pushing around 0.35 cubic feet per minute.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dukejojo