Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Fell Out Of The Sky

Hello People

I am a new entry at ParrotPilots, even though I have been occasionally visiting this forum in the past. ParrotPilots is the best place on the web that I have found so far for Parrot Anafi users, with a lot of useful information and, generally speaking, honest and thoughtful opinions.

I am based in Italy and I have owned a Parrot Anafi since the beginning of July, when the drone was made available for sale. I have about 45 flights with Anafi under my belt and more than 100 flights with a Mavic Pro. Previously, I have also owned a few toy quads, without gps. I consider myself a medium experienced pilot, very much concerned about flight safety and responsible use of drones. Today I have experienced my first serious incident with a drone.

It may be a coincidence, but I think it is worth to mention that today I flew the drone for the first time after the update of FreeFlight and the firmware to the latest versions. The incident occurred during the third flight of the day, just a few seconds in the flight. I was doing the usual functional checks after take-off: double check gps lock, adjust video settings, double check battery levels and check responsiveness to controller’s inputs. In the meantime, the drone was hovering a few meters far from me and about 8 meters high. Doing the input checks, I noticed that the gimbal elevation was not responding, as well as jawing to the left; jawing to the right was ok. However, something weird happened when I touched the right stick of the controller: I saw the landing message on the top of the screen and just a fraction of a second after I heard the motors cut off. Then, the quad fell down like a stone. Fortunately, the Anafi was hovering over grassland and it didn’t break when she hit the ground: at least I couldn’t see any evidence of external damage in the field, apart from a few scratches (negligible), some dirt and wet grass here and there. Even the propellers looked OK. I carefully cleaned, inspected and tested the Anafi when I returned home and everything seems to work perfectly. I would exclude a power cut off, as the quad was beeping after the crash and still linked to phone and controller. I didn’t see any birds around, so I have to exclude a bird strike as well. The temperature was quite mild, considering the period of the year: about 12 °C with beautifully patch-clouded skies.

After all, I have to say that I’ve been very lucky; cannot even think about the consequences, would the accident have occurred in the middle of the flight, far from me, higher in the sky and over rocky terrain. However, this event has undermined my confidence with this drone; I know that this feeling is going to be hard to overcome, at least until I fully understand what happened and why.

This is actually the reason why I am posting this: sharing the experience and, possibly getting some suggestions from other experienced pilots. I have also sent an incident report to Parrot and I hope they will reply soon with a satisfactory answer.

I am attaching a screenshot of Flight Data Manager, just in case you can dig out additional useful data.

Other specific information:

- Samsung S9 Plus with Android 8.0.0 Oreo
- FreeFlight 6.2.0
- Controller firmware 1.2.0
- Drone firmware 1.2.1
- Pre-flight checks successfully completed: camera cover OFF, gimbal movement OK, propellers OK, battery securely locked and with enough charge (50%), calibration dance OK, NO interference, gps lock OK.

By the way, you may find a couple of pictures of the place where I was flying; they were shot during the flight before, which went on uneventfully. View attachment 446View attachment 446Flight Data_.jpg

Looks like the flight data cut off too - it doesnt show the altitiude drop off - so seems a complete lipo shut off with zero power.

I'd check your battery installation. The lipo may not have been plugged in correctly and vibrated loose

Looks like the flight data cut off too - it doesnt show the altitiude drop off - so seems a complete lipo shut off with zero power.

I'd check your battery installation. The lipo may not have been plugged in correctly and vibrated loose

Thanks for your message, cheetah2k. Checking that the battery is secured and in place is part of my pre-flight checks routine. If the failure is really due to a wrong battery installation, it means that either my check is not performed effectively or the failure is due to bad tolerances between the battery and the drone. The last option would be quite scary, actually...

Anyway, I have been contacted by Parrot Support today; I hope that they will be able to determine the failure cause soon. If it's due to human error it's ok... the drone is still working and I am not looking for a free replacement... If the issue is due to defective hardware or a bug in the software, I hope that Parrot will fix it soon. I just want to be confident that this is not going to happen again.

I'll keep you informed.

Saluti :)
EasyGlider

Could be that the battery wasnt locked . It happened to me a few times that i noticed i didnt put the battery correctly in the anafi. It only was clipped in the front and not locked with the bottom clip. I flew a few times and when te drone came back from a flight i noticed that i didnt put the battery in correctly, ofcourse my fault. Luckily nothing happened. Therefore now before each flight i double double check and pay especially attention to this, because sometimes in a haste you put a new battery in and it is not locked. Maybe something like this also happened to you, only you were not lucky and the battery popped out during flight

I see your point and it makes perfect sense to me. I have experienced the occasional gap between the battery and the drone in the early stages. I also learned from the web that this was an issue common to other users. So I have developed a technique to slide the battery in place and double check that it's secured without gaps. I do this all the times before flight. Now I am concerned that this may not be enough and the issue might be due to bad tolerances between the drone and the battery. Another possible cause might be a faulty battery.
In any case, I am not going to fly my Anafi until Parrot can provide an official opinion on the incident.

