Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Winter flights in the mountains

Cap_Caos

Reaction score
I took a look, but I did not find a specific post, so ...

Next week I go to the mountains and I want to do some shooting.
The temperature should be around -10°C to -15°C (14°F to 5°F). Apart from keeping warm drone and batteries before the flight, do you have any other tips?
I read that in some cold situations already at 20% the batteries gave problems, so I ask at what percentage should I land to be safe?
Thanks

Keyword "keeping warm drone":
For my flights in cold weather I brought it outside 1/2 an hour before the planned flight (of course without battery!).
Reason: lens of Anafi's camera will not get misty.

But always be aware to keep the batteries warm. There is no general rule at which percentage you should land to prevent any sudden switch off/crashes. If you are unsure then the earlier you land the better. Even if it’s still at 30%.

See the other thread here...from experience in the cold...don’t push it and be down before 20% near you and 15% for landing. I dropped on my last ten feet after hovering to finish shot close by. When I lowered the stick for final land, it just shut off and dropped to the ground. Unlike the other post here, I was not above soft ground and damaged a motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Keyword "keeping warm drone":
For my flights in cold weather I brought it outside 1/2 an hour before the planned flight (of course without battery!).
Reason: lens of Anafi's camera will not get misty.

You are true... and thinking about, not only lens, but the electronics inside can be affected by condensation.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
See the other thread here...from experience in the cold...don’t push it and be down before 20% near you and 15% for landing. I dropped on my last ten feet after hovering to finish shot close by. When I lowered the stick for final land, it just shut off and dropped to the ground. Unlike the other post here, I was not above soft ground and damaged a motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking set fly limit around 25%: I have some batteries, and i have some days to get good shots, so i think i prefer don't push too much

Yeah I guess that’s the best idea. It’s not worth risking a crash and the Anafi usually has enough Fly time to get good shots. Better bring additional batteries or even an external power bank if required.

I agree with the posts recommending leaving a larger reserve in the batteries as lipos can drop voltage very quickly at these temperatures towards the end of their charge .
I think you will run an increased risk of condensation putting your equipment back into a warm bag or vehicle AFTER flying at these temperatures.I learned this with numerous DSLR's and lenses.
As with any electronics operated at this temperature,I would recommend putting them into a bag or container that is at the outside temperature after each flight(left open while you fly works great), seal the bag or container THEN take it into the warmth,leaving the package sealed.Go to your next location and open the container outside to fly again.
When done flying,leave it sealed for at least a couple of hours so it can slowly climb to the warmer temperature.Slow is the key.
The only exception I add to this is keeping your batteries warm at all times if possible.I use an insulated lunch kit with a "barley bag" I have gently heated in the microwave before leaving, or over my defroster element while traveling.

I fly at such temperatures.
What to pay attention to:
- go back home, so that when landing the battery charge was 30%
- when charging batteries less than 50%, do not rise at the maximum speed and do not switch on the maximum horizontal flight speed.
- warm the battery before flight

- Do not put the drone on the snow, do not take off from the snow. Snow closes the sensors and the CPU cooling fan. Take with you a platform for takeoff / landing or take off from your hand

Reactions: Thanev

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame