Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Yaw issue ... real danger.

I am thinking to a firmware issue from the very first moment: it is not a good behavior from Parrot to leave its customers in such a situation.
I think I'll never buy anything from them.
This bad support is enough for me.
Slowly, you won't have much to do because the DJI did exactly that. Instead of fixing Spark bugs, the newer firmware has made many new bugs. For many people, the remote control has become a brick since the last update.

Reactions: Rexgallorum
Slowly, you won't have much to do because the DJI did exactly that. Instead of fixing Spark bugs, the newer firmware has made many new bugs. For many people, the remote control has become a brick since the last update.

Yep unfortunatelyI know the problem...

Since I started my drone activity I owned three DJI Phantoms (one 1, one 2 Vision and one 3 Advanced) plus a Spark, one Bebop 2 and a Disco... Now I need an ultra portable quad because I am used to shoot hiking on the mountains.

Piloting models is my hobby so, as a dynamic model maker and pilot, I got some experience about wind, IMUs, compasses, barometers and so on.

With my in-house built 250racing quads I am used to pilot without any aid to stability or GPS helping me to keep height or position.

I bought retail drones ONLY for their video compartment and their batteries...but I think companies MUST OFFER SUPPORT to their customers.

If I search the web for news about issues related to the last firmware...I can find a lot of people complaining: why don't they fix these issues?!???!

I can't understand this behavior from companies like Parrot or DJI.

Nonsense.

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
I am thinking to a firmware issue from the very first moment: it is not a good behavior from Parrot to leave its customers in such a situation.
I think I'll never buy anything from them.
This bad support is enough for me.
Yep, I'm pretty much of the same mindset with Parrot now. Really was impressed with the Anafi when it first came out but over time it has demonstrated more glitches every time an update was applied.

I will still attempt to fix mine after this latest incident but IF I get it up and flying again I will never trust it again. My EVO is now my go to bird, period.

If I do add a second bird to my stable for regular use it probably will be one out of the DJI line. The Mini is looking good right now.

I have a different idea here, this could be a more general issue with foldable propellers...

Did you notice how slow the Anafi goes down ? Maximum vertical speed is only 2 m/s, but it can climb at 4-5 m/s ! There is a reason for that difference.

I'd say the problem is that you can't just block or reverse the motors in flight, so you lose a whole spectrum of flight control as soon as it's going down quickly. Stabilisation under turbulent flow conditions may require 1 or more motors to stop briefly, and at this point the foldable blades can rotate in any direction, which causes instability.

Fixed prop blades allow zero propulsion, or even acceleration towards the ground so would offer much more control (and could allow loopings, flying on the back, etc), but at a price, less security for the fingers and compactness...

What do you say ?

Reactions: MustangPhil
Yep, I'm pretty much of the same mindset with Parrot now. Really was impressed with the Anafi when it first came out but over time it has demonstrated more glitches every time an update was applied.

i have to disagree. For me every frimware update has been more or less positive for me. My latest flight was flawless and i've only noticed the yaw phenomenon in older videos and once recently when it was stupidly windy.

This was from 2018..........

I have a different idea here, this could be a more general issue with foldable propellers...

Did you notice how slow the Anafi goes down ? Maximum vertical speed is only 2 m/s, but it can climb at 4-5 m/s ! There is a reason for that difference.

I'd say the problem is that you can't just block or reverse the motors in flight, so you lose a whole spectrum of flight control as soon as it's going down quickly. Stabilisation under turbulent flow conditions may require 1 or more motors to stop briefly, and at this point the foldable blades can rotate in any direction, which causes instability.

Fixed prop blades allow zero propulsion, or even acceleration towards the ground so would offer much more control (and could allow loopings, flying on the back, etc), but at a price, less security for the fingers and compactness...

What do you say ?
And what does this topic have to do with it?

And what does this topic have to do with it?

Obviously my post flies over your head ? ;-) Maybe read it again, more slowly.

My point is that there is most likely no way to solve that issue with an update, except by limiting the speed downwards even more.

I also remarked a slight ‘flutter’ or ‘buffer’ effect when the Anafi is descending fast in a turbulent air environnement. The same occurs with a Phantom 4, for example fast-forward and descend or hover in wind not that strong but turbulent... but with thicker props.

The nature of the thin propellers of the Anafi is wonderful for its low-noise, the overall weight of the drone and for its capacity to ‘fight’ wind gusts. The ‘Aeroelasticity’ of the propellers must fit the engine management algorithms...

It looks like the fast motions that allow the Anafi to stabilize may cause awkward attitudes that can cause yaw brutal changes or motor shutdowns if the drone estimates a ‘dangerous attitude’ is reached (not sure but it is an hypothesis...). Like when you shut the motors with a 90° fast rotation in hand landing... that was improved overtime... but may also impact the flight model algorithm.

There may be a problem with the recent firmwares (where engines where ‘unleashed’ ;o) and new features did promote fast flying, ‘FPV racers like’. This set of new features may have impacted the overall flight model, even in normal flight.

I hope Parrot reads this kind of thread, where we clearly say :
- Stop adding useless new features.
- Make the Anafi a ‘Safe Bird’ (Solid flight model, magnetic rejection algorithms, better indoor flight management...)
- Please !

I also remarked a slight ‘flutter’ or ‘buffer’ effect when the Anafi is descending fast in a turbulent air environnement. The same occurs with a Phantom 4, for example fast-forward and descend or hover in wind not that strong but turbulent... but with thicker props.

The nature of the thin propellers of the Anafi is wonderful for its low-noise, the overall weight of the drone and for its capacity to ‘fight’ wind gusts. The ‘Aeroelasticity’ of the propellers must fit the engine management algorithms...

It looks like the fast motions that allow the Anafi to stabilize may cause awkward attitudes that can cause yaw brutal changes or motor shutdowns if the drone estimates a ‘dangerous attitude’ is reached (not sure but it is an hypothesis...). Like when you shut the motors with a 90° fast rotation in hand landing... that was improved overtime... but may also impact the flight model algorithm.

There may be a problem with the recent firmwares (where engines where ‘unleashed’ ;o) and new features did promote fast flying, ‘FPV racers like’. This set of new features may have impacted the overall flight model, even in normal flight.

I hope Parrot reads this kind of thread, where we clearly say :
- Stop adding useless new features.
- Make the Anafi a ‘Safe Bird’ (Solid flight model, magnetic rejection algorithms, better indoor flight management...)
- Please !

Thanks to illustrate my hypothesis with better words, the Anafi is a light bird and will never be a ‘FPV racer’. The videos in the original post maybe just show the limit of the flight enveloppe, 53 km/h and 2 m/s vertical descent... Pushing too hard could have unexpected consequences, most planes become uncontrollable when they fly too fast, and playing with software is sometimes tricky, see Boeing's 737 max ! Thanks to the OP also, to warn about this potential issue, as a newbie I hadn't tried that manoeuver yet.

That said, the pilot has the liberty and responsibilty to chose a flight mode and flight parameters that are safe for his capabilities, Parrot could just rename the 'sport mode' into 'kamikaze mode' if they find a way to push the limits even further, then add a warning in the app and a clause to the warranty : 'at your own risk'...

Hello everyone!!!

Did anyone else notice what I experienced this morning?

Left stick all the way down,
right stick all the way forward:

Anafi yaws without control left and right.

In other words:
pitch" all the way down
+ "movement" all the way forward...

Anafi rotates on Z axis without any reason, "nose" pointing to the left and then to the right, maintaining the main direction.

Pre-take-off calibration performed ... no wind at all ... Anafi and controller updated ... iOS app up to date.

Do you have any ideas? ???
Bugs on the new firmwares?

Please find below a link to a YouTube video which can better explain my problem...

Yaw issue

Yaw issue 2

Thank you!!!

Did you ever fix the issue? My anafi randomly started doing this as well!

Hello all! If you had an anafi fall from the sky please post what type of phone and operating system you are using as I suspect most if not all issues are occuring with Androids

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456