Thank you very much for your messages and your attention.

By the way, I want to make it clear that I still love the Anafi; I think it's a great piece of technology. What I like most is the portability and the ease of use. Even if I put reliability and safety on top of my priority list, I am not pointing fingers, as I am fully aware that this kind of issues may also happen with other brands and models... what makes the difference, in my humble opinion, is the way the various manufacturers react to improve its products.

Looking at the connection between the battery and the craft I can only imagine the battery would have shift quite a distance to lose connection?

Just a quick follow up about the incident. I got an official response from Parrot stating that the incident was caused by a software bug. They couldn't be more precise but I understand. My ANAFI will be replaced by a new one under warranty. I am now waiting for their instructions about such replacement.

I should wait until the new ANAFI is in my hand for a full and definitive opinion; however, I must say that so far I am positively impressed by Parrot for their excellent Customer Support and the speed of reaction. As I said before, that's what really make the difference between the various Manufacturers on the Market.

I shall keep you posted

Saluti
EasyGlider

Reactions: IM35461 and Ratmir
Just a quick follow up about the incident. I got an official response from Parrot stating that the incident was caused by a software bug. They couldn't be more precise but I understand. My ANAFI will be replaced by a new one under warranty. I am now waiting for their instructions about such replacement.

I should wait until the new ANAFI is in my hand for a full and definitive opinion; however, I must say that so far I am positively impressed by Parrot for their excellent Customer Support and the speed of reaction. As I said before, that's what really make the difference between the various Manufacturers on the Market.

I shall keep you posted

Saluti
EasyGlider

ummmmm a software bug!!?? Ok my bird is grounded until the next update!!

Reactions: Ratmir

I shall keep you posted

Saluti
EasyGlider

Glad to hear about the good service from Parrot!

I shall keep you posted

Saluti
EasyGlider

I'm glad Parrot has admitted software error so there will probably soon arrive a new Anafi to you by mail.

It does not sound good with that software bug when we all then fly around with the same insect inside our Anafi. :eek:

I will still fly until Parrot has sent me an official request to keep my Anafi on the ground.

Regards Leif.

Thought I would post after searching for Anafi falls out of sky as it happened to me. Temperature was 22 degrees sun was rising so sent up Anafi to get some pictures. No serious flying just went up about 150 feet and a 100 feet out and was going back and forth between 4k video and taking still pictures in Jpeg/DNG format. every picture I took it seemed the app would pause for about 5 seconds as the picture was saved. I had just looked up at Anafi then back down at the app to frame another picture when I heard what I thought was a branch or piece of bark breaking off a tree and looked over as it was falling down..Took a second after I looked back up to see the Anafi was no longer in the air and that wasn't a branch I heard but my Drone. Battery separated and fell onto the hard crusted snow but the Anafi had snagged a branch and was hanging up about 30 feet in the air. I was able to shake the tree enough that the Anafi fell and I was able to catch it. the battery was 62 percent right before it fell. I had a lot of scuff marks on drone and battery casing had to be snapped back into place but it seems to have survived and I took it up and just watched it till battery down to 50 percent no problem. I own about 6 six drones mostly DJI and I really like this Anafi but this falling out of the sky needs to be fixed. I am guessing that 1 was to cold and after a while battery shut off? 2 taking pictures which I had mostly used video before caused some quirk. 3 the plastic expanded due to cold and caused connection with battery to fail? anyway just adding what happened to me to help a fix because I am a little leery now about when this might happen again..I am leaning towards thinking this drone just can't handle cold well.

Hello People

I am a new entry at ParrotPilots, even though I have been occasionally visiting this forum in the past. ParrotPilots is the best place on the web that I have found so far for Parrot Anafi users, with a lot of useful information and, generally speaking, honest and thoughtful opinions.

I am based in Italy and I have owned a Parrot Anafi since the beginning of July, when the drone was made available for sale. I have about 45 flights with Anafi under my belt and more than 100 flights with a Mavic Pro. Previously, I have also owned a few toy quads, without gps. I consider myself a medium experienced pilot, very much concerned about flight safety and responsible use of drones. Today I have experienced my first serious incident with a drone.

It may be a coincidence, but I think it is worth to mention that today I flew the drone for the first time after the update of FreeFlight and the firmware to the latest versions. The incident occurred during the third flight of the day, just a few seconds in the flight. I was doing the usual functional checks after take-off: double check gps lock, adjust video settings, double check battery levels and check responsiveness to controller’s inputs. In the meantime, the drone was hovering a few meters far from me and about 8 meters high. Doing the input checks, I noticed that the gimbal elevation was not responding, as well as jawing to the left; jawing to the right was ok. However, something weird happened when I touched the right stick of the controller: I saw the landing message on the top of the screen and just a fraction of a second after I heard the motors cut off. Then, the quad fell down like a stone. Fortunately, the Anafi was hovering over grassland and it didn’t break when she hit the ground: at least I couldn’t see any evidence of external damage in the field, apart from a few scratches (negligible), some dirt and wet grass here and there. Even the propellers looked OK. I carefully cleaned, inspected and tested the Anafi when I returned home and everything seems to work perfectly. I would exclude a power cut off, as the quad was beeping after the crash and still linked to phone and controller. I didn’t see any birds around, so I have to exclude a bird strike as well. The temperature was quite mild, considering the period of the year: about 12 °C with beautifully patch-clouded skies.

After all, I have to say that I’ve been very lucky; cannot even think about the consequences, would the accident have occurred in the middle of the flight, far from me, higher in the sky and over rocky terrain. However, this event has undermined my confidence with this drone; I know that this feeling is going to be hard to overcome, at least until I fully understand what happened and why.

This is actually the reason why I am posting this: sharing the experience and, possibly getting some suggestions from other experienced pilots. I have also sent an incident report to Parrot and I hope they will reply soon with a satisfactory answer.

I am attaching a screenshot of Flight Data Manager, just in case you can dig out additional useful data.

Other specific information:

- Samsung S9 Plus with Android 8.0.0 Oreo
- FreeFlight 6.2.0
- Controller firmware 1.2.0
- Drone firmware 1.2.1
- Pre-flight checks successfully completed: camera cover OFF, gimbal movement OK, propellers OK, battery securely locked and with enough charge (50%), calibration dance OK, NO interference, gps lock OK.

By the way, you may find a couple of pictures of the place where I was flying; they were shot during the flight before, which went on uneventfully. View attachment 446View attachment 446View attachment 448
I also have a bad experience of being falling down from the sky without reason from 50 metre height
It was suddenly off and fall like a stone, hit the ground and the gimbal, the 2 of feet (front n back) broke and the battery also damage
I already claim to parrot and the parrot replace a new one to me after answer some question and give them the data.
Now I didn't have a self confident to have a flight my parrot anafi far and high and I now always analyze what happen at that time
I think sharing and maybe some reader can give me some advice
Thanks you

That date was 20th of October 2019

I also have a bad experience of being falling down from the sky without reason from 50 metre height
It was suddenly off and fall like a stone, hit the ground and the gimbal, the 2 of feet (front n back) broke and the battery also damage
I already claim to parrot and the parrot replace a new one to me after answer some question and give them the data.
Now I didn't have a self confident to have a flight my parrot anafi far and high and I now always analyze what happen at that time
I think sharing and maybe some reader can give me some advice
Thanks you

That date was 20th of October 2019

Everytime I use any of my drones, I keep into account that it might be its last flight. I know, it's expensive equipment, so don't get me wrong; I mean it in a positive way. I never neglect to do pre-flight checks, observe the environment where I am flying, stay focused during flight, avoid flying over people and, especially in winter time, never go lower than 25% with the battery. However, we all have to accept that the current technology is not 100% fail-proof and things might happen disregarding of our good behavour and care. I now it might sound weird but, once you get into this state of mind, you will feel more relaxed and enjoy the ride, rather than being overstressed thinking all the time about a potential catastophic failure.

Everytime I use any of my drones, I keep into account that it might be its last flight. I know, it's expensive equipment, so don't get me wrong; I mean it in a positive way. I never neglect to do pre-flight checks, observe the environment where I am flying, stay focused during flight, avoid flying over people and, especially in winter time, never go lower than 25% with the battery. However, we all have to accept that the current technology is not 100% fail-proof and things might happen disregarding of our good behavour and care. I now it might sound weird but, once you get into this state of mind, you will feel more relaxed and enjoy the ride, rather than being overstressed thinking all the time about a potential catastophic failure.

I agree.
All summer long I wanted to fly out to the lighthouse on Lake Superior but knew if something happened out over the water it was game over for my Anafi. The flight out to the lighthouse is 1.27 KM. By the fall time I just made piece with myself that I might not ever see my Anafi again and took the chance to get some great video. I was very happy that I just made my mind up to go for it. It all turned out great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critinator