Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

video quality

skycowboy2.0

Reaction score
hi, i got a new anafi about a week ago, I love it but having some trouble. after I download my video to my computer and play it back with windows media player the video glitches. it does not play back smooth. it stops, jumps ahead, stops jumps. I thought maybe it was cause I had it in sport mode so I changed to film mode, same thing.

hi, i got a new anafi about a week ago, I love it but having some trouble. after I download my video to my computer and play it back with windows media player the video glitches. it does not play back smooth. it stops, jumps ahead, stops jumps. I thought maybe it was cause I had it in sport mode so I changed to film mode, same thing.

As above, it sounds like you have a computer that is not able to process/view the4K video $K needs a lot of ram and processor to run smoothly...If it IS a decent spec system, try performing a check/clean of anything running on there using memory and processor cycles....too many programs running will slow down the system.

2009 windows 7 professional, Pentium (R) dual-core cpu, 4 gb ram, hp led monitor that is only 1080p capable. playing it with windows media player.

2009 windows 7 professional, Pentium (R) dual-core cpu, 4 gb ram, hp led monitor that is only 1080p capable. playing it with windows media player.

I don't think that will play 4K smoothly...You could try doing a thorough clean of the programs to free up some resources but I just don't that machine has enough "ummph"

I have almost the exact same set-up and the same problem. 4K runs fine on my wife's new computer. I have been shooting in 1080p which looks fine on my screen. I can export either 4K or 1080p in my editor, so 4K is available to make a DVD or send as a link to anyone, but the file size is significantly larger. For posting here, 1080 is more than enough.

I have the same problem that nothing I own will show 4K video smoothly. I limit myself to 2.7K max but I do use 1080p a lot as they are smaller file sizes, more choice of framerates, better zoom and faster to edit on my PC.

Reactions: CraigCam
The first time I tried my 4K action camera I thought it was faulty. No, the footage was alright, I just couldn't view it on my first choice of software. 4K is too much for a lot of software and hardware. Don't blame the camera or the SD card until you have eliminated the possibility that the fault is a lack of pixel-pummeling horsepower in your computer. Like a lot of other users, I stick to 1080p as I don't have a 4K screen to view it on even if I could process it smoothly. With that set-up, 4K is never going to work and will only torment you. Either stick to 1080p or invest in a new (or at least significantly newer) computer. You can demonstrate to yourself that it is your computer setup at fault by searching out sample 4K video to download. I expect you will have the same (or worse) frustrations with any 4K video.

thanks so much for the responses. I feel better about my anafi now. like Reconnaissance squadron said, I was starting to think the drone camera was faulty.. . . so can I make the anafi record in something besides 4k?

.... so can I make the anafi record in something besides 4k?
Sure. You can record in 4K, 2.7K, and 1080p, at various frame rates. Just tap the box on the lower right of the FPV screen that says 4K 30 fps. You see the 3 options. If you tap toward the upper section of the box you can change the frame rate. Maybe re-read the manual. It explains all this.

I use 1080p at 24 fps for moving subjects, but for static subjects 30 fps works fine.

You should also take into consideration that you might be able to use 4K in the future (e.g. updating your computer system). So it would make sense to record in 4K now. Most decent Non Linear Editing applications can work with downconverted 4K. You will be able to use it to produce 1920x1080 movies. Then, in the future, when you have a more powerful system you can load the projects again and output as 4K.
If you only record at lower resolutions today, you will probably regret it when you can eventually process 4K and only have lower resolution originals.
Think about it!
Regards
Douglas

Reactions: Senseicat
To check if the ‘ummph’ of a computer is the main reason of this video quality playback question and is only related to computer hardware, I did the following :

- Film an unprocessed 4K video of a 1 minute scene in ‘full-auto’ mode (climb at 10 m, rotate around the yaw axis for 90°, then full forward for 10m, lateral translation for 10m, then RTH). I rotated around the yaw axis because I wanted to check the ‘software stabilized’ image around this axis).
- Do the exact same footage with 2,7k quality and 1080p. Raw from the Anafi.
- Extract the 3 movies from the Anafi to the hard disk of my computer and see the result. I use the standard video player installed by default on Windows 10 (smoother than VLC to my experience).
- Put the 3 same movies on an USB stick, go to a computer shop, copy the 3 movies on the hard drives of the demo computers they have on the shelves and play them with the standard video player of windows 10.

... then try to resist the urge of buying a new computer with the latest graphic cards...

I never shoot in 4K, files are too big, hardware issues etc. always 1080 which is fine and easier to manage. Frankly unless you need professional grade video to play on real high end hardware, 4K is not needed

Here is a free and very efficient video player.
I have found this program to play 4K video smoothly on marginal systems when other programs fail. Download it and give it a try. If it does not work, then you definitely need to upgrade your computer.

Nope, didn't work on my 2009 Lenovo laptop. But I'll use it for other stuff. And I'm not going to give up Win7 until they drag my bleeding fingers off the keyboard!!! :mad:

lol same here rocky the fs. I cant give up windows 7. ok guys thanks again for the help. I shot some video today in 1080p and viola, videos are smooth as can be.

I love a happy ending!

I film in 4K a lot but also enjoy the outcome when I downscale it to 1080p.

If it’s a well shot video, it will still be compelling in the future even if it’s at 1080 in a 4K world. We still watch old movies in black and white because of the stories and art. It’s going to be awhile before we are at a 4K standard across the broadcast pipes with our unregulated internet providers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: tmgrood
Yeah, and the current ratio on YouTube is about 100, 000 poorly shot videos with no story at all to a couple hundred good ones! :mad: Lord, don't people have a sense of shame anymore?

Exceptions made for videos that are only how-to's. They help even if poorly shot.?

No, you can't see my videos! :censored:

Reactions: CraigCam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